PDA

View Full Version : A new Old Revolver.

rintinglen
02-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Last month I got a new visitor, a post war (WW I) S&W 32 Hand Ejector that had been made into a presentation gun for a gentleman by name of "Alvin C. Cooper." This gun dates to sometime in the mid 20's and has the 1/10th inch front site that followed the older razor blades. It shot pretty well, though I need to dig through my stuff and find my stash of 32 S&W Long's to give it a chance at greater glory. The holster is just a "Saturday Afternoon Special" I sewed up. The nickel is peeling from the side plate where Mr. Cooper's name was engraved, and the gold plating is worn, but overall it is in pretty nice shape for a 95-ish year old gun.

osage
02-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Very nice old piece.

Texas by God
02-14-2021, 09:57 PM
Oh my, get those Packys off of it!
Just kidding, what a cool revolver that is. And The holster is just right.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Murphy
02-14-2021, 10:37 PM
That's a dandy fella. While I don't own a .32 I've always had an itching for one.

Nice holster work by the way.

Murphy

RKJ
02-15-2021, 09:16 AM
It does need some nice wood grips on it. :) That's a nice looking holster too.

Thumbcocker
02-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Sweeettt

Dale53
02-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Actually,
Those Packmayr's look perfect to me for a proper field pistol. If that revolver has a good sight picture and shoots to the sights with an effective load, it would be near perfect for an edible small game pistol. I used my S&W 631 for many years in the field. My loads, were often using S&W Long cases loading a proper home cast bullet at levels that even that older revolver could use without issue. The loads were VERY useful in the field. Great backup piece when you are bird hunting with a shotgun for those sitting rabbits and wounded grouse, for sure!

Good looking early .32 S&W Long, for sure!

Dale53

rintinglen
02-15-2021, 11:27 AM
The wooden grips it came with are so small I think Barbie could use them. The Pachmayrs were gathering dust so I put them to work.

Alstep
02-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Glad you have the original grips to go with it. Nice piece.

rintinglen
02-15-2021, 03:08 PM
If I find my stash of 32 ammo, I will give it a go Wednesday.

MT Gianni
02-15-2021, 03:11 PM
Very nice looking revolver. Mine is only 70 years old and dotes on low charges of Red Dot and the Lee 90 gr TL bullet.

Green Frog
02-15-2021, 06:44 PM
Actually,
Those Packmayr's look perfect to me for a proper field pistol. If that revolver has a good sight picture and shoots to the sights with an effective load, it would be near perfect for an edible small game pistol. I used my S&W 631 for many years in the field. My loads, were often using S&W Long cases loading a proper home cast bullet at levels that even that older revolver could use without issue. The loads were VERY useful in the field. Great backup piece when you are bird hunting with a shotgun for those sitting rabbits and wounded grouse, for sure!

Good looking early .32 S&W Long, for sure!

Dale53

C'mon Dale, is all of your taste in your tongue? You know those Goodyear Grips are an abomination! :kidding:

rintinglen, even with Barbie's grips on it, you can handle it... but if you want the coolest grips around, see if you can find a set of the Walnut target grips from the late, lamented Mustang Grip Co. The J frame grips completely enclose the grip frame and look just right, as well as giving a nice, hand-filling feel. Of course I don't have to tell you about loading some fun shooting ammo for that, so I'll just wait for you to post range results. Good find, my friend!

Froggie

PS I'm starting to get locked in to 100-106 gr LSWCs and Bullseye or maybe 231 for my 32 S&W L reloads. Just a FYI. :Fire:

Dale53
02-16-2021, 11:41 AM
Froggie;
I am just going to "roll my eyes" at your comments:bigsmyl2:

As you know, I am all about "Performance" with my handguns. Anything practical that makes SHOOTING more pleasure, I am up for it. Packmayrs are just flat more pleasure for me to shoot. Plus, for me, they just feel "RIGHT".

But, we can still be friends, in spite of our differences![smilie=l:

FWIW
Dale53

Green Frog
02-17-2021, 11:49 AM
Froggie;
I am just going to "roll my eyes" at your comments:bigsmyl2:

As you know, I am all about "Performance" with my handguns. Anything practical that makes SHOOTING more pleasure, I am up for it. Packmayrs are just flat more pleasure for me to shoot. Plus, for me, they just feel "RIGHT".

But, we can still be friends, in spite of our differences![smilie=l:

FWIW
Dale53

I don’t know... will you fill me up with good food and drink if I come visit?? :mrgreen:

Dale53
02-17-2021, 09:18 PM
Charlie;
I will fill you so full of WONDERFUL food and drink, that you will WADDLE on the way home!!!:drinks:

Dale53

Petrol & Powder
02-17-2021, 09:53 PM
That's a fine gun.

Congrats.

Low Budget Shooter
02-27-2021, 03:28 PM
A privilege getting to look at such a fine old gun.

rintinglen
03-01-2021, 11:35 AM
I did take it out to the range and was pleasantly surprised by accuracy--until the sun came out. Bright sunlight and bright nickel make for poor sight definition.

I ran it through a modified NH State qualification course (Modified because I only had 30 rounds left) and did pretty well, a 28/30. If the clouds hadn't broken up, I doubt I would have missed any, but the shiny sights and 67 year old eyes just didn't work very well, especially at 25 yards. I had fired a nice 3 1/8" 6 shot group earlier at 25 yards, from a 25 yard barricade position. But it went south when the sun came out.

Dale53
03-01-2021, 12:38 PM
Rintinglen;
I am sure that your shooting experience has shown the benefit of some “sight black” for your next range trip. That should handle that minor problem fine. It sounds like a great first outing with that fine historic piece.

Dale53”