PDA

View Full Version : The Apocrypha

badguybuster
02-13-2021, 09:18 PM
If you have never read these books you are doing your self a disservice. There is so much information in them that its shocking. Yes in some religions they are considered non-canonical but most of the older sects of christianity still use them. Ive gone through them twice now and will probably have a 3rd go. Jesus himself references the Apocrypha in some of his teachings.

ioon44
02-14-2021, 09:13 AM
I read them along time ago, they are mostly history. Some religions draw some false doctrines and teaching from them.
I don't think it is a disservice to read them as long as you are firmly anchored in Jesus Christ and are led by the Holly Sprit.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2021, 01:04 PM
Some of Jesus' wording may be traced to writings in the Apocrypha. But he never suggested they were authoritative or sacred texts. Serious students of the Bible might find some familiarity with the Apocrypha helpful.

I am always surprise how much of Jesus' teaching/wording came from the Psalms. Ordinarily the Psalms are the worst place to glean doctrine.

fixit
02-14-2021, 11:03 PM
There is way more to the Apocrypha than is generally referenced, and the non historic portions are down right mystical in nature. Some were likely written centuries after the fact, and thus not even written by the proclaimed author.

1hole
02-15-2021, 09:17 PM
If you have never read these books you are doing your self a disservice. There is so much information in them that its shocking. Yes in some religions they are considered non-canonical but most of the older sects of christianity still use them. Ive gone through them twice now and will probably have a 3rd go. Jesus himself references the Apocrypha in some of his teachings.

One, I suspect the apocrypha is much more likely to quote Jesus than the reverse.

Two, after reading portions of those writings some 50 years ago I soon lost interest and returned to reading scripture.

The early church fathers were close to the time of the apocrypha; they were in a much better position to judge the value of those writings than we are so I believe there are valid reasons they are not part of the original Bible canon. And, so far as I know, there is only ONE denomination that (mistakenly, IMHO) lends any spiritual credibility to them.

jonp
02-20-2021, 05:14 PM
I highly recommend "The Other Bible" Willis Barnstone, 1984 Harper Collins. I bought a copy a number of years ago and it has the Gnostic Gospels, Christian Apocrypha, Dead Sea Scrolls, Jewish Pseudepigrapha etc.

Interesting to see how different sects approach the Gospel although The Gnostics are hard going to try and understand what is going on.

I don't think it is a disservice to read them as long as you are firmly anchored in Jesus Christ and are led by the Holly Sprit.

If you are strong in your faith there is little to fear from reading other interpretations or views.

smithnframe
02-20-2021, 05:53 PM
Never heard of them!

1hole
02-20-2021, 09:39 PM

If you are strong in your faith there is little to fear from reading other interpretations or views.

Agreed. Ignorance about what our opponent is up to and teaching is never a spiritual or intellectual strength. Satan has always used "good sounding" lies to lead people astray, that means a serious Christian Bible student needs to know his own subject pretty well so he can recognise the spiritual lies and mental traps of the dark side.

fixit
02-25-2021, 08:02 AM
I agree, but to really be able to catch the counterfeit, one needs to know the real deal. One's knowledge of the Word of God can and will protect from the mis-use of the same.