PDA

View Full Version : Silver colored low brass 12 gage cases

USMC87
02-11-2021, 09:50 AM
I have access to a load of 12 gage hulls that are used at a shooting match, The low brass is silver color. Can those be used for hunting loads?

Budzilla 19
02-11-2021, 10:40 AM
Personally,i believe brass height has no effect on what you put in the hulls, after the initial firing of the factory loads. Consult your reloading manuals to be certain. My opinions are based on my 40+ year history of shotshell reloading. Please follow your reloading manual in all cases, though. Good luck!!!!

USMC87
02-11-2021, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the help.

Minerat
02-11-2021, 11:32 AM
In the past. High or low brass did not indicate case capacity. As long as the internal base heights were the same you could load any book load for that shell brand. We usually loaded old AA one piece base shells with duck loads no matter the brass height. I have found the silver base shells do not have the same durability as the higher cost brass base. Usually only 2 reloads before they start splitting.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-11-2021, 11:40 AM
Do they stick to a magnet?

DG

la5676
02-11-2021, 11:57 AM
As far as I know, there are only a few brass based shotshells left in the industry anymore. The Winchester AA, not any of the cheaper Universal target loads, only the AA, and the two colors of premium Remington target shells, the Nitro (gold)and the STS (green), the others, Gun Clubs and Clay and Field target loads are all brass washed steel.

Federal used to have a brass based target hull, the Gold Medal, but I think they cheapened up on that this past year and went steel. Their paper hull, if you can find them may still be brass.

They don't last as long as the brass based hulls, they rust for one thing. The good thing is you don't need to use them more than once, because there are so many of them laying around for free at any trap range.

megasupermagnum
02-11-2021, 01:22 PM
As far as I know, there are only a few brass based shotshells left in the industry anymore. The Winchester AA, not any of the cheaper Universal target loads, only the AA, and the two colors of premium Remington target shells, the Nitro (gold)and the STS (green), the others, Gun Clubs and Clay and Field target loads are all brass washed steel.

Federal used to have a brass based target hull, the Gold Medal, but I think they cheapened up on that this past year and went steel. Their paper hull, if you can find them may still be brass.

They don't last as long as the brass based hulls, they rust for one thing. The good thing is you don't need to use them more than once, because there are so many of them laying around for free at any trap range.

You would have to double check on the AA's. I believe they are steel now. As far as I know, the 12 gauge and 20 gauge Remington STS's are the only hull that still has a brass head.

USMC87
02-11-2021, 06:56 PM
I don't know if a magnet will stick to them, I appreciate the help guys.

bdicki
02-11-2021, 07:04 PM
You need to know who made the hulls, Winchester, Federal, or whom ever. It's more important to know when selecting wads and loads. Lot of info here.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=d1bd402cbf7d1a3cfcdf10aa649d08c3

la5676
02-11-2021, 08:00 PM
You would have to double check on the AA's. I believe they are steel now. As far as I know, the 12 gauge and 20 gauge Remington STS's are the only hull that still has a brass head.

AAs are still brass

dverna
02-11-2021, 10:50 PM
The Lyman Shotshell reloading manual is a great resource for loads. There is also a section that allows you to determine the type of hull you have.

Recipes are VERY hull specific. This is especially important with higher pressure hunting loads.

too many things
02-11-2021, 11:03 PM
i dont know of any BRASS now the last was fed gold metal that had a {1/2} head.

farmbif
02-11-2021, 11:15 PM
the most important thing is to properly identify whatever they are then find reloading data for them.
I would not get hung up on what they are made of most all shot shells are reloadable if you can find a good source of reload data for them and can put your hands on the wads, powder and primers called for in the data. I only reload 12 and 20 gauge but keep probably more than 20 types of wads and can usually find data to reload whatever shell I come across in target loads as well as game loads.
the mec super sizer type resizing die will resize any type or construction of shotshell

wildflilghts
02-12-2021, 10:29 AM
I have access to a load of 12 gage hulls that are used at a shooting match, The low brass is silver color. Can those be used for hunting loads?

That is a pretty marginal description when looking for hull identification. Descriptions should include manufacturer and head stamp markings or preferably a photo. That said, it sounds like you are looking at the cheapest of Winchester hulls called Universals. Winchester Universals are made with flimsy plastic and weak heads. IMO they are the worst of hulls for the reloader and marginal as new stock. There are some reloaders that use them but Winchester recommends against it.

Universals are pictured in this link. https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=527826&sid=fe257549b5217f4ca6bac9034952415d