PDA

View Full Version : New project, question on flintlock

Wayne Smith
02-12-2021, 12:49 PM
I have a .40 flinter rifle that has been posted here in the past. I picked up a .40 pistol barrel and my gunsmith is fitting the breach plug. I ordered a small Siler lock and pistol stock from Track and got them the other day. Looking at the lock raises a question - there are no threaded screw holes for attaching the lock - I will have to do this. There does not appear to be a lot of room on that lock for the screws, things are packed quite tightly.

Does anyone have a template showing where those screws are supposed to go?

I still need to order the trigger assembly so if I need to order screws I will then. Gonna have to get sights, too.

FLINTNFIRE
02-12-2021, 01:54 PM
Inlet the lock and barrel and you will see where it comes through from side plate and you will be drilling all those holes and tapping the threads in lock plate , The books on building show and tell you the information on how to set it up. Some use a single screw others use 2 , its all in how you want it to look and are you attaching tenons on barrel yourself ? Cutting dovetails ? or are you having the gunsmith do that ?

It is a learning experience and I think worth doing ones self even the breaching of the plug and you will be drilling down through tang to attach bolt to trigger plate and again drilling and tapping holes there also .

Wayne Smith
02-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Don't have a side plate yet, are they made specific to the lock? The barrel already had a tenon attached. Yup, and I'll have to bend the tang to the curve of the stock as well. Yes, I have a drill press and vice. Have to see if I have any books on building one.

cub45
02-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Buy yourself a couple of books and read them then reread again you will learn what you are asking. The gunsmith of Greenville county and Recreating the American longrifle, you only get one shot a drilling the lock easy to do IF YOU READ THE BOOKS AND UNDERSTAND what needs to be done and when to do it, there is an order in which each step needs to be done.

elk hunter
02-13-2021, 10:11 AM
Buy yourself a couple of books and read them then reread again you will learn what you are asking. The gunsmith of Greenville county and Recreating the American longrifle, you only get one shot a drilling the lock easy to do IF YOU READ THE BOOKS AND UNDERSTAND what needs to be done and when to do it, there is an order in which each step needs to be done.

X-2 The information is there and easy to understand. Not difficult, it just needs to be right.

freakonaleash
02-13-2021, 10:33 AM
Here is a little ditty I put together on building muzzleloaders. Everything you need to know is there.
https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf

charlie b
02-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Nicely done article.

nightwolf1974
02-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Please post pics during and after...love seeing progress on projects. :mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
02-19-2021, 11:16 AM
It will be a while, waiting on the barrel (gunsmith working on it today!) and a battery pack for my camera - ordered yesterday.

Iowaflint
02-26-2021, 10:04 PM
just a quick thought, when I use a drill press, or a drill/mill, I use a center punch point that is in line with the drill head, that way I know exactly where the drill is going to come out. Another way is drill 1/2 way through, and reverse direction, drill from the other side, but, I prefer the center punch.