PDA

View Full Version : Loading for multiple handguns chambered for the same cartridge

tazman
02-08-2021, 05:58 PM
This is going to be a question of personal preference. There is no really right or wrong answer to this. It will all depend on where your preferences lie and how much patience you have.

Assuming you have multiple guns in each pistol caliber you own, do you prefer to load for the maximum accuracy in each handgun you have or do you want to have ammunition that works reasonably well in all the guns you have in each chambering?

I tend to load ammo that will work in every handgun I have chambered in a particular cartridge. I like to be able to just grab some ammo and not worry about which gun it fits. I have a couple of guns that are special enough that I load ammo that they like particularly well but even this ammo will work n the other guns I own with the same chambering.

I have an older model 60 S&W chambered for 38 Special that wasn't made to normal specs. Everything is undersize, from the throats, all the way out the barrel.
The throats measure .356. The groove diameter of the barrel is just a shade under .355.
I can run some really small diameter boolits in this revolver without leading.
I just run normal sized boolits in it because I never know which gun I am going to be shooting and that revolver is the only one I have with that situation. It shoots well enough with .358 boolits that I can't tell the difference on the target. Perhaps a better shot could tell, but I am not a better shot.
I also have a pre model 14, K frame Target Masterpiece that has every spec perfect. All the throats are .358 and the groove diameter is .357. Wonderful old gun. It likes everything that is .357 and larger.
I still size everything to .358 and go from there because they work in my revolvers.
Since I have so many different 38 Special revolvers, I NEVER push the envelope on pressure in them. I have 357 magnum revolvers for that.

I have 8 different 9mm handguns in everything from a revolver to a pair of 1911s to a Taurus PT92 and a couple of plastic fantastics.
The groove diameters run from .357 to .354 depending on which gun you are talking about. The tightest chamber will accept a .357 sized boolit(barely).
The boolit designs I use allow me to use the .357 in all the chambers without jamming into the rifling. Either truncated cone or stepped round nose boolits.
The accuracy varies a lot as you might expect, but the ammo functions in all of them.
The Taurus guns have Beretta M9 barrels in them. Those are the large groove diameter barrels and the chambers will feed boolits up to .360 without issue. I use .357 in those also but I expect I am bumping those up when they are fired. They are surprisingly accurate with this setup.
The Springfield Range Officer has a tight chamber and bore. I need to make sure everything is right. No sloppy reloads here.
It will still shoot the ammunition for the other pistols but I get an occasional jam when things aren't quite right.
Then there is the S&W 929 revolver. There are no throats to worry about since the chamber doesn't headspace on the case mouth. It tapers from the front of the cartridge right out the cylinder. It will accept nearly anything you can stuff into a 9mm case and doesn't care what the OAL is since there is no rifling to run into inside the cylinder.

My mistake came when I purchased the Taurus pistols first and loaded a bunch of ammo for their generous chambers in those Beretta barrels. I got sloppy because they just didn't care. Now I have a bunch of ammo I can only shoot in those pistols. I have to keep that stuff separate from all the rest and only use it in those guns or the 929.
All the ammo I load now will work in any of the 9mm guns I have.

My 45ACP pistols all have the same groove diameters but have different chamber dimensions. A couple have match chambers.
Everything I load is made for the match chambers and it will run in any of the others. Fortunately, none of my pistols care about nose shape and will feed everything I have run through them. I used to have a couple of 45ACP pistols that would not feed certain boolit shapes due to a design flaw. They went down the road.

I only have one 40S&W pistol so I don't have to worry about different dimensions there. I don't really shoot it much anyway.

Experience has been an interesting teacher.

JWFilips
02-08-2021, 06:24 PM
All comes down to all guns are Different! I have 3 ...S&W 357 mags and all need a bit of & some TLC ...if you want them to shoot the same

Bazoo
02-08-2021, 06:27 PM
I do both. I load ammo that fits everything, but I also work specific loads out for the gun if I like the gun. If I don't like the gun I trade it normally.

Petrol & Powder
02-08-2021, 06:30 PM
For revolvers chambered in 38 Special my answer is, "I generally load cartridges for the entire lot of guns, with a caveat". My S&W revolvers are all pretty similar in terms of dimensions of throats and bore diameters. Most of my Ruger DA revolvers are close enough. I have had some GP-100 revolvers that were not (one in particular). However, Colt revolvers are a game all unto themselves.

45 ACP platforms will generally get by with a standard load, assuming it will feed and chamber. With a 200 gr SWC this is almost never a problem.

NOW, the REAL PROBLEM children are the 9mm pistols. I have not been able to find a single cast bullet load that will work in all of my 9mm pistols. I can get jacketed bullets to work in most guns, the problem appears with cast bullet loads.
9mm barrel dimensions are all over the map. Loads that will feed and function in all of my pistols are inaccurate in some. Loads that are accurate in some guns will not feed and function in others. So, when it comes to 9mm pistols, I'm forced to load to the individual pistol.

So may official answer is,....." IT DEPENDS... :mrgreen:"

edit: my older Ruger DA revolvers seem to be a little more consistent and closer to S&W specs. Not sure if that is a function of better quality control or just a fluke in my pack.

I was sizing my 38 Special bullets to .358" but found .357" was a better fit to almost all of my S&W throats and most of my Ruger cylinders. That seems to result in less leading and better accuracy.

Larry Gibson
02-08-2021, 07:00 PM
Pretty much agree with Petrol & Powder.

I have "generic" loads for all my handgun cartridges that shoot just fine in all of the handguns I have for the particular cartridge. That includes target level loads, mid range loads and +P or magnum level loads. Some that come to mind are;
3 gr Bullseye under 85 - 90 gr cast in 32 S&WL and 3.2 gr in the 32 H&R,
3.5 gr Bullseye under a 150 to 160 gr SWC in 38 SPL,
4 gr of Bullseye, 6 gr Unique under a 158 SWC or 14 gr 2400 under a GC'd 358156 in the 357 magnum,
2.5 gr Bullseye under a 105 gr SWC in the 380 ACP,
4 gr Bullseye under a 115- 124 gr cast in the 9mm [I've not found any 9mm handgun that won't shoot 4 gr Bullseye under the Lee 120 gr TC quite well],
6 gr Bullseye or 8.5 gr Unique under the Lee 210 gr TL SWC in the 41 magnum,
5 gr Bullseye under a 240 SWC in the 44 SPL
6 gr Bullseye, 8.5 gr Unique or 22 gr 2400 under a 250 gr Keith SWC,
5 gr Bullseye under a 195 - 230 gr cast bullet or 7.5 gr under a 200 gr cast bullet in the 45 ACP [for use in ACP or AR cases in semi auto or revolvers],
7.5 gr Bullseye under a 200 gr cast SWC or RNFP or 8.5 gr Unique under a 250 SWC or RNFP in the 45 Colt.

My top end higher performance loads used for hunting are most often for the individual handgun.

RJM52
02-08-2021, 07:03 PM
Guess I have a combination of both....

I have loads that will run in just about all the guns of a specific caliber but have specialty rounds that won't either because they exceed the maximum LOA for a certain gun or are maximized for a certain gun and while not "dangerous" to shoot in one of the other guns will wear both the gun and user out a lot faster than a standard load.

Bob

MT Gianni
02-08-2021, 07:50 PM
I have 2 40 S&W that take different diameter bullets. I went to a lee 140 gr so I can easily distinguish them.

onelight
02-08-2021, 07:50 PM
My auto pistol loads , and most of my revolver loads fit and work in them all at least the ones I have now I also have settled on a stepped RN for 9mm because of they will chamber in all of mine for these fit all loads . I use a 200 grain rnfp with a crimp groove that works in all my autos and 45 colt I buy the bullets for this style load now Hi-Tek coated and the loads for them are all light to medium levels . My cast I use for loads that are tailored to a specific gun but may work in more than one mainly revolver loads and most in the 800 to 1050 FPS range. But do have some GC molds/loads for magnum revolvers.

shooting on a shoestring
02-08-2021, 08:32 PM
When I was a kid and had only 1 Model 19, life was easy (and FUN).
As the years rolled past and stray revolvers began hanging around my house problems arose with those pesky dimensions.

My answer was to size all my 38/357 boolits to 0.359”.

I bought a chucking reamer for 0.359” and a flexihone.
Any 38/357 revolver of mine with throats that were smaller than 0.358” got corrected.

Once again life got easy.

Mk42gunner
02-08-2021, 10:40 PM
Until recently it wasn't a problem for me since I tended to only have one handgun in each caliber. Then I found a second Ruger SSM. And then the delightful little I frames in .32 S&W Long.

An increase in disposable income has seen an increase in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolvers that reside here.

As a result, I tend to make loads that work in all guns, i.e. a standard load for the caliber.

Rifles on the other hand, tend to get specific loads for specific guns. This was brought about by the approximately ¼" difference in seating depth between a No 2A Ishapore Enfield and a 7.62 NATO Parker-Hale Mouser barrel.

Robert

Pete44mag
02-08-2021, 10:59 PM
Like to tinker. Every one of my guns has its own specific load that shoots the most accurate. I also clean my brass nice and shiny. It's that OCD thing I can't help.

bimus
02-08-2021, 11:20 PM
The load I used in all 45 ACP pistols worked great till I wanted to use them in a UZI 45 they where a little weak for the blow back action and I started working on a load that worked well in both and had to change to BE 86 powder .

FergusonTO35
02-08-2021, 11:57 PM
My ammo will work in any gun I own with the same chambering, however I do have favorites for each one. Sadly, my new Ruger PC Carbine does not like the Lee 356-120-TC at all. It loves the 358-125-RF though, which is fine because my Marlin 1894 .357 likes 'em too.

EMC45
02-09-2021, 04:02 PM
All my S&W .38 Special revolvers will shoot the 158gr. Lee RNFP over 3gr. Bullseye better than I can.

dverna
02-09-2021, 04:50 PM
When loading for pistols, I would rather compromise a bit on accuracy than tailor a round to optimize accuracy in a specific gun. 100% reliability is far more important for my needs than a smaller group at 50 yards. But I do not hunt with them and run factory ammunition for SD. I have seven .38/.357's and all use the same load. I may add a .38 +P+ load this year.

Only one load for the 9mm's, and.40's. I am getting out of shooting much .45, but it only had one load.

I am with Taz....prefer being able to pick up a box of ammunition and not worrying about which gun uses it. And I am lazy. Once I am set up for a decent load, I just want to crank it out.

RonIa
02-09-2021, 05:11 PM
I keep notes and set up rounds ( empty no primer ) for each gun that way I always have a reference for seating and notes for the powder charge I load for (45 acp 1911 / model 25) 44 magnum -38 short colt 38 sp. 357 -9mm with cast and jacketed bullets
Ron

charlie b
02-09-2021, 07:05 PM
.45acp I loaded mid-range and one that would cycle in very pistol, including my father-in-laws two pistols. They were most accurate in his Nat Match model but my custom 1911 would come close. I had a Ruger BH in .45LC with a .45acp cylinder. It shot the loads ok, but, not great.

The .357's were all for best accuracy in the Colt DA. The SP101 didn't care much. Father-in-laws SAA didn't do as well with those hot loads and his Marlin didn't do that well either. He made some special loads for the Marlin and put them in nickel cases so we could tell them apart. That was a deal that irritated him. He bought the SAA and Marlin so he could have one load for those and the Colt DA. He eventually sold off the Marlin (he still had his 94Win in .30-30). He kept the SAA and I kept the DA.

So, yes, I load so at least one of the guns will have decent accuracy and ALL will function reliably.

Winger Ed.
02-09-2021, 07:33 PM
My situation is more simple than yours:

I've only got a couple in each caliber.
I load all my .38DEWC to do the best in a S&W model 52, but also fit the revolver.
Then a Keith style SWC for the revolver, and the rifle.

When I got the .357 rifle, and pumped up the GC SWCs for it, I sold off the .357 handguns to avoid any ammo 'confusion'.

In .45ACP, I load a accurate cast for one, but they also work in the other.
For the other, I load the most accurate hard ball, and they work in the other if I change the spring.

tazman
02-09-2021, 07:40 PM
All my S&W .38 Special revolvers will shoot the 158gr. Lee RNFP over 3gr. Bullseye better than I can.

If you get a chance, try that 3 grain powder charge under a 125 grain rnfp. It shoots great in my handguns albeit a little low. Recoil about like a 22lr.
Probably about 700fps.

Drm50
02-09-2021, 08:39 PM
Some of mine the same. K38s all same, I have found the 45s like different loads. Most all my revolver loads are target WCs but have a 61/2” and 83/8” tuned for two different cast bullets and powder loads.

rintinglen
02-10-2021, 12:38 AM
I like to tinker and consequently I have made loads for many of my different guns that are unique.

My 38 Specials get 358-311 over 4.0 grains of WW-231 or 3.5 gains of Bullseye, or 358-432's with the same powder charges, or else 3.2 grains of WW-231 under a H&G 50. However, my S&W 342 get 125 grain boolits over a piddly charge of Bullseye, (2.8 grains I think, but I am not certain0 it hurts when you crank off a full on 38. Those chaps with their .357 lite weights have my respect. Likewise, my S&W 52 gets 358-063 wadcutters seated flush and I don't use those in my other guns, though I suppose I could. I have 5 different 9 mm molds all of which get some use and each has a different powder charge. I have 9 32 molds, ranging from a 71 grain HP up to a 125-ish SWC for my 32 ACP's, 32 S&W Long's, 32-20's and 327's. Don't even get me started on rifle loads.
But to answer the original question, I shoot for best accuracy and complete reliability in each gun.

MT Gianni
02-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Another exception I just thought of is that I have Target ammo. in 38 special. I know it will group well in anything but it's generally reserved for a model 14 S&W.

robertbank
02-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Interesting question.

I have a few 9MM guns. These guns are or have been used by me for competition. Fine accuracy is not an issue in the action shooting sports but reliability is. For my 125 gr bullets (FMJ & Lead TC/RN) I load them to 1.1" and size my lead bullets .357. These bullet combinations work is all my 9MM semi-autos - German, Italian, USA, & Czech. I don't have any 9MM revolvers. There is not much daylight between any of them in performance. My home gun uses factory nuclear cartridges made by Winchester.

I dedicate .40 cal new brass fir my 40 cal reloads destined for my new 10 mm Ruger. This is a project that has not yet been completed. I have a Tanfoglio 40 cal and an M&P Pro in 40 cal that shoot anything I throw at them and the cartridges for these guns are loaded to a specific power factor for IDPA. The load for the two semis may or may not be the same for my Ruger 40 cal cartridges.

I have a Ruger GP-100, 686 and a Model 10 that get any cartridges reloaded in 38spl & .357mag as appropriate. OAL is determined by the bullet I have used. I size all my lead bullets designed for these guns .358.

Note: I have a 1888 Colt New Navy 41LC that was recently converted to 38LC after the 41LC barrel developed a split in the forcing cone. My gunsmith installed a new .357 barrel and an ild 38LC cylinder He attached a new front sight and re-blued the gun. By definition this gun remains an Antique under our Criminal Code of Canada and is not considered a firearm. I use 38spl cases loaded lightly in the gun and keep the ammuniotion for this gun separate from my other 38spl cases. The gun will only use nickel brass that has been tested to allow the cylinder to rotate. The 38spl cases vary significantly in the design of their bases. The brass coloured brass seem to have thicker rims and binds the cylinder. Before anyone has heart failure with a little care this new revolver works. It gives me a gun that I could carry legally pretty much anywhere I want to. Remember I live in Canada. I know I am not about to freely carry the gun open or concealed in around Terrace. What is legal and what could bring the local ERT out for target practice suggest a great deal of common sense by me is in order.

Take Care

Bob
[s If any 38spl cartridges were to get mixed into batchers designed for the old Colt would go directly to my Ruger GP-100 for use. I am a bit anal about that.

Old School Big Bore
02-10-2021, 04:00 PM
@ Rintinglen - Reading up through this thread, I was thinking, "wait til you throw a couple PCCs into the mix". I have .38/357s in J, K, L & N frame sizes but, oddly for me, no levergun yet, looking for a 92 or a pump. I feed the target HBWCs and service-level SWCs RFs & RNs to all of em except the 686 I use for our matches, that one gets the MP HBWC in a magnum case with the boolit seated out to pilot in the throat. Yes I had to increase the HP38 a couple tenths. 44 Spl/Mag are 2 bulldogs, a 624, a 4" M29, two SBHs, a B92, Deerstalker, Handi-Rifle, and a 788. I have 44 molds from 120 gr WC to the MP HBWC to Keiths/Thompsons to the 305 gr WFN and most of them get utilized in some fashion. EDC for the SPLs is 200 gr GDHP. The Handi-Rifle is my test bed for all things .44 and the B92 is my go-to walkin-around rifle since I cut back the carrier step to make it feed Keiths. I had to do some finagling to get it to feed the Lee 210 but now it's happy. Duty/EDC for the 29, which was my duty revo for decades, is unapologetically the Speer discontinued 225 gr JSWCHP over 10.0/Unique. I put them up in once-fired Speer cases and if anyone asked, they are "factory". The 92 loves that load and was my patrol carbine when I carried the 29. While my past agency included a Big Bore division, the 29 got the MP HBWC over 4.5 of W231 with the boolit seated out and lightly crimped in the front grease groove. I still have a couple speedloaders full of those WCs reversed over 7.0/Unique. They will stop, the size of a quarter, in the third water jug after shattering the first two, and I have a reduced version in SPL brass for the Bulldogs and 624. The 29 won me lots of bets with two Lee 120 gr WCs over 3.5/Bullseye: "I can put 12 holes in that target faster with this revolver than you can with that auto"...don't judge me! I wish Lee would bring that little collar button back in a six-cav. I used to shoot the SBHs in IHMSA until our club switched to Hunter silhouette; that was a Keith over 11.0 of Unique and it took down the 200 meter rams just fine. Now both my SBH are 4 5/8" and I usually put a Skeeterish Keith load in them if I'm woodswalkin with them and the 92. The 624 reminds me it's a SPL every time I try to pass a warmish load off on it. Rather than trade it off as I have the 45 Colt mountain gun, I feed it the same mild stuff as the Bulldogs, usually a lighter weight WC/SWC/RN/RF with about 4 gr of a faster powder up to around 6 of Unique. The Deerstalker has been on a diet of J-words because I've had to unsolder a gas system before and I don't figure on doing that again never ever never. I'm looking forward to PCing fixing that. The 788 has yet to deliver decent groups with ANYTHING and the reproduction magazines are such a PITA that it's in danger of becoming a disappointing safe queen. And I wanted it so badly and chased it so diligently...(sigh). 45 ACP is a match 1911, XD45, and 625JM and besides the match load, I keep some ball equivalent around because the XD45 won't run on anything reduced and doesn't like SWCs. I have plans for several of the Lee RFs and TC for that one. The 625 gets MP HBWCs and various RF/SWCs in AutoRim brass. They all get 230 GDHP for EDC. 45 Colt is two 4 5/8" BHs and an R92. Got rid of the Mountain gun because of having to load powder puff ammo for that kicking beast. I'm still playing with load development but it I have some good candidates for revo/rifle same-data loads. The .30 Carbine is another beast altogether because I like to plink with mild loads, especially the MP HBWCs, in the blackhawks, but need some oomph to run the carbine action. Full loads in the blackhawks will deafen people three counties away. Still gonna cut 'em to 4 5/8" and have .32-20 cylinders made. Also still looking for an AutoMag III and a Raging Thirty. If I were able to re-caliber revolvers, one or two of my 28s would be an 8-shot .30 with moon clips and spare .32-20 cylinders. The .32-20 is also a separate-ammo lash-up because the rifle is a nice late strong B53 but the pistol is an elderly 1905/4 and I really don't want to stretch anything on it. I'm tending toward nickeled brass in the Browning and plain in the little revo, but I may end up color-coding with PC. In the meantime I'm launching a letter to S&W to see whether they date the K-32-20 post 1920-ish. My 9mm situation is all over the map - we own three different 9X19 pistols and an AR9, and friends/family have a mixed bag of different match, blasting & carry 9s including a Skorpion whose chamber is practically a funnel and will eat anything in reach. Mostly the 356402 and its Lee clone will work in all of them, but I recently had to bump 500 rounds of the Lee TCs about .010 deeper and re-taper crimp them to run in a match-chambered 1911 belonging to my shooting partner. Still on the waiting list for the 356-125-2R and the 358-125-RF.
Long story short, I do have some "omni" loads but most of my firearms, which unfortunately were all recently lost in a tragic boating accident, have some favorites which I try to keep somewhat in stock.
Ed <><

robertbank
02-10-2021, 04:15 PM
Old school big Bore - ou reminded me I do reload for fpur different PCC's The four all shoot my generic 4.1 gr 231, OAL 1.1" TC lead and RN FMJ 125 gr loads reliably. The load is accurate in the four of them I just load them to shoot paper in IDPA PCC division, I am in the process of working up a load for my Ruger PCC that will perform out to 100 yards. Not sure why. I guess it falls to, "because I can". The four PCC's I own are remarkably accurate.

Take Care

Bob

gifbohane
02-10-2021, 04:19 PM
My CZ (9mm) has a tight chamber. I load shorter COL as a result and it works fine in my other 9mm.

ABJ
02-10-2021, 05:00 PM
I do both. I load ammo that fits everything, but I also work specific loads out for the gun if I like the gun. If I don't like the gun I trade it normally.

Same for me. I do have a couple of loads for 38 special that shoot very very well in dozens of different guns. DEWC crimped in the crimp groove on top of 3.5 Unique or 3.4 HP-38. Second load is the Lee 105 swc on top of 4.1 HP-38. These are what I call my universal 38 loads.
I have a couple of single actions that will shoot minute of snake head if I switch to the Lee 148 bnwc in 20:1, same powder charges.

I agree with Larry on 44 special,(5.0 Bullseye under a 240) its a soft load and no load I have tested will out shoot it. Shoots well in my flattop and 2 different S&W.

The 45 acp, are of different mfg's so OAL has to be gun specific in my case, mostly because I shoot H&G 68 style SWC's. The one constant is they will all shoot 4.1 of Bullseye and all accurate. The bullet weight doesn't seem to matter, 175/185 or 200.

The 9mm, oh what fun multiple guns are with cast. All I can say is I have found a universal boolit (125-TC) only. No universal OAL's or powders or charge weights. I am getting close with Power Pistol.

I love reading threads about the so-called universal or go to loads. Past threads on the subject is why I tried the 44 special bullseye load. Some of the old go to loads like the 38 wadcutter with 2.8/2.9 Bullseye have not worked for me, but it didn't take long to find the ones that did.

Hunting guns like 45 colt and 44 mag I just load the hunting load and practice with it also.

Tony

44MAG#1
02-10-2021, 05:27 PM
How many of the ones that go through the gymnastics of loading all these different loads for all these different guns do so because it is "NEEDED" or do it because they "LOVE TO TINKER AND EXPERIMENT"?

Plastikosmd
02-10-2021, 07:09 PM
Semi= Loaded about the same

Revolver= vary based on gun (Ie Taffin 357 load for FA only)
FA 45acp loads = revolver only, Fred Schmidt 38 wc only etc

No_1
02-10-2021, 07:25 PM
I guess it would depend. The only calibers I have more than 2 guns chambered in would be 38 special, 357 Mag, 45 Acp, 45 Colt, and .41 magnum. For those calibers I have been able to find loads that both feed and provide acceptable accuracy in all guns I shoot. I think if I had one that needed different ammo than the others in the same chambering it would go down the road unless there was something uniquely spectacular to it.

tazman
02-10-2021, 08:22 PM
How many of the ones that go through the gymnastics of loading all these different loads for all these different guns do so because it is "NEEDED" or do it because they "LOVE TO TINKER AND EXPERIMENT"?

Love to tinker and experiment-----That's me. I am constantly looking for a load for any particular gun that works better than the classic loads. I haven't found one yet. I did find a few that work just as well due to necessity a few years ago during the last powder shortage.
I also came up with some fun stuff for practice and grins.
I have no idea how many molds and powders I have tried over the years just to "try it out". Lots of fun and experience making stuff work.
The ammo that I depend on turns out to be the classic loads(if there are any for a certain cartridge) that just run in anything. Seems they work in nearly any gun. Not just mine. Of course, I test them in my weapons to confirm, but they always work.

44MAG#1
02-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Tinkering and experimenting. Gives someone something to do, Right?

ABJ
02-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Tinkering and experimenting. Gives someone something to do, Right?

Yes, and the more you do, the more you learn about powder choice and boolit weight etc..

Tony

44MAG#1
02-11-2021, 09:43 AM
What does one learn? I have done the same thing over the years but other than having something to talk about at the Gun Shop or the range with other shooters really what has one actually accomplished? Except to make the checking account lighter and figuring out that there are no magical combos that makes a poor shot a fair shot, a fair shot an average shot, an average shot a good shot, a good shot an excellent shot, and an excellent shot a phenomenal shot?
I've never seen that happen.
Harking back to Mr. Keith, when his 4 inch M29 was lifted and until it was returned, him not knowing if he would get it back, wonder if he worked up a load for the one he carried in its absence to extract the last bit of accuracy for it or if he just crammed some Keith loads he already had in it because he knew the would do whatever he needed to do with the gun?

Yes, and the more you do, the more you learn about powder choice and boolit weight etc..

Tony

tazman
02-11-2021, 11:22 AM
What does one learn? I have done the same thing over the years but other than having something to talk about at the Gun Shop or the range with other shooters really what has one actually accomplished? Except to make the checking account lighter and figuring out that there are no magical combos that makes a poor shot a fair shot, a fair shot an average shot, an average shot a good shot, a good shot an excellent shot, and an excellent shot a phenomenal shot?
Harking back to Mr. Keith, when his 4 inch M29 was lifted and until it was returned, him not knowing if he would get it back, wonder if he worked up a load for the one he carried in its absence to extract the last bit of accuracy for it or if he just crammed some Keith loads he already had in it because he knew the would do whatever he needed to do with the gun?

I haven't found a magic load that makes me a better shot. I have found several loads that, if I continued to use them, would make me a much worse shot. Things not to do as it were.
One was a particular boolit/powder combination in a 9mm pistol that shot patterns at 10 yards with many of the holes showing boolits going through sideways.
I often find loads that simply do not work for whatever reason. I stick with the ones that DO work.

44MAG#1
02-11-2021, 11:37 AM
Now with that being said, let's say you have four 44 Magnums, if you work up a good load in one and try it in the other 3 could there be one that would shoot so badly that it would harm your shooting ability when shooting in field positions, not off the bench rest. Standing, kneeling, sitting, etc.?

I haven't found a magic load that makes me a better shot. I have found several loads that, if I continued to use them, would make me a much worse shot. Things not to do as it were.
One was a particular boolit/powder combination in a 9mm pistol that shot patterns at 10 yards with many of the holes showing boolits going through sideways.
I often find loads that simply do not work for whatever reason. I stick with the ones that DO work.

tazman
02-11-2021, 11:48 AM
Now with that being said, let's say you have four 44 Magnums, if you work up a good load in one and try it in the other 3 could there be one that would shoot so badly that it would harm your shooting ability when shooting in field positions, not off the bench rest. Standing, kneeling, sitting, etc.?

For me, that gun and load would be a full magnum load in nearly any single action revolver. Those hurt my hands to the point I would flinch after a single cylinder of use, thereby effecting any other shooting I would do.
File this under why I don't shoot single action handguns.

44MAG#1
02-11-2021, 11:54 AM
Then let's pick the 357 Magnum in the same scenario. Maybe the 45 Colt in the same senario.

For me, that gun and load would be a full magnum load in nearly any single action revolver. Those hurt my hands to the point I would flinch after a single cylinder of use, thereby effecting any other shooting I would do.
File this under why I don't shoot single action handguns.

bobthenailer
02-11-2021, 12:21 PM
I have General Purpose loads that shoot well in all hand guns in that caliber , and have some loads worked for max accuracy in a particular gun.
This works pretty well for every caliber except 9mm,were there's is no switching ammo between guns !

tazman
02-11-2021, 01:27 PM
Then let's pick the 357 Magnum in the same scenario. Maybe the 45 Colt in the same senario.

You would get the same answer. Single action handguns don't work for me. My knuckles get beat up shooting them.
The only cartridge I can shoot in a single action revolver without pain is 22lr.

I was initially referring to a load that shot so badly that it made you look like a bad shooter regardless of how good you were.

ABJ
02-11-2021, 01:30 PM

The learning I was referring to is this. My 38 wadcutter on top of 3.5 Unique is not what I consider a known go to load vs the standard 2.8/2.9 Bullseye load which everyone has heard is a go to load. I happened on this load through experimentation. Having shot this load in all my 38's and 357's and every 38/357 that comes to our range, (all total comes to around 30 different firearms) it has proven to be very accurate in everyone of those guns. Is it the most accurate in each? Sometimes yes and sometimes no, but in the no guns it was a very slim difference.
So, What did I learn? I learned that every new 38/357 that comes down the road this is the load I start with if I want a wadcutter load.
Now if I want a 158 grain load I have the same story as above with HP-38/158 grain boolits.
None of what I said has anything to do with one's ability to shoot well, that takes a lot of practice, but one needs to practice with an accurate load. I have accurate loads that "I" don't shoot well offhand and there's the rub, either learn to shoot that load or find a load you can shoot to your standard of accuracy.
I would like to think that anyone that shot as much as Elmer Keith would have had a standard load to start with, on a new to him gun. If it preformed well then no problem, if not then that's where the tinkering begun.
Tony

44MAG#1
02-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Who said it had to be a Single Action? I sure didn't say that.

You would get the same answer. Single action handguns don't work for me. My knuckles get beat up shooting them.
The only cartridge I can shoot in a single action revolver without pain is 22lr.

I was initially referring to a load that shot so badly that it made you look like a bad shooter regardless of how good you were.

robertbank
02-11-2021, 02:20 PM
For what I do I have a few fall back loads I use. I have shot over $K rounds of different loads for different calibers. When I find one that I shoot well and it performs well over the Chrony I just stick to it. My 45 Colt load I like is 8 gr of Unique. If I go to 8.5 it begins to hurt and I don't do hurt well. In any one caliber one load shoots about the same as another. Other than testing for new powder I might find interesting I pretty much stick to a half dozen powders. After 40 years of this you tend to acquire favourites and stick with them.

Take Care

Bob
ps I do get excited though when I pick up a new revolver like my new 10MM Ruger. That is when testing starts the juices going.

tazman
02-11-2021, 02:39 PM
Who said it had to be a Single Action? I sure didn't say that.

No you didn't say that. I did because that is the one that causes me problems.

memtb
02-12-2021, 11:41 AM
For myself, I guess I have two answers. If the uses are for plinking, or self-defense where peak accuracy is not the goal....make the loads reliable and at safe operating pressures for all of the users. If the goal is match type competition or for hunting use....the load is tailored specifically for that handgun! memtb

44MAG#1
02-12-2021, 12:30 PM
That seems sensible. When tuning for a hunting load do you look at bullet performance once it strikes game, only accuracy without regard for bullet performance once it enters the game or a combination of both? Or do you give up some accuracy for the performance on game or give up some performance on game for more accuracy?
Same question on self defense. Now on plinking since bullet performance on target is less important do you load an accurate load of just any load, as long as it is safe, just to plink?
On the Match Ammo do you look for NRA Bullseye accuracy for all types of matches such as NRA Bullseye, IDPA, USPSA IPSC, or IHMSA matches or do you taylor the Match Loads depending on the type of match?

For myself, I guess I have two answers. If the uses are for plinking, or self-defense where peak accuracy is not the goal....make the loads reliable and at safe operating pressures for all of the users. If the goal is match type competition or for hunting use....the load is tailored specifically for that handgun! memtb

bangerjim
02-12-2021, 12:34 PM
I load every cal the same for all the guns in that cal.

I do not split hairs.

I do NOT shoot any kind of accuracy competition at all.

I do not hunt for food.

I do not ever weigh/sort boolits.

I just have fun!

memtb
02-12-2021, 03:42 PM
44MAG#1, please understand that this is simply my criteria.....others may disagree!

For hunting, I’m looking for accuracy and velocity. I use a relatively heavy for caliber, WFN, cast bullet.....in my case, a 400 grain .452”. So....the bullet performance, is simply what that type of bullet will produce! The hunting load is tailored specifically for that firearm, both in accuracy and pressure considerations.

For self-defense (for humans) as shots will likely be “up close and personal”, a reputable expanding bullet, with very reliable feeding (semi-auto), is mandatory. I simply want something is closely matching factory velocities. Accuracy is secondary, as the shots will be a close range, and aimed for center mass..... shots taken under duress and likely rapid fire won’t be measured for group size! Provided the cartridge will feed reliable through all firearm considered.....the cartridges are not firearm specific. If the distances involved will require “match potential”....the subject is far enough away that a rifle may be the preferred firearm. Generally speaking.....you use the handgun to provide the time to get you to your rifle!

For plinking....the loads would be well under max, and only decent, acceptable accuracy is needed (at least for myself).....not match potential! If a semi-auto will be used....your primary concern would be proper feeding in all handguns considered. It shouldn’t be difficult, as this a fairly broad goal. A revolver is very forgiving pertaining to cartridges fitting in the cylinder. Provided they fit in all firearms used, and are under “plus p” pressures, and are somewhat accurate.....they should work well in any revolver or that caliber designation for training/plinking purposes! Just to give an example: a 38 Special, 148 grain wad-cutter, pushed by 2.7 grains of Bullseye should chamber and be totally safe in any revolver from a S&W Chief Special to a S&W Model 28 (N Frame). This is a good, safe plinking/practice load in virtually any firearm chambered for the 38 Special cartridge. My plinking round for my 44 Mag is 9.0 grains of Unique under a 215grain cast bullet. Very accurate, very tame and can be fired from any 44 Magnum handgun.

I don’t actually shoot competition. For my hunting rounds, I base my desired accuracy upon what that firearm should be capable of with that bullet...through internet, and reloading manual information available!

Summary: For my needs, the only cartridge that would be firearm specific...... would be a cartridge operating at maximum pressures while desiring maximum accuracy! memtb

EMC45
02-12-2021, 07:35 PM
If you get a chance, try that 3 grain powder charge under a 125 grain rnfp. It shoots great in my handguns albeit a little low. Recoil about like a 22lr.
Probably about 700fps.

I believe I've tried that load. I have the Lee mold for the 125gr RNFP bullet. I like them all!!

tazman
02-12-2021, 09:28 PM
I believe I've tried that load. I have the Lee mold for the 125gr RNFP bullet. I like them all!!

Same mold I use for that boolit. I use it in both 38 Special and 9mm.

memtb--I neither hunt with handguns or shoot competitive target. I agree with most of your specifications for a defensive handgun except I put one more criteria in there. I want it to be accurate enough at 8 yards(the distance from my bedroom door to the front door) to be able to put a round into a 2 inch circle most shots, roughly the size of an eye-socket. If somebody is trying to hide behind a member of my family and all I can see is his eye, I can still take him out.
On the street, I would agree with everything you said.
I know about stress and what it does to most people. I also know how I react to stress having been in stressful situations several times. During the situation, I am cold as ice. When the situation ends, I fall apart or nearly so. I am odd that way. That means I can plan for it and worry about afterwards later.

memtb
02-13-2021, 12:01 AM
tazman, I think that just about any decent hand load (unless there is a firearm issue) should be capable of 2” groups @ 8 yards! Maybe I’m more particular than I thought I was! :-P

By the way....I respond to a stress situation in a similar fashion. When I was much younger, and just really getting into hunting big game, I was rock steady......until the shot, then get the shakes! memtb

trapper9260
02-13-2021, 05:33 AM
For me I let the gun tell me what it likes . I do have different loads for each gun . no matter if it is the same cartridge . I will test some of one to see it will work in another gun. I do like load development. I learn more from that .

tazman
02-13-2021, 07:56 AM
tazman, I think that just about any decent hand load (unless there is a firearm issue) should be capable of 2” groups @ 8 yards! Maybe I’m more particular than I thought I was! :-P

By the way....I respond to a stress situation in a similar fashion. When I was much younger, and just really getting into hunting big game, I was rock steady......until the shot, then get the shakes! memtb

I remember the first deer I shot with a bow and arrow. I did nearly everything wrong but was thinking clearly and got the shot off and made a good hit. Within a couple of seconds after the arrow hit the deer, I was shaking so badly, I couldn't put another arrow on the string.

I am basing that group size at 8 yards more on my capabilities than that of the gun. I have to be able to shoot it that well.

Forrest r
02-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Life is too short to keep any pistol/revolver around that is out of speck. If I really like that firearm I'll work on it to make it right. But more often then not it goes down the road.

Typically I make 2 or 3 loads that are specific for a firearm that I want to use with accuracy being most important. From there I'll test the same loads in any other pistols/revolvers that are chambered in that caliber & pick 1 of those loads that does reasonably well in all of them.

Over the years I've found that if I have an accurate load in 1 pistol/revolver that same load tends to be accurate in other pistols/revolvers.

Larry Gibson
02-13-2021, 10:40 AM
"Over the years I've found that if I have an accurate load in 1 pistol/revolver that same load tends to be accurate in other pistols/revolvers."

Agree with Forrest r 100%....applies to rifles too.

Bmi48219
02-13-2021, 11:02 AM
If They’re the same cartridge they get the same load. If I can’t get one to function properly after a few months it’s down the road.

BigAlofPa.
02-13-2021, 11:33 AM
Im happy with hitting pop cans at 25 yards. So a run of the mill load works for me in hand gun. For rifle i like to find what the rifle likes the best.

smkummer
02-13-2021, 01:52 PM
2.8 grains bullseye and the lee 125 RF cast bullet is my cowboy action shooting load. It’s borderline for proper pressure. When I tried an undersized 125 RN for 9mm, the report was weak compared to a proper bang with the 358 diameter bullet. All my 38/357 revolvers are colts. They are like what I feed it. If I had one that was “out of spec” with the others, I would either have it fixed or trade it off.

sniper
05-19-2022, 04:12 PM
For years, and a S&W 19, Dan Wesson, S&W 586 and Ruger GP 100 have always used 5.5 gr Unique, with complete satisfaction. Reliable, accurate, pleasant to shoot 150-160 gr cast boolits and 125, 130, 135 158 gr J word, too! 860 Chronoed. 4" I've been talking myself into upping the ante with 6.0 gr. Unique, and I have AA#5 and Univeresal just waiting.

onelight
05-24-2022, 10:00 AM
I load 90% of my handgun ammo like you do taz. I want all of it to work in any pistol I put it in.
But occasionally I will work up loads for a particular gun trying to get the best performance , accuracy and or power.

Green Frog
05-24-2022, 10:07 PM
It appears to me you have two choices, either pick a load that will shoot safely in all of them, and accept that it probably won't be the most accurate in any of them, or devote a batch of ammo specific to each gun, tailored to suit that gun's "preferences".

If you read much on this forum, you'll get the idea that most of us are rabid experimenters who try to wring every bit of accuracy out of everything we shoot, but if truth be told, a lot of us probably fall into the category of making things simple. One or two loads for a caliber regardless of how many guns we have for that caliber. I load my casual stuff that way, and save the extra work for the really special guns that "deserve" it. As with all things though, YMMV! ;)

Froggie