PDA

View Full Version : Jim Stewart or Littleton shot maker?

Jbar4Ranch
12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Has anyone used them both? The major differences seem to be that Jim Stewart's "The Better Shot Maker" is made in 220v only, is finished in black, and has a cast iron pan, while the Littleton is offered in 110 or 220v, is finished in blue, and has an aluminum pan. Both are $375.

When these things turn up on the auction sites, they go for essentially the same as new, so I think I'll just go with new. I'm leaning toward The Better Shot Maker.

12-23-2008, 04:31 PM
The jimmy stewert one is the only way to go. The best way to see is call them both. You will not get any one at littleton but you can reach jim and he is always helpful. I have 2 of his and a 3rd that is a converted over littleton.

Sitsinhedges
12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Stewarts seem to be better from what I've read

duke76
12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I dont know anything about a Littleton but I have a James Stewart and it is the bomb. Todd

crowbeaner
12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Better check your prices again; I paid $450 for my Littleton this past June. Their prices went up and they haven't updated the website in 7 years.

Jbar4Ranch
12-24-2008, 12:35 AM
That's good to know - the $375 price came off their Web site.

(edit) Seems to me that the Department of Weights & Measures really frowns on advertising a price, then charging more for the item when you go to buy it... like big fines, etc.

12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
look up trapshooters.com ??? look for shoot makers. there are some videos on the jimmy stewert.

Hardcast416taylor
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
A friend, yes I have a friend, has a maker that has no name only made in Australia on it. It must have metric nozzels cause the ww/pb shot doesn`t equal the inch measurment of U.S. made shot. He can`t make it fast enough for a sport shop in Pittsburg. BTW he drops it into vegetable oil not diesal fuel. He adds a touch of fine graphite tumbles it in a small drum and bags it. :coffee: Robert

Sitsinhedges
12-24-2008, 03:37 PM
A friend, yes I have a friend, has a maker that has no name only made in Australia on it. It must have metric nozzels cause the ww/pb shot doesn`t equal the inch measurment of U.S. made shot. He can`t make it fast enough for a sport shop in Pittsburg. BTW he drops it into vegetable oil not diesal fuel. He adds a touch of fine graphite tumbles it in a small drum and bags it. :coffee: Robert

Veg oil makes good shot but is impossible to clean off properly and will ultimately go rancid and stink, it will also leave a trace in your loader tubes for the powder to stick to and is filthy, not a good idea. Use a water washable coolant and save half the work.

southpaw
01-24-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a littleton. bought it this past august. ran 4-5 hundred pounds through it. I may have gotten lucky but my first batch was a keeper. Not perfect but good enough. I have since tinkered with it and have gotten it rounder and pretty much gotten rid of the dimply. the drop is about 1/2-3/4". coolant is anti freeze ( not 50/50 ) with corn syrup added till the shot stopped haveing dimples. The problems that I have had was that the price had gone up and it is hard to keep enough melted lead in the ladle, may have to stop every 30# or so. no problem with customer service just have to catch him when he is home. Man that guy can talk your ear off tho. cant complain about the littleton but there are alot of pluses for the stewert. good luck

shotman
01-24-2009, 11:57 PM
the Stewart is only way to go You will have someone to talk to and you will get it in a week not a year. Cast iron is much better

runfiverun
01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
i have a hell of a time getting my littleton hot enough to run good shot consistently.