PDA

View Full Version : Added a single six to the collection.

BigAlofPa.
02-09-2021, 03:57 PM
Picked up some powder while i was there.

tazman
02-09-2021, 07:29 PM
I love the idea and design of single action handguns. I just can't shoot them worth bean.
With Ruger single actions in centerfire, I have issue with recoil beating up my hands. I have owned a couple of single sixes but the accuracy was less than optimal. I assume it was due to being a"switch cylinder" type revolver and the barrel being speced for the 22 magnum.

CoolHandMoss
02-09-2021, 08:03 PM
I have always wanted one. I think I might settle for a wrangler though. Very jealous of your powder find.

smithnframe
02-09-2021, 08:08 PM
Where did you get it Al.......Geisers?

Drm50
02-09-2021, 08:33 PM
My first quality handgun was a Ruger Single-6. Compared to my buddies H&Rs, IJs and cheap imports it was a target gun. I still have it. I got a k22 and hardly ever carried the S-6 again. It does take a learning curve when not use to the long hammer travel. If you have leaned on a single action you can handle anything. With exception of Flintlocks.

BigAlofPa.
02-09-2021, 09:18 PM
I got it at Mount carmel guns and ammo. I usually get my powder and primers at Geisers. The Herco was 2 bucks more than Giesers. But the new shop is 1/2 the distance. I bought quite a bit of powder from the new shop. 2 lbs of Blue dot. A pound of clays. A pound of 2400 and 4 lbs of Bullseye and now the Herco.

Taz on the center fire Rugers. I cant use the stock grips on the either. So i get the big rubber grips. Saves on knuckle banging against the trigger guard. I put them on my Taurus 357 tracker and my SW 25-5 45 Colt.

I did learn on singles. Even my D/A guns i shoot in S/A.

I was looking at Wranglers too. But the gut feeling said hold off. I'll get a deal on a single six. It was 350.00 before taxes and nics. I used to buy a lot from Gators gun wise. But he got greedy with the plandemic. He has a used single six for 550.00 in the carboard box. And he's ammo price gouging. New shop i picked up some 38 super for 23.00 a box.

Mk42gunner
02-09-2021, 09:47 PM
I like the small Colts in .22 better than the Single Six, they seem just a skosh smaller, but there is nothing wrong with the Rugers.

My most accurate revolver is a variation of the single six, an SSM in .32 H&R.

The very first powder I ever used for reloading was Herco, brought home in a paper sack.

Robert

pworley1
02-09-2021, 09:50 PM
Congratulations.

Bazoo
02-09-2021, 09:54 PM
Awesome. I'm a big single six fan. My moms single six, which is our only one currently, is quite accurate. Been known to hit coke cans at 50 yards offhand.

BigAlofPa.
02-09-2021, 10:12 PM
Im looking forward to see what ammo mine likes best. My Heritage ones like Winchester copper plated.

GhostHawk
02-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Love mine, its in .32H&R mag but I have only shot .32sw longs in it thus far. I do have some .32H&R brass now, might be I should cast up some boolits and load a few in the longer brass.

But I've been happy with mine. The only real problem is it likes to be refereed to as "Her Royal Majesty"
Although i do get away with calling it "Princess" once in a while. Call me crazy but it works.

BigAlofPa.
02-09-2021, 10:53 PM
I have a snubby that shoots sw 32 longs. Just a H@R from the 70's. I like that little gun though. It's in great shape. Fun to shoot and an attention grabber lol.

tazman
02-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Love mine, its in .32H&R mag but I have only shot .32sw longs in it thus far. I do have some .32H&R brass now, might be I should cast up some boolits and load a few in the longer brass.

But I've been happy with mine. The only real problem is it likes to be refereed to as "Her Royal Majesty"
Although i do get away with calling it "Princess" once in a while. Call me crazy but it works.

Hey! If carrying a potato in your pocket makes you a better shot, then carry a potato in your pocket. I see nothing wrong with naming your guns. Davy Crockett named his rifle.

Texas by God
02-09-2021, 11:59 PM
It's a fixed sight convertible? Or is that a cable lock in the bubble wrap? Nevertheless, that was a great deal that you got. I love Single Sixes and I sorely miss the SSM .32s I owned and let slip away- especially the 4-5/8" one- perfect trail companion.
I passed my 5-1/2" Single Six (.22LR only) to my son recently- and he loves it!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

dtknowles
02-10-2021, 12:25 AM
My single six was my first handgun purchase, I paid for it but my Dad had to buy it as I was only 16. The grip frame was not fit properly to the frame. I took the grip frame off and filed the places that stuck out and sanded off all the anodize and gave the grip frame and ejector housing a brushed aluminum finish. I think it looks good that way with the two tone finish. It never seemed to be as accurate as it should be, 3 and 4 inch groups at 25 yards. My next handgun purchase was a Ruger MK I target. It shot much more accurately. I don't know why I have kept the single six. I sold the MK I. I bought a High Standard to replace it, sold the High Standard and replaced it with a MK II hunter and now have a second MK II Target.

Tim

Bazoo
02-10-2021, 01:02 AM
I need to do some serious accuracy testing with my moms six, I can't remember what it likes. It likes Aguila pretty good, as well as CCI blazers. Mom named her Precilla.

BigAlofPa.
02-10-2021, 12:17 PM
It's a fixed sight convertible. There is also a small brass lock. With the Ruger logo.

robg
02-15-2021, 06:48 AM
miss mine still not as accurate as a k22 but it was such a cute little thing.very loud with 22mag .

MrWolf
02-15-2021, 07:04 AM
Just picked her up and getting supplies together to shoot her. Uberti 32-20 to go with my Marlin 32-20. She sure is perty. 277699

pietro
02-15-2021, 07:39 AM
I have owned a couple of single sixes but the accuracy was less than optimal.

I assume it was due to being a"switch cylinder" type revolver and the barrel being speced for the 22 magnum.

FWIW, all Ruger Single-Six's have had the same barrel specs for both .22LR & .22WRM cartridges since at least 1973 - much before that they all had LR barrel specs, since when the gun was designed in 1953 , there was no .22 Mag ( the .22WRM wasn't introduced until 1959)

GasGuzzler
02-15-2021, 07:46 AM
Congrats to you.

Everyone should have one. Here's mine.

beemer
02-19-2021, 05:16 PM
I bought one recently, it's an old 3 screw with a 5.5 in. barrel, it was made in 1971 best I can tell. It has had the transfer bar conversion and didn't have the Mag cylinder. The action is a little stiff but everything works great. Other than a couple dings it looks to have been carried very little. I haven't shot much due to the crappy weather but it does seen to do very well. I didn't get a great price but considering the prices lately I did alright. The Single Six is probably the toughest 22 revolver made, if cared for it will be passed on. Hope you enjoy yours.

BFJ
02-19-2021, 06:50 PM
BigALofPA, nice single six. Enjoy.

Digger
02-19-2021, 06:57 PM
Soft spot in my heart for mine ....
Went to work on a ranch south of Lund , Nevada in the seventies playing cowboy.
Forman sold me his , went with me where ever all day long.
Remember it on my hip when riding in the mountains chasing the cows down to low country for winter .
Did a lot of hip shooting for practice and got to be pretty good at 30,40 yds hitting a five gallon bucket.
Was better doing it that way then using the sights .
The single six started off my enjoyment of guns for years now.

BigAlofPa.
02-19-2021, 07:49 PM
40's temp wise coming up finally. I'll get a chance to shoot it. I have 2 22 rifles i put scopes on to zero too. One advantage to the cold and snow. I got a lot of loading done.