PDA

View Full Version : Who made this mold?

alamogunr
12-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I had some time on my hands yesterday and it was too cold (teens! Cold for W.TN) to do much of anything that required fresh air, so I decided to inventory my molds. I've needed to do this for some time. Several years ago I went thru a period of buying molds on ebay. Most were in very good condition. A few showed indications of abuse. One of the good ones that I had forgotten about and couldn't find any info on had no indication of who made it. It is a two cavity iron mold. The only numbers on it are 290442. From measuring the cavities with calipers, it appears to be a .44 cal. (.430dia) round nose. I haven't cast with it so I don't know the boolet weight. Each block has a "1" stamped on the end. There is an extra 3/16th dia hole drilled and c'bored from the bottom into the handle groove. The only thing I can think of is that it may have been remachined from blocks for a smaller boolet, indicated by the numbers. Anybody have any other ideas?

By the way, counting GB's, my collection (I didn't consider it a collection until I saw how many there were) consists of 72 molds. Something tells me I won't live long enough to use all of them to any great extent.

John

billyb
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
What you describe is a Magma mold. I have and use four of the 45 auto molds, cast great boolits. They use a spring loaded sprue plate.The molds are made for thier machine,but can be adapted to hand casting. You have to modify handles to hand cast,and get a hand casting sprue plate. Bill

alamogunr
12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
What you describe is a Magma mold. I have and use four of the 45 auto molds, cast great boolits. They use a spring loaded sprue plate.The molds are made for thier machine,but can be adapted to hand casting. You have to modify handles to hand cast,and get a hand casting sprue plate. Bill

This mold already has a hand casting sprue plate. I didn't think to mention that. I went to Magma's web site to see if there was anything about their numbering scheme but the designations were not in the format of the number shown on my mold. No .44 cal. molds shown.

John

Tom Myers
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
If your could use a neat way to catalog your molds, this is something that I worked up for my mold collection and it works quite well for me.

You can check it out at this link:

Mold List (http://www.tmtpages.com/MoldListBuy/)

Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/)

http://www.tmtpages.com/MoldListBuy/images/molddata.gif

alamogunr
12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for reminding me, Tom! I have visited your site several times in the past. Despite working for several years in the business systems department prior to retirement, I am still intimidated by PC's and Windows. My intuition and Windows and it's software are at 180º. I have been considering the mold DB as well as the one that is specifically for firearms. I guess you could call my guns a collection. They have outgrown my safe at any rate.