PDA

View Full Version : Avoid caldwell crono.

nueces5
02-13-2021, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone
When I started doing my own boolits, I understood that I would need to measure speeds to evaluate my results, without that it is walking blind.
So a man who matters to my country, offered me this new chronograph in his box.
From the outset, it didn't work very well, it needed a day with a lot of light to work. At the time I wrote to Caldwell's warranty, and they told me that maybe I would have to install a set of led lights on the white plates for it to work (?)
I opted to use it on bright days.
Then arming it in the range a hole in the white plates was split. I'm not the most careful person, but I hadn't done any force to this one. Anyway, I went to use it without these parts, since they had told me that it worked the same.
Now I have done some shots and it throws nonsense results.
In a batch of shots I had: 1452, 1465, 1252 and 7000 fps !! Hahaha
and the holes in the cardboard were not so disparate.
In time I will save and buy a Labradar.

Avoid Caldwell.

Rcmaveric
02-13-2021, 03:31 PM
Been using my Caldwell Chrono for 5+ years. Never had a problem. Some times on buisy ranges it will pick up other peoples shots. Other than that it worked.

There software was nifty also. Plug my chronic into my phone and it saves all the shots. Then export into excel latter. I would delete the erroneous picked up shots here. Then a bit of math magic have excel calculate my averages and extreme spreads.

Sorry you had issues.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

nhyrum
02-13-2021, 03:49 PM
A key to photo sensor chronos. They need light. And they need good light. But at the same time, not too much light. The skyscreens are important. Clouds moving can trip the sensor and give odd and erroneous shot data.

It's also important to make sure all the rounds go through the gates pretty much as consistently and possible. If one shot goes straight through, and the next is on more an upward angle, it travels a further distance going between the gates (makes a triangle, it flies the hypotenuse) taking longer, so the box says it was slower.

It's really helpful to know how the device works so you can use it most effectively

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BJK
02-13-2021, 03:59 PM
For many years I used a sky screen chrono and it was to put it mildly a PITA. On bright days it worked fine, but setup was a hassle. On cloudy days or in the shop I would use the IR sky screens (requires 110v) and that was OK, but in the shop I wasn't shooting for 100yd accuracy.

I bought a LabRadar and it's soooo much easier to use. There are things the LabRadar can't do, like a shot column and bullets faster than 4000 fps. But for most things it works fine. The LabRadar might get more functionality with a smart phone, but I don't have one and I still find the LR to be much better than the old chrono.

nueces5
02-13-2021, 04:32 PM
Been using my Caldwell Chrono for 5+ years. Never had a problem. Some times on buisy ranges it will pick up other peoples shots. Other than that it worked.

There software was nifty also. Plug my chronic into my phone and it saves all the shots. Then export into excel latter. I would delete the erroneous picked up shots here. Then a bit of math magic have excel calculate my averages and extreme spreads.

Sorry you had issues.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that the cell phone connection stopped working, it's a very good app, it's a shame it doesn't work anymore, so I have something else to complain about
I am going to take care of all those aspects that you recommend, to see if it works better.
This is how the products are, some have something good to do, others don't.
Thanks for the tips

nueces5
02-13-2021, 04:33 PM
A key to photo sensor chronos. They need light. And they need good light. But at the same time, not too much light. The skyscreens are important. Clouds moving can trip the sensor and give odd and erroneous shot data.

It's also important to make sure all the rounds go through the gates pretty much as consistently and possible. If one shot goes straight through, and the next is on more an upward angle, it travels a further distance going between the gates (makes a triangle, it flies the hypotenuse) taking longer, so the box says it was slower.

It's really helpful to know how the device works so you can use it most effectively

thanks for the tips, very clear

BigAlofPa.
02-13-2021, 04:42 PM
My chrono has been serving me well. Hope you get yours working well nueces5.

nueces5
02-13-2021, 04:46 PM
For many years I used a sky screen chrono and it was to put it mildly a PITA. On bright days it worked fine, but setup was a hassle. On cloudy days or in the shop I would use the IR sky screens (requires 110v) and that was OK, but in the shop I wasn't shooting for 100yd accuracy.

I bought a LabRadar and it's soooo much easier to use. There are things the LabRadar can't do, like a shot column and bullets faster than 4000 fps. But for most things it works fine. The LabRadar might get more functionality with a smart phone, but I don't have one and I still find the LR to be much better than the old chrono.

yes, I have used a LB from a friend, I think it is very practical, although some boolits were not detected, but there is probably some human error
I have not been able to use the magnetospeed with boolits either, I think it needs more magnetic metal to work

nhyrum
02-13-2021, 04:51 PM
The labradar isn't a bad tool. I haven't used one, but see one in my future, even though I've got no real issues with my current chrono. They're definitely a step above the box chronos, like the caldwell though, and I wouldn't keep anyone from buying one, if they're able

tomme boy
02-13-2021, 06:29 PM
I was sent 2 of the Caldwell chonos. Neither worked. Neither would sync with 3 different phones or 2 tablets. Sent them back to midway and got the competition electronics and it worked perfect out of the box.

pworley1
02-13-2021, 06:46 PM
My Caldwell has worked well for several years. It will start to give speeds al over the map when the battery begins to go. Sorry you have had trouble with yours, maybe the ones made years ago were better.

pertnear
02-13-2021, 07:01 PM
I have a friend that used the Caldwell & it worked pretty good. The only problem was that the unit had a tendency to attract a speeding bullet to its reflector rods or tripod legs. Then one day it attracted a bullet to the middle of the display. Strange behavior & Caldwell refused to warranty the gadget!

upnorthwis
02-13-2021, 08:45 PM
My Oehler 35P won't work if the temp is under 30. Then I wrap it in a towel to keep heat in it. It also needs plenty of light.

onelight
02-13-2021, 09:26 PM
My Oehler 35P won't work if the temp is under 30. Then I wrap it in a towel to keep heat in it. It also needs plenty of light.
You might be a shootaholic if you know these things :)

Dimner
02-13-2021, 10:06 PM
I previously used the Caldwell chrono for all my shooting and then moved to labradar.

That Caldwell never let me down once, and I was not easy on it. The issues with lighting the OP describes is typical of all optical chronographs. I switched to the labradar because I was sick of stopping the line every time I needed to set it up.

If I had my own backyard range I would have never switched. The lab radar interface and that crap-tacular so called app that comes with it are trash. The Caldwell app is an absolute joy to use and so easy to get the data in a meaningful format on the computer.

Using the lab radar has been a step backwards in my notetaking/record keeping for reloading. The core technology of the lab radar (doppler reading of bullet velocity) is excellent, but everything else about it is just poorly executed.

The only time I ever cursed when using my Caldwell was a day anyone would curse at an optical chronograph. Extreme direct sunlight at an angle that shines in one of the optical sensor and not another. That's when you get the 7000fps readings.

Dimner
02-13-2021, 10:07 PM

Same with the labradar. Under 30 degrees, the batteries start freezing. :(

Winger Ed.
02-13-2021, 11:38 PM
Then one day it attracted a bullet to the middle of the display. Strange behavior & Caldwell refused to warranty the gadget!

Hmmm,,,, sounds like an isolated case..... That one was obviously suicidal.