PDA

View Full Version : C&R License and Selling AP Ammo

Hanzy4200
02-10-2021, 11:00 PM
I may have listed some AP ammo on Gunbroker. Considering the current times, I figured it would be a good time to let some go. It's pretty uncommon, FN M61 7.62X51/.308. Upon doing some reading, I am seeing conflicting information. Some claim it is absolutely not legal to sell any sort of privately own AP ammo if you are a C&R holder, as I am. Others say you may, but must record the sale in your files. Do any of you have any information on this subject? I definitely do not want to do anything illicit.

cwtebay
02-10-2021, 11:05 PM
I may have listed some AP ammo on Gunbroker. Considering the current times, I figured it would be a good time to let some go. It's pretty uncommon, FN M61 7.62X51/.308. Upon doing some reading, I am seeing conflicting information. Some claim it is absolutely not legal to sell any sort of privately own AP ammo if you are a C&R holder, as I am. Others say you may, but must record the sale in your files. Do any of you have any information on this subject? I definitely do not want to do anything illicit.Call your local BATF for this. By far the best source of information.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JimB..
02-11-2021, 02:00 AM
Pretty sure that the M61 bullet was banned by name in the 94 assault weapons ban. I have no idea what that means today, but I doubt it has anything to do with your C&R License.

Kraschenbirn
02-11-2021, 11:51 AM
I looked into this a few years back when I came across some German WWII AP in an ammo box of assorted 8x57 from an estate auction. Was considering reselling either online or at a gunshow but thought I should check on the legal aspect. According to the BATF agent I spoke with back then, ALL ammo designated as 'armor-piercing' by the original military source is prohibited...period! Unfortunately, the stuff I had was lost in a canoeing mishap before I had the opportunity to turn it in.

Bill

Hanzy4200
02-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Well, I know that is at least partially untrue. The 30-06 M2 AP is widely bought and sold freely.

Geezer in NH
02-11-2021, 01:07 PM
7.62X51/.308 is considered a handgun caliber. FN M61 is considered amour piecing. For an FFL holder it may be sold to law enforcement or US military. Each round sold to anyone else is a felony, each round a separate felony.

That was when I had my company FFL 07. non ffl holders may sell it to another unless the law has changed. An 03 is an FFL.

I would pull the auction myself.

30/06 is not considered a handgun caliber.

trebleplink
02-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Isn't 5.56 green tip (steel insert) effectively armor piercing?

M-Tecs
02-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Isn't 5.56 green tip (steel insert) effectively armor piercing?

https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/ammunition/military-ammunition-and-why-green-tip-m855-is-not-armor-piercing/

JimB..
02-11-2021, 07:07 PM
7.62X51/.308 is considered a handgun caliber. FN M61 is considered amour piecing. For an FFL holder it may be sold to law enforcement or US military. Each round sold to anyone else is a felony, each round a separate felony.

That was when I had my company FFL 07. non ffl holders may sell it to another unless the law has changed. An 03 is an FFL.

I would pull the auction myself.

30/06 is not considered a handgun caliber.
This right here aligns with everything I remember, just was unaware that there was a special restriction for an FFL.

Hanzy4200
02-12-2021, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. I will pull it asap. Never expected my C&R to be a interference like this.

Hanzy4200
02-12-2021, 02:09 PM
I assume I would still be in compliance if I break it down and sell the components? Or, just hold onto it until such a day I let my C&R expire.