PDA

View Full Version : Spiller and Burr replica.............

Ray1946
02-09-2021, 11:00 AM
About 25 or 30 years ago I purchased a set of these super pretty revolvers. I decided this is the year to shoot them. Have not had experience with the newer powders; Triple Seven and the like. Years ago, had a Remington replica I shot with 30 grs. Pistol grade Pyrodex(measured) and a Lyman 450229 hollow-based semi wadcutter. Talk about something that would scorch the hair off your fingers!!! As these pistols are brass framed, was wondering how far I can go with out stretching the frame. I can only assume that these "solid" frame guns would be much stronger than the brass framed "Colt" replicas. Am planning on using the Lee conical bullet...................

AntiqueSledMan
02-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Hello Ray1946,

I'd probably keep it down to 15 gr or so in Black Powder with a round ball.
You'll have to figure out what a charge of Triple Seven would equal.
Problem with Brass Revolvers is the cylinder will hammer the hell out of the frame,
leaving indentations in the recoil shield.
I believe the Spiller & Burr's are save to shoot, just don't "Hot Rod" them.
Now a Whitney on the other hand (which they were copied from),
I believe one could fill the chambers with a full load.
I do have two Spiller's, but have never shot them.
When I do shoot them, I will be shooting my Hollow Base Conical with a light charge.
My conical is swaged from a .375 round ball so weight is only 79 grains.

AntiqueSledMan.

bedbugbilly
02-09-2021, 09:34 PM
I'm guessing these are probably Piettas?

I agree with the above about holding it down to 15 grains or so of 3F (Goex) or equivalent. My normal load in a steel '51 Navy or a steel Remington Navy is 18 grains. Out of a S & B, 15 grains should do everything you want it to - plinking to bunnies.

It is very likely that these will shoot high - meaning the you might need to put taller front sight on them. The front sights are probably a round brass post - fairly easy to remove and replace with a longer piece of brass brfaaing rod or similar and then file down as you sight it in with the load you develop. if you do replace the front sight - if the piece ofd rod you use is tad bit lrg3r in OD - easy enough to polish down using a drill press or a hand held drill until you get a good press fit - then you can just apply a small amount of flux to the hole and rod, heat and touch soldier to it so that it sucks the solder in around the new sight.

S & Bs are nice revolvers and you'll enjoy them a lot. Even with a top strap over the cylinder, over loading it - while maybe not actually stretching the frame like an open top, it will still cause excessive hammering of the back of the cylinder on the recoil shield which over time, will cause issues.

maillemaker
02-10-2021, 05:19 AM
Frames don't typically stretch. Now I have seen a picture of a deformed frame before, but generally what happens is when you fire the gun with heavy charges, the cylinder, which is free to move back and forth on the arbor, rockets backwards until it is stopped by the frame face. With repeated firing of heavy charges, the steel cylinder can knock dents in the brass frame. These dents allow the cylinder to then ride backwards farther on the arbor, opening up the gap between the cylinder face and the barrel. People see this gap and assume the frame has stretched. It usually has not - it's just that the frame is now dented and so the cylinder can rest in those dents.

http://4thla.weebly.com/do-brass-frames-stretch.html

Steve

Ray1946
02-10-2021, 06:29 AM
Thanks so much the input; I am enlightened!.................................

rodwha
02-10-2021, 11:53 AM
My understanding is that the brass frames can handle full loads with a ball because it’s a short cylinder only taking about 20 grns vs 30 in a full size Navy pistol. However you are wanting to use conicals.

You could check your recoil shield after each range time. I’d venture to guess that by using max lowds with a conical you’d likely be at or crossed beyond the point that it might begin to imprint, but I’ve not ready of anyone using conicals through them. And not all conicals are created equal.

rodwha
02-10-2021, 12:16 PM
Mr Beliveau always makes great videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVyPTdHcCDI

rodwha
02-10-2021, 12:29 PM
This video would likely be helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOnZ2wQ-B8

nightwolf1974
02-14-2021, 11:30 AM
Yah, 15 grains 3F, you don't need to make a magnum out of it. I never shoot my C&Bs to full potential, even my Walkers.