PDA

View Full Version : Ring height for Springfield 1903

tejano
12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Gentlemen, not long ago I purchased a 1903 that has been reblued and the stock refinished. I got a good deal on it so I am not complaining about its diminished value as a collector's piece. I have been thinking about having it drilled and tapped so that I can mount a scope on it such as a weaver K4 or a vintage Redfield 6x (TV style?) that I have on hand. I wanted a steel scope base and rings to go with it. The Redfield steel one-piece base looks like it would work nicely. My question is whether I can get by with low rings and not have a problem with bolt clearance. Your comments/suggestions (including alternatives base/rings combos) are requested. :coffee:

madsenshooter
12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
I have some two-piece Lyman Tru-Lock bases for the 03, 1inch or 26mm rings too. The bases are aluminum, but a very tough aluminum, nice QD system that has a good return to zero, no windage adjustment though. PM me if you think you might be interested.

Larry Gibson
12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
The bolt handle will have to be forged if you plan on low rings (the best choice). You might get away with high rings but that would be a try and find out deal. It would also put the scope way to high. Since the rifle is now just a shooter why not make her a good one and get the bolt forged too.

Larry Gibson

missionary5155
12-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Good afternoon There should be a "Forged" or a cut /reweld bolt handle floating about for sale. Try the Want to buy section..

tejano
12-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks Gents.

Frank46
12-29-2008, 12:31 AM
If you can locate a A4 sniper bolt somewere you should have the makings of a bolt that is not only correct for your springfield, but can be easily modified with a dremel tool and one of the kits grinding wheels. I bought one about twenty years ago and put it away for a project. And promptly forgot about it. Few years later dug it out while looking for something else. Had a $85 dollar A3 with ***** barrel. Had the smith install a new A3 bbl, redfield banded front ramp and D&T for a steel lyman rear sight.The smith did an excellent job with all the items including reblueing. I had polished all the metal with a home made polisher made with a 1/3 hp mootor at 1750 rpm. Back to the sniper bolt. Had planned when money became available to have a m70 type bolt handle to be installed and D&T for a scope. Took the old A3 bolt out and installed the A4 bolt. Fit perfect and best of all headspaced perfect in the A3. All I did was grind a flat on the bolt handle. Easier said than done. The A4 handle is somewhat bent for scope use. What you are doing is making the bend on the handle longer and deeper. Little by little I made the curvature longer and deeper. I have heard stories about too much metal being taken off and the bolt handle broke. Never seen one do this, but this was mentioned by the smith. So if you can find one of these bolts you just might have an answer to your problem. Hope this long winded story hasn't bored anyone or caused them to fall asleep at their computer. Frank

waksupi
12-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Go to the Brownell's banner on the top of the page. Click on the Tech tab on thier page, and they have a section on selecting the proper sight heights. I haven't looked through all of it, but would think they would have some ring info there.

Just a reminder, if you guys order from Brownell's, click into the site from the banner on this page, and we get a bit of money for any ordered item, sent to support this board.