PDA

View Full Version : Gurkha Kukri

AndyC
02-08-2021, 08:18 PM
A package arrived from Katmandhu a number of months ago.

I ordered this a while back to support the families of Gurkha soldiers as I'd worked with some of them overseas - and besides which, I'd always wanted one of these brutal knives for myself.

https://i.imgur.com/ayYv3MP.jpg

This is the Nepalese Army version from www.thekhukurihouse.com - owned by ex-Gurkhas. It was inexpensive and I'm delighted with the quality - it was shipped via DHL.

In our civilian world, it makes a great survival tool - combo knife/hatchet, with a small utility-knife (karda) and a sharpening steel/flint-striker (chakmak) in the sheath.

Gurkha in Iraq using his to make wood-joints:
https://i.imgur.com/uYrS8J6.jpg

richhodg66
02-08-2021, 08:27 PM
Nice. When I was in Iraq in 2004, I had the misfortune of having to be on the Green Zone the last couple of weeks I was in country and the scurity there were all Ghurkas. None wore helmets or body armor and every man carried only an old M16 A1 and a Kukri. Even with the lack of equipment, that place was probably safer with those guys than just about anybody else would have made it.

MUSTANG
02-08-2021, 08:27 PM
Had a friend pick one up while in India from a Ghurka he knew. Craftmanship on the one you have in the picture is exceptionally greater; but I guess we are also looking at a vastly more affluent India than existed ion the 1970's. Enjoy your unique product of World history.

richhodg66
02-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Last time I was in Iraq, I was on a FOB pretty much the whole time and they hired a lot of third country nationals to do the mundane operations. At the MWR building where I made phone calls and checked email, the day shift was two very nice Fillipina middle aged ladies, but the night shift was a guy from Nepal. His english wasn't so good, so I never talked to him in detail about it, but he carried himself like a retired NCO and despite being all of 5'4 and slight of build and likely 45+ years old, I still figured that guy could have handled himself just fine in a bad situation, he just had "tough" written all over him.

That is a hard part of the world and I suspect one is either tough or dead.

375RUGER
02-08-2021, 09:56 PM
I loved my Gurkha, sadly the handle rotted off and eventually I lost the blade, not sure what happened to it. I found it more useful than my machete for clearing trails.

MrWolf
02-09-2021, 08:30 AM
Very interesting and thanks for posting. I will have to look at the link you provided. Thanks
Ron

tazman
02-09-2021, 12:47 PM
Over the years, I have heard or read many interesting stories about the Gurkha and their use of the kukri. They are very highly trained troops and can do things with that knife that are almost unbelievable.
Tough isn't a definitive enough word to describe them. Either the men or the knife.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-09-2021, 01:09 PM
Fascinating website. Well worth the visit and the time to read all of the history. Very nice selection of knives--I couldn't believe the Bowie knife. We may do some business.

DG

scattershot
02-09-2021, 01:49 PM
Great website. I can’t find the Nepalese Army version on there. Is there a model number or something?

W.R.Buchanan
02-13-2021, 04:48 PM
I consider the Kukri to be a must have knife for any Knife Aficionado . They are among the most useful overall designs in existence.

I was all set to buy one from your guy in Nepal for myself for my Birthday one year but then my Bro in Law gave me this Kershaw one which is pretty good. It doesn't have quite as much hook to the blade but will still do anything a real one will do, including taking someone's arm off. The Blade is 10" long and like all Kershaw knives it came out of the box sharp enough to shave with.

I was given this present in an Expensive Restaurant, and my comment when I pulled it out of the sheath was,,,

ala "Mick Dundee:" "Now that's a knife!" The waitress was real nice to us after that.

Randy

badguybuster
02-13-2021, 05:00 PM
I have an old WW2 kukri that my grandfather was given by a Gurkha.

panhed65
02-13-2021, 07:33 PM
that is nice, for sure a couple of steps up from the one I bought as a surplus issue one back in the 1970's.
Barry

pressonregardless
02-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Great website. I can’t find the Nepalese Army version on there. Is there a model number or something?

Think it's this one :

https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/nepal-army-ceremonial-parade-knife

Ural Driver
02-14-2021, 09:40 PM
Back in the 80's my in-law's spent a year stationed in Nepal. They brought me back one of these, obtained from a soldier that they were acquainted with during their tour. It is nothing fancy, just a nicely made working knife. And, since it came to me as a gift from a Gurkha, I consider it a great treasure. :-)

panhed65
02-16-2021, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=pressonregardless;5118337]Think it's this one :

[url]https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/nepal
I looked at it one the site you posted, guess I know why mine from years ago is so plain looking compared to that one. it works well anyhow and I am still happy with it.
Barry

Petrol & Powder
02-16-2021, 07:47 PM
“If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or he is a Gurkha.” - Indian Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.

Tatume
02-17-2021, 09:34 AM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

TNsailorman
02-17-2021, 10:54 AM
I had 2 of the very well used Gurkha WW II knives and my son now has them. They very very plain and without adornment but well made. james

Alstep
02-20-2021, 04:07 PM
Many years ago I briefly worked with a WW2 vet from the India-China-Burma campaign. He mentioned that the Gurkha soldiers all carried those knives, and would hunt the Japs at night. The British paymaster would pay a bounty for all the ears they brought in. He said that he attended a ritual feast where a Gurkha slaughtered a buffalo with one swipe. He was assigned to a railroad battalion building & maintaining the rail supply line. He had some fastening stories.

AndyC
02-27-2021, 12:36 PM

https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/nepal-army-national-issue

At $53 ex shipping, it's a steal (and for shipping they send via DHL).

Mmacro
02-27-2021, 01:36 PM
278605 278609 278610

I had the privilege twice of working with Ghurkha soldiers - with the British Gurkhas while deployed in Afghanistan and with the Indian Gurkhas during training in the “Hill Stations” of India. I am humbled at the gifts they gave me for working along side them.

Both are warriors universally feared by their opponents.

The British Ghurkhas would roll in unarmored NTVs, wearing no body armor and carrying only small arms, grenades and kukris. The Taliban were never present during their patrols, while the rest of the combined forces would come under regular attack on the same routes.

In India, I was bunking up with two Ghurkhas during field training (we were in a mix GP medium tents and abandoned concrete buildings). Suddenly the a couple of Gurkhas came running through the camp yelling for everyone to stay inside, that there was tiger in the camp. Of course, as a Army journalist I could not resist... I went outside and found the evidence that there was indeed a tiger inside the wire (scat and claw marks on equipment cases, and Gurkhas on-line, kukris drawn (no firearms as all we had were blanks) and walking through the camp, yelling and banging their blades against mess kits to drive the tiger out.

Between Afghanistan and India... I would serve alongside a Gurkha without asking any questions. They are the true definition of warriors.

AndyC
03-03-2021, 10:41 PM
Drawing a kukri properly:

https://i.imgur.com/SEHDl9s.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
03-10-2021, 04:33 PM
278605 278609 278610

I had the privilege twice of working with Ghurkha soldiers - with the British Gurkhas while deployed in Afghanistan and with the Indian Gurkhas during training in the “Hill Stations” of India. I am humbled at the gifts they gave me for working along side them.

Both are warriors universally feared by their opponents.

The British Ghurkhas would roll in unarmored NTVs, wearing no body armor and carrying only small arms, grenades and kukris. The Taliban were never present during their patrols, while the rest of the combined forces would come under regular attack on the same routes.

In India, I was bunking up with two Ghurkhas during field training (we were in a mix GP medium tents and abandoned concrete buildings). Suddenly the a couple of Gurkhas came running through the camp yelling for everyone to stay inside, that there was tiger in the camp. Of course, as a Army journalist I could not resist... I went outside and found the evidence that there was indeed a tiger inside the wire (scat and claw marks on equipment cases, and Gurkhas on-line, kukris drawn (no firearms as all we had were blanks) and walking through the camp, yelling and banging their blades against mess kits to drive the tiger out.

Between Afghanistan and India... I would serve alongside a Gurkha without asking any questions. They are the true definition of warriors.

The reason why they are fearless is because they are not afraid to die.

They are not afraid to die because they know they will come back again and again.

The 14th Dalai Lama can trace his previous lives back thru 13 previous lifetimes. That's how he got declared the 14th Dalai Lama !

So can everyone else if they put their minds to it. Lots more going on in this world than meets the eye.

Randy