PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 O-rings

cheese1566
12-23-2008, 12:57 AM
These are the sizes I came up with when taking the press to my local Ace Hdwe:
Pressure nut: 13/16" x 1 1/16"______$.33 each
Sizers: 9/16" x 11/16" (as found on another posted thread)_______$.22 each
Seal plug: unknown (didn' mess with removing the old at this point)

Going to clean up and de-lube a used Lyman 450 I just bought second hand. I would like to get some replacement O-rings on hand. I did a search and found the sizers take a 9/16" x 11/16" x 1/16" (#35).

What size O-rings do I need for the unit? (dimensions or standard O-ring #)
Pressure nut?
Seal plug?

I know Lyman sells them, but I would like to get them by the holiday weekend. O-rings at the local hardware store would be a third of the price, not to include shipping.

skeet1
12-23-2008, 08:32 AM
That's what I did with an old RCBS. I took the piston out and went to the hardware store and found some that fit for about $.50. They work fine and I didn't have to wait to get them.

Skeet1

Randall
12-23-2008, 04:03 PM
That's what I did with an old RCBS. I took the piston out and went to the hardware store and found some that fit for about $.50. They work fine and I didn't have to wait to get them.

Skeet1

I did the same thing.
Randall

jackley
12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Same here.

Jerry

12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Is it a hassle to do a ring replacement? My 450 leaks just a little and I've learned to live with it. Not happy about it but it's not the end of the world. Always thought a rebuild or tune-up on it would be prohibitive.

Shiloh
12-23-2008, 11:08 PM
A bigger hardware supplier or home improvement center should have them. Ace Hardware is where I got mine. They had every size imaginable.

Shiloh

454PB
12-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Is it a hassle to do a ring replacement? My 450 leaks just a little and I've learned to live with it. Not happy about it but it's not the end of the world. Always thought a rebuild or tune-up on it would be prohibitive.

If you have the older brass ring seal, it is well worth converting to the newer O-ring type. If memory serves me, it was about $10 to convert. I bought the O-rings at Ace Hardware, just took the plunger in with me and found what fits. The old one is on the right, the newer style on the left:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/eddard49/450pressurenuts.jpg

Hardcast416taylor
12-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Or do as I did, call Lyman and ask to speak with a techi. He figured out what I needed to convert my old luber to modern configuration for the lube chamber. I`m thinking the whole deal was less than $30 for a new rod, piston and O-rings. :castmine: Robert

cheese1566
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Well actually, my unit uses the double o-ring pressure nut.
Yes , I can get them from Lyman and they are listed on the Lyman site...
Not to be snooty and I really do appreciate everyone's help....on this thread, other posts, and in the swapping and selling area...

I was just trying to get physical dimensions to get them locally now and in the future.

skeet1
12-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Cheese1566,
Never thought you were snooty. as for dimensions I couldn't tell you but I did just what
454PB did, I took the plunger down to Ace Hardware and just got some that fit. They work fine.

Skeet1

cheese1566
12-24-2008, 07:09 PM
That is probably what I will do and then post results that I find.
I just got a really nice used 450 (my first resizer) and can now definitely see how they leak from the bottom and top!!
I guess maybe O-ring size may not be that precise and critical since the inside of the lube chamber is rough cast and not machined smooth (top half anyway). I can see how limited pressure must be used on the wrench.

mstarling
12-27-2008, 12:22 PM
My 450 is about 40 years old (as the man said ... "Ouch!"). When I put it back into full service after a break of a few years, I managed to strip the internal screw. Turns out that Lyman has complete screw/cap/piston rebuild sets available for the 450.

Haven't had to redo the o-rings since, but Ace hardware is the way to go.

The 450 is pretty close to indestructable as long as you don't strip the threads for the die holding ring. If you're careful putting dies into the sizer they'll last pretty much forever.

imashooter2
12-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Well actually, my unit uses the double o-ring pressure nut.
Yes , I can get them from Lyman and they are listed on the Lyman site...
Not to be snooty and I really do appreciate everyone's help....on this thread, other posts, and in the swapping and selling area...

I was just trying to get physical dimensions to get them locally now and in the future.

You're going to have to do it like I did for the die rings... Take them to the store and match them up.

Then post the number for everyone else to write down.

beagle
12-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Order the rings for teh pressure nut and lag bolt the lubricator to a 2 X 6 over a piece of thick rubber and forget about the bottom. It will leak anyway. Think Lyman sells the rings for $.25./beagle

Kragman71
12-27-2008, 09:02 PM
When My old Model 45 needed new "0" rings,I called Lyman,and ordered them.
The Lady at Lyman's sent them right away;without charge.
You can't beat that.
Frank