PDA

View Full Version : Musket caps

toot
02-15-2021, 09:13 AM
is there any type of gadget out there that can be used to make them, as the one that makes # 11caps, called TAP A CAP? I would rely like to have one it it does exist? can't be leave that no one has made one yet?

toot
02-15-2021, 09:22 AM
I have a TAP A CAP, for #11 caps. that I purchased from MANNY IN CA. for around $55.00 or so. it works fine but the homage aluminum caps leave a little/ lot to be desired, in my opinion. JMHO.

nightwolf1974
02-15-2021, 10:18 AM
I'm surprised nobody has made one yet either...although, at this point I'm not into making my own yet.

Idz
09-13-2021, 02:39 PM
If you're still interested I have a drawing of my musket capmaker in this thread:
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274339-Guide-to-making-percussion-caps&highlight=guide+to+making+percussion+caps

beagle74
09-14-2021, 08:03 PM
If you are close to NY, I have 5 tins I will give you, I don't think they can be shipped, or it won't be feasible.

GregLaROCHE
09-15-2021, 05:13 AM
If you're still interested I have a drawing of my musket capmaker in this thread:
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274339-Guide-to-making-percussion-caps&highlight=guide+to+making+percussion+caps

I don’t understand. I looked at the link and I seems that only 4F powder is being used. Is that true? Will only the powder ignite with the pressure of the hammer striking it?

Nobade
09-15-2021, 07:25 AM
I made one, just scaled up the design on the regular tap o cap. It works just fine, and with the greater amount of priming mixture in the musket caps is always sure fire. I do think that if a person had an automated lathe it would be a good product to bring to the market. And no, you don't use gunpowder in them. You have to use an impact sensitive primary explosive mixture such as FA48 or other known priming compositions.

Thundermaker
09-27-2021, 06:46 PM
I don’t understand. I looked at the link and I seems that only 4F powder is being used. Is that true? Will only the powder ignite with the pressure of the hammer striking it?

I read an article once about a Japanese poacher who used an old percussion musket. He made his own powder, but couldn't get percussion caps.

He used black powder mixed with rice hulls for a primer. He'd pack a pinch of it in a bubble of plastic wrap and push it down on the nipple.

I don't know what the ratio of hulls to power was or how reliable it would be.

dondiego
09-27-2021, 07:20 PM
I read an article once about a Japanese poacher who used an old percussion musket. He made his own powder, but couldn't get percussion caps.

He used black powder mixed with rice hulls for a primer. He'd pack a pinch of it in a bubble of plastic wrap and push it down on the nipple.

I don't know what the ratio of hulls to power was or how reliable it would be.

I don't think that he would have gotten one of his shots to go off with that recipe. I think it is more likely that he used matches.

bob208
09-27-2021, 11:59 PM
just buy a nipple that will take no. 11 caps. it works just fine I have one on mississippi