PDA

View Full Version : How is everyone storing extra presses and equipment?

KevH
02-12-2021, 04:42 PM
I have come to realize I've now accumulated six presses and bunch of other equipment sitting on or scattered around my bench and I want to organize it. I'm looking at using a Lee Bench Plate to swap out presses/equipment.

How are you guys storing extra presses (heavy and awkward) when not in use?

shampine
02-12-2021, 04:58 PM
I store mine in plastic totes . I just lay them on their sides with some type of cushioning around them . I have 3 benches with presses , so I only have two store a couple now .

Winger Ed.
02-12-2021, 05:09 PM
I've only got two, and they're mounted on (pretty much) a dedicated bench.
When not in use, I put a custom made sleeve type cover on the progressive, and a old bath towel over the single stage.

I had a second single stage for a few years, but never seemed to use it, and I finally sold it.

The pot & sizer are on mounted on another table with towels on them when not in use.

onelight
02-12-2021, 05:41 PM
I only have 5 so not a big deal compared to some of the guys here. I have one in a cabinet in the garage the other 4 are on portable stands the APP and ABLP on the same Lee stand , the LCT on a homemade stand both of these set next to my bench , and my Lyman orange crusher sets in the closet on another homemade stand that can be easily moved if I need it. No equipment mounted permanently to the bench.

John Boy
02-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Lee Plate or each press on a piece of plywood and C Clamps. Be creative where and who you store the extras

warren5421
02-12-2021, 06:17 PM
I have 12 total and all are mounted to 4x4 timber benches.

gumbo333
02-12-2021, 06:35 PM
12???? I have 2 mounted on my bench. 2 more boxed up but 1 belongs to my son. 12, warren5421 you are into presses. Any old unusual, rare classics?

Shawlerbrook
02-12-2021, 07:06 PM
The ones I don’t use are also stored in plastic totes. A desiccant pack is also included.

ascast
02-12-2021, 07:12 PM
I sort of collect of reloading gear,, and I need a new house---bigger

Three44s
02-12-2021, 07:50 PM
My load room is tall and there is a heavy shelf over head. The over flow of presses, dies and other tooling not presently being used go up there. It takes a ladder to access them.

Three44s

BK7saum
02-12-2021, 07:54 PM
I guess I am the odd man out.

I use Inline Fab quick change mounts and quick change plates. They sell a bracket, a couple actually, where you can attach the bracket mount to the wall or cabinet, etc. just set the quick change plate with your press on the wall mount and done.

Quick change plates fit the quick change mount, tighten 2 wing nuts and the plate and press are securely attached to your bench.

KevH
02-12-2021, 08:09 PM

I use Inline Fab quick change mounts and quick change plates. They sell a bracket, a couple actually, where you can attach the bracket mount to the wall or cabinet, etc. just set the quick change plate with your press on the wall mount and done.

Quick change plates fit the quick change mount, tighten 2 wing nuts and the plate and press are securely attached to your bench.

That's actually what I'm looking at doing right now.

BK7saum
02-12-2021, 08:12 PM
The inline fab stuff isn't exactly inexpensive, but reasonable for the cost. It is built like a tank. I use the jr mounts and flush mount. The quick change are rock solid like the permanent riser mounts

warren5421
02-12-2021, 08:25 PM
I have a full basement with 6 loading tables, 3 SDB's , 550B, 3 MEC's set for 3" shells, and 3 for 2 3/4" shells. SDB's do 9mm, 10mm, and .45 ACP. The 550B is used for cowboy reloads and rifle. I forgot RCBS single stage that started it all. The MEC's all are set for 12 ga, 20 ga, and 410 ga. The wife uses the upstairs for her sewing and I got the basement. Kids long gone but some times grandkids stay a night or two but we have enough bedrooms downstairs. All except the 550 was used when I got them. I do not like doing setups on a press so with the room why not.

kywoodwrkr
02-12-2021, 09:23 PM
I store some not used at other peoples houses.
Have a RCBS RC out living with someone else now.
He had a 357 Sig that needed food.
Just got homes for two Herters #3s with a couple CAD instructors at school.
Those are recent, won't, or can't remember some of the others.
Cousin on his way to beach party at Inchon taught me at an early age how to share.

jmorris
02-12-2021, 10:04 PM
I have 6 spots on my bench that are drilled and tapped for all the presses I have. The other presses are on the bottom shelf below the mounted presses.

W.R.Buchanan
02-12-2021, 11:31 PM
My Large Presses, and Shot Shell Loaders are all mounted on Aluminum Plates and covered with Plastic Trash Bags when not in use. I can move the machines around as I see fit and clamp them to a bench or table, and they can even be stored on a shelf in another room. Even my Rock Chucker and C&H444 that is bolted full time to my loading bench are kept covered with Trash Bags.

Dirt is the main enemy of machinery and your reloading tools and machines are machinery. You need to take care of your stuff and it will take care of you. Keeping it covered and in a dry place is the key to protecting this stuff for a lifetime of use. There is no loading machine that won't last a lifetime or more if taken care of, and I've never seen a worn out Loading Press. Seen lots that were used and abused. The ones that are set up in garages and not kept covered are most likely to die a slow and painful death, because most garages are filthy.

This is also why I don't like selling my Hand Presses without the Boyt Case. The case just keeps the tool from getting beat up and also keeps them clean. A simple drop of any kind of oil is all it takes for lubrication.

Randy

375supermag
02-12-2021, 11:37 PM
Hi...
I have four presses that my son and I use.
Two RockChuckers and two Hornady LnL progressive presses.
I sold both Dillon 550s last year...just didn't need them. The Hornady LnL progressive presses do everything we need for high volume reloading.
All four of my presses are permanently mounted on benches.

Petrol & Powder
02-12-2021, 11:48 PM
I actually don't "store" many old presses anymore.
A couple are bolted to the bench. A couple of shotshell loaders (I guess those qualify as presses) are mounted on removable benchtop sections so that they can be attached to a bench when needed. (the bench has a removable "plug" that I built in).

But I sold off the old presses that I wasn't using. I keep an old RCBS JR3 as a back up to my back up, but I didn't see the need to keep multiple presses that I no longer use.
There's only so much redundancy that I can take advantage of. At some point it just becomes excessive gear that I can convert to money and someone else can use.

Now, things like dies, shell holders, complete toolheads for the Dillon, etc.; that gear is on shelves.

Here's a simple removable section you can make for a benchtop. You can make as many spare "plugs" as needed. You then mount presses, trimmers, sizers, etc., to the additional sections and slide them in place as needed.

Land Owner
02-13-2021, 06:53 AM
Pat Marlin RockDock and ShelfDock aluminum plates, flush screwed to bottom of each press, powder measure, and auto-prime tool, that slide in/out of aluminum "hold down" channels, and interchange easily - as in mere seconds.

farmerjim
02-13-2021, 06:56 AM
I use 5 gallon buckets.

gnappi
02-13-2021, 09:05 AM
I have a few "industrial" type shelving units and the loading stuff I do not use is stored there, I get separation anxiety when I think of selling stuff :-)

MrWolf
02-13-2021, 09:38 AM
I have a few "industrial" type shelving units and the loading stuff I do not use is stored there, I get separation anxiety when I think of selling stuff :-)

Glad I am not alone. Keep thinking but what am I going to use when I "really" need it [smilie=1:

dverna
02-13-2021, 10:42 AM

I did not read the rest of the thread...I went with this system this year and very pleased with it. You might save few $$ cobbling something up but I doubt anyone has a better way.

I used to have a lot of presses but have downsized a lot. Not only shooting less but retired, and more time to get things done so changeovers are not as much of an issue. I like the In-Line system because I can easily mount other stuff without using a lot of bench space. I have gone from 20 ft of bench space to 6ft.

Mk42gunner
02-13-2021, 08:01 PM
My Rockchucker is bolted solidly to my ~4' bench, about a foot from the right edge. Everything else is mounted on a 2x6 about 16-18" long.

As my bench is made from recycled 2x6's, I just screw the mounting boards to the top of it with enough screws to keep whatever it is solid. A screwdriver bit in an electric drill helps here. Before long deck screws were common I frequently used a big C clamp.

For storage, the unused tool stays on the shelf under the bench, adding weight and stability.

Everything else is defined as lighter duty presses, a Dillon primer pocket swager, lubrisizer (currently a LAM) and the detested case trimmer.

Robert

Kenstone
02-14-2021, 11:35 PM
My loading bench is a shelf in an-under-the-stairs closet.
With room for only one press on that shelf, all presses are mounted on a common plate, and stored On a narrow shelf.
The common plate is a 6x6x1/4 kitty-corner with a hole in 3 corners but the same deal could use the Lee bench plate system.
I get these 6x6x1/4" thick plates from my local steel yard with the corner holes already in them.
I cut one corner off and mount a press kitty-cornered to get the centerline hole as far back on the bench to eliminate any rocking/flexing front to back.
Common plate on RCBS Jr.:
Loadmaster on loading "shelf/bench":
Some of the other presses waiting for their turn:
:D

Rebel Dave
02-15-2021, 07:43 PM
I hang the presses I'm not using in the basement rafters on big solid J hooks. When I want to use one I just reach up, and take it down.

Dave

Blindshooter
02-15-2021, 09:14 PM
I actually don't "store" many old presses anymore.
A couple are bolted to the bench. A couple of shotshell loaders (I guess those qualify as presses) are mounted on removable benchtop sections so that they can be attached to a bench when needed. (the bench has a removable "plug" that I built in).

But I sold off the old presses that I wasn't using. I keep an old RCBS JR3 as a back up to my back up, but I didn't see the need to keep multiple presses that I no longer use.
There's only so much redundancy that I can take advantage of. At some point it just becomes excessive gear that I can convert to money and someone else can use.

Now, things like dies, shell holders, complete toolheads for the Dillon, etc.; that gear is on shelves.

Here's a simple removable section you can make for a benchtop. You can make as many spare "plugs" as needed. You then mount presses, trimmers, sizers, etc., to the additional sections and slide them in place as needed.

We think alike, just built another bench with 2 of the socket/plug locations. Already had 3 scattered across 3 other benches. The benches are different heights to accommodate different machines or to make whatever I'm working easier on my back. Its nice being able to move machines/tools around as the situation changes. I can also keep my helper (nephew) far enough away so we're not rubbing elbows. Tools not in use are stored in a rack, some in a corner and some underneath one of the benches.
https://i.postimg.cc/pVB1TQBR/20201121-105311.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hhf0Zdw5)

MrWolf
02-16-2021, 07:10 AM
We think alike, just built another bench with 2 of the socket/plug locations. Already had 3 scattered across 3 other benches. The benches are different heights to accommodate different machines or to make whatever I'm working easier on my back. Its nice being able to move machines/tools around as the situation changes. I can also keep my helper (nephew) far enough away so we're not rubbing elbows. Tools not in use are stored in a rack, some in a corner and some underneath one of the benches.
https://i.postimg.cc/pVB1TQBR/20201121-105311.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hhf0Zdw5)

Looks like what I did to my harbor freight bench. I put two 3/4" sheet of finished plywood with a polyurethane finish. Thinking about using inlines plate and route it in for my other presses and tools. Will keep my 550 bolted in.
Ron

JimB..
02-16-2021, 10:27 AM
Another for inline fab, have 7 or 8 pieces of equipment hanging on the wall, 2 on the bench and a 650 that hasn’t yet found a place.

Soundguy
02-16-2021, 11:44 AM
I store mine..... on the bench. I made my bench longer to accomodate 4 press. but then I bought another. still trying to figure that one out!

Dan Cash
02-16-2021, 12:22 PM
Well, you guys take the cake with your presses. I have 8, 5 of which are mounted and 3 are on their sides in a cubby hole. I have a deal for someone here; I have 100 functional typewriters which I will trade for 50 presses. Any takers? You can write books while thinking about reloading. The typewriters don't require any primers.:)

Pressman
02-16-2021, 10:45 PM
100 typewriters? We gotta see pictures of this. I am certainly curious about them.

tankgunner59
02-16-2021, 11:10 PM
I have a wire type wall unit on the wall behind my bench for storage and I used a piece of 2" by 6" lumber to mount each of my presses on, and I keep them on one shelf of the wall unit. I use my turret press for my reloading now and I took a piece of 1" by 10" lumber, drilled 4 holes for each turret for the dies to sit in. I used a spade bit, I think it was 7/8". The shelves hold all of the equipment I use regularly. Although I don't have as much equipment as most of you do, but I have what I need.

lawdog941
02-16-2021, 11:28 PM
I use 5 gallon buckets.

+1, I use Home Depot's 5 gal buckets with lids to seal up with desiccant

thorswhisper
02-19-2021, 03:21 PM
I like the 5 gallon bucket with lid arrangement, but you normally dont have enough room to keep the powder hoppers attached. The inlinefab quick change plates are the way to go. But BEWARE inlinefabs plate system is a "gateway drug" and you will continuously buy more and more of them.... Very similar to Garanditis.

oley55
02-19-2021, 08:34 PM
I sorta went with the Inline.fab design. I liked their mount and quick change feature, but saw some limitations (expensive parts). I didn't like the idea of the cutouts in my work/reloading bench to accommodate different presses and reloading tools. So I bought a bunch of 3/8" aluminum plate, drilled new holes in the Inline mount to make it symmetrical front to back, drilled the aluminum plates to match the new Inline holes and then installed T-nuts in the work bench to allow mounting up to 9 presses/components for or in 9 locations. I also semi-copied their quick release plate mounting.

For press storage I use the top shelf of a steel shelving unit and put street bolts with large fender washers to jamb the aluminum plates into/under. They are adjusted down a bit so that I have to lift the front up to toggle the back side into and under the bolts. Being under tension there is very little chance of a press working free.

tdoor4570
02-20-2021, 10:05 AM
The rock chucker stays mounted in the people room but my decapping press, I just spin the wing nuts off drop out the bolts and lay the press on the shelf next to my work bench. quick to install and just a quick to take off.

curiousgeorge
02-20-2021, 11:01 AM
My name is Steve, and I am a pressaholic. No, wait, wrong forum!

I have 12 ft of bench top that only has 3 presses and 1 powder measure permanently attached. The other 12 presses are bolted to blocks of 2 layers of 3/4 plywood. Each block is sized to where they can be attached to a corner or the front of the bench with 2 C-clamps. Extra powder measures are all in stands mounted to one piece of 3/4 plywood and can be attached with a single clamp.

When not being used presses are stored on a shelf I made covered with old 'holey' t-shirts to keep dust off. At present time 7 presses and 5 powder measures are on the 2 benches. And before someone asks, no powder stays in the measures, and when I set one up to use, I write the powder and charge on a piece of paper and drop in the tube where it can be read through the plastic. When done, measure is emptied. If I'm going to use that charge again I leave the paper in the measure.

Pressman
02-20-2021, 12:56 PM
I built a three section shelf, each section is 8 ft long and 8 ft high. 5 shelves per section, that's 24 feet long. I managed to get over 100 presses on that shelf. That's presses that overhang the bench when mounted.

Ken

onelight
02-20-2021, 03:57 PM
I built a three section shelf, each section is 8 ft long and 8 ft high. 5 shelves per section, that's 24 feet long. I managed to get over 100 presses on that shelf. That's presses that overhang the bench when mounted.

Ken
I will buy a ticket if you ever start giving tours :)

Pressman
02-20-2021, 05:55 PM
The coffee is always on.

smithnframe
02-20-2021, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you need to build a bigger bench!

Eddie Southgate
02-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Piled up in the shop floor .

jem102
02-28-2021, 08:32 AM
" Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post

Quick change plates fit the quick change mount, tighten 2 wing nuts and the plate and press are securely attached to your bench."

"That's actually what I'm looking at doing right now."

In the process of doing the same right now. The Inline Fab stuff is well thought out and very well made...

bluebird66
02-28-2021, 09:14 AM
I also use plastic totes to store most all of my supplies.

rrob692326
03-04-2021, 04:01 AM
gasketed 40mm ammo can with a large piece of vci bag, and a few vci paper sheets

GregLaROCHE
03-04-2021, 07:06 AM
The Lee system looks interesting, especially if you don’t have a lot of space. On the other hand, the advantage I find in owning additional presses, is having them set up for different operations and not having to change the setup in the press I am currently using.

JSnover
03-04-2021, 09:51 AM
For two years I stored a press in a rusty steel shed. Wiped it down with ATF, soaked an old beach towel in more of the same and draped it over the press. Some of the exposed steel frame darkened a bit but it scrubbed clean. There was no rust and the ram was perfect.

GWS
03-05-2021, 01:44 PM
I've mounted my 2 progressives and 2 single stations on my 8' bench....but where I've needed to modify that is with the extras, namely my bench primer and Lee APP. Just flat out of room.

So I bought the Lee plates....and mounted them to that......There's just too much play for me, being used to rock solid. So I bought the more expensive Inline Fab flush mount system to see if any better. I like that much better.....solid as can be. I like my Lee APP a lot, but I like it better solid with no play.....Inline Fab is worth the money IMO.