PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1873 Tang Sight Question

Finster101
02-15-2021, 12:01 PM
Just purchased a Marbles tang sight on the forum. I am by no means a gunsmith. I see the one screw on the tang so I am assuming that I will have to have a hole drilled and tapped for the front hole on the base. Is that correct or do I have the wrong base? I know that sounds dumb to some of you but I just don't know and to be honest it has been probably a couple of years since I have taken this rifle out of the safe.

Thanks,
James

Bent Ramrod
02-15-2021, 12:14 PM
I don’t know what the Italians are currently doing, but if your rifle is an accurate Winchester clone, it should have the small plugged hole for the front screw on the tang sight and will use the tang screw hole (the one that connects both tangs through the wood) for the rear attachment.

The tang sight should have come with a headed small screw of the same size&thread as the plug screw in front, and a rear one slightly longer than than the stock tang screw, tapered and threaded the same, with a slightly smaller head, to fit the rear of the base.

Finster101
02-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Bent Ramrod, thanks for that explanation. This is an older rifle purchased in 81-82. I don't remember the exact year but I still have the receipt from the Bamberg Rod&Gun, I just don't feel like digging it out. Just so you know I'm not a complete idiot here is the reason for my confusion.

As you can see I have only the one tang screw. I had the rifle out so I took a couple more pics.

DAVIDMAGNUM
02-15-2021, 06:05 PM
The second hole has to be drilled and tapped. They are usually 10X32 if my memory is correct. I did a Uberti 1873 rifle for a Marbles Tang sight. The tang sight bases for most of the Marbles will have the same screw hole distances. The main difference is the detent spring. The bump in the spring sets the angle of the post to match the angle of your rifles tang.
Depending on your skillset and available tools you have to decide if this is a do it yourself project.

Hint: After the tang sight is installed if you find the sight is tilted....as the post is screwed in and out the point of impact drifts left or right there is an easy remedy. Loosen both sight base tang screws and place a soda (pop) can shim under one side of the base. I have done this to a couple of rifles and it works well. I don't think Marble's is making crooked sights. It is more likely that the sight base and the tang just don't mate perfectly.

FLINTNFIRE
02-15-2021, 07:43 PM
Most Ubertis are not drilled and tapped , my 86 is but not my pair of 73 or the 76 I bought , but I am not putting a marbles on them , go with a Soule sight they look right .

Randy Bohannon
02-15-2021, 07:50 PM
It will need to be drilled and tapped if you want a tang sight, the upside is you have room to use what you want. If I liked the rifle and was to keep it for a good while consider the MVA Pope style tang sight considerable more money but considerably much better built sight by a lot.

Finster101
02-15-2021, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. It has lived without one this long I reckon it can wait a while longer. I am hoping to start shooting it a bit more in the near future. It probably doesn't have 300 rounds through it and all factory ammo at that.

jimb16
02-18-2021, 05:11 PM
I put the same sight on my 73. Had to have the hole drilled and tapped. Didn't get any screws with my sight. I've got a local smith who did a perfect job on it. Brought the group sizes down from 3 1/2 inch at 50 yards to under 1 inch. makes a huge difference.