PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with 'Clays in a powder measure?

hc18flyer
02-10-2021, 11:10 PM
Tonight I was loading some .38 Specials using Hodgdon Clays. I was using my Lee Disc powder measure, trying to 'drop' 2.8- 3.0 grains. I was running 10 charges to get my average load. I noticed I was getting very different charge weights. I cleaned everything up and brushed the disc with motor mica. I do have a baffle in my storage tube. The only way I could get uniformity was a solid rap with a small screwdriver. I will try it without the baffle next. Any other ideas?

Gtrubicon
02-10-2021, 11:30 PM
I don’t know how different your lee measure is from a lee deluxe perfect powder measure, but I just recently loaded clays in 38 and was pleased with the charges, I was not getting more than a 10th variation. The measure does not like to be operated fast, when I lifted the measure lever up, I flicked the body then lowered, at the same cadence. I was weighing every 5 th throw, then every 10. They were all in spec.

kevin c
02-11-2021, 02:47 AM
I got much more consistent drops of Clays (+\- 0.1 grains for charges between 3 and 4 grains) from my factory Dillon measure by strapping a small aquarium pump to the side. The vibration seems to help prevent powder bridging.

onelight
02-11-2021, 08:34 AM
flake powders and small charges don't measure very well without some vibration to settle the powder in the measure . What works for me in best order is the pro auto disk on the Lee turret on auto index so it has the movement of cycling all the way around between charges . My Lyman 55 using the knocker . And last my RCBS with a firm knock at the top and bottom of the operating lever stroke .
I have not tried to vibrate like kevin c mentioned but that sounds like it would work well . The only thing wrong with tapping the measure is it would be a little slow and need to be done consistently .
Hopefully someone else may have some more ideas.

Three44s
02-11-2021, 10:05 AM
I tapped my RCBS Uniflow measure with the handle at the top and bottom with Clays and had good luck in my 44’s.

I was not building for speed, just practice with lighter loads so a small variation was not going to blow things up.

Three44s

Mal Paso
02-11-2021, 12:01 PM
I too had good luck with Clays in a Uniflow. Important since my charge is 3.2 grains. I am using the Small Drum and single tap top and bottom of the stroke.

BigAlofPa.
02-11-2021, 12:05 PM
It throws fine on my Lee auto drum.

Livin_cincy
02-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Adding a powder baffle to a Lee Drum powder dispenser is adding a second baffle. Lee has a baffle built into their storage hopper design. The second baffle is interfering with the proper operation of the built in (lower) baffle.

gnoahhh
02-17-2021, 11:28 PM
My old Belding&Mull throws 2.8 gr. Clays deadnuts, every throw, every time.

jetinteriorguy
02-18-2021, 12:24 PM
Adding a powder baffle to a Lee Drum powder dispenser is adding a second baffle. Lee has a baffle built into their storage hopper design. The second baffle is interfering with the proper operation of the built in (lower) baffle.
This, none of the Lee powder measures need baffles. I have a PPM, Pro Disc, Improved PPM, and Auto Drum and have used all of them both with and without an extra baffle and every single one works better just as designed. Most of my pistol fodder is loaded with Clays and 700-X and I load rifle with both ball and stick powder and no need for a baffle. For whatever reason it’s not necessary to continually keep container filled, I’ve run the container down real low and tested the throw weights with no noticeable difference.

dverna
02-18-2021, 12:46 PM
I loaded a lot of Clays on a Dillon 1050. Mostly for CAS shooting and 2.7 gr...never a problem.

Do not think the powder is the problem.

monadnock#5
02-20-2021, 03:09 AM
If static electricity is an issue in your house, buy some antistatic spray at the store and dust it onto the powder measure exterior. Doesn't take much.