PDA

View Full Version : What persons/organizations would want my bad brass?

VariableRecall
02-14-2021, 03:53 AM
I've been thinking that my small collection of broken brass, which failed due to loading mishaps, split cases, or other incidents could be more useful to some people than being put in the trash.

I'd assume there's probably someone out there that's taking busted up brass and melting down to something instead.

If someone on this forum or some sort of metals recycler is making a good use of scrap brass as a raw material, I'd be OK with having it being put to use in that way.

It will take a while for me to bust up enough brass to make shipping to someone or a company worth their while, but I'm just putting feelers out there.

What have other people on the forums do with scrap brass in a DIY context?
Lawn decorations? fun keychains?

Wayne Smith
02-14-2021, 09:06 AM
Took it to my local metal recycler - got almost $30.00 for it.

Huskerguy
02-14-2021, 09:51 AM
That's what I do. I have one of those teddy bear cookie jar and I throw 22 and anything else I come across in in and when it is full I head to the scrap yard along with picked up aluminum and steel cases and spent primers that I probably should keep.

contender1
02-14-2021, 11:22 AM
I, like so many others,, put scrap brass in a few containers. Spent primers, split brass, etc,, all go into a bucket. When I get a good bucket full, and have other recyclables, I load my truck, go to the scrap yard, sell it all, and look for lead etc,, and buy from them. I almost always leave with good lead,, AND money in my pocket.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-14-2021, 12:38 PM
I keep most of my brass scrap separated by like in many baggies in a scrap box, because you never know who might be looking for what. (which includes Berdan style range scrap)

Sales for other's uses:
I've swapped a large quantity of mixed vintage brass 8x57 duds (I disassembled them) to a bullet swager.
I sold good 1x Berdan cases to multiple different reloaders who load 'em as it, or convert them to boxer.
I've sold scrap 38 spl and 9mm cases to one fellow who used them glued onto arrows for blunt tip.
I've sold a flat rate box of misc rifle brass to a crafter/artist, they never told me what they make?
I've also sold mixed brass scrap at the gunshow, $1 for a sammich baggie and clearly labeled Scrap.

BJK
02-14-2021, 01:15 PM
Locally the range has a jr shooting team. Spent brass goes to fund them. Maybe your brass can do the same?

VariableRecall
02-14-2021, 03:05 PM
I keep most of my brass scrap separated by like in many baggies in a scrap box, because you never know who might be looking for what. (which includes Berdan style range scrap)

Sales for other's uses:
I've swapped a large quantity of mixed vintage brass 8x57 duds (I disassembled them) to a bullet swager.
I sold good 1x Berdan cases to multiple different reloaders who load 'em as it, or convert them to boxer.
I've sold scrap 38 spl and 9mm cases to one fellow who used them glued onto arrows for blunt tip.
I've sold a flat rate box of misc rifle brass to a crafter/artist, they never told me what they make?
I've also sold mixed brass scrap at the gunshow, $1 for a sammich baggie and clearly labeled Scrap.

That's some neat uses for scrap brass! Looks like I better get a bucketful to put to use someday for someone!

abunaitoo
02-14-2021, 04:12 PM
Some recyclers will give you more if you remove the primers.

VariableRecall
02-14-2021, 04:17 PM
Some recyclers will give you more if you remove the primers.

Primers are precious enough on their own. If something ever happens to a piece of brass and and my dampened bullet puller can wrench one free, I deprime immediately. I also deprime before I wash my brass as well to make sure the process is less gross, as most of the nasty gunk is left inside the spent primer.

gwpercle
02-14-2021, 04:38 PM
Local scrap metal / recycling dealer . Deprimed , brass cases only , no steel , can get you between $1.35 and $1.50 a pound ... depending on the dealer .

There is not much use for split or cracked brass , scrap is about all you can do with them
Gary

lightman
02-14-2021, 07:41 PM
I put my junk brass in a 5 gallon bucket and save it until the prices are up. I also pick up the damaged and corroded brass thats laying around when I scavenge for brass.

I don't know of any individuals or groups that would want it.