PDA

View Full Version : .218 bee brass

SEMO_shooter
02-08-2021, 04:50 PM
This is my first post so I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place for it. Apologies if not. I've just purchased a marlin 1894cl in .218 bee and am trying to find some brass to load for it. Already have dies, powder, bullets, and primers but can't find the dern brass. I've searched everywhere and looked through numerous old posts for suggestions. Closest I've come is buffalo arms who currently have a single piece of brass in stock. So my question is does anyone know of a place that currently has some in stock or perhaps a person who might be willing to sell me a few pieces to get started shooting until hornady or winchester makes another production run. I am aware of the possibility of making it from .32-20 but don't want to invest the money in all the extra dies to do so just as a stop gap until I can get factory cases. Thanks for any help in advance

Bad Ass Wallace
02-08-2021, 05:09 PM
You may have to reconsider reforming 32/20. Haven't seen 218 Bee in any shops for over two years but they had Starline 32/20 cases. I reformed a lot to 25/20 and 218 Mashburn Bee so I could keep shooting. It's not hard, 32/20 to 25/20 in the first pass, anneal, then to 218 Bee in the next pass.

https://i.imgur.com/6AFUHJM.jpg

SEMO_shooter
02-08-2021, 05:19 PM
I know that that may end up being my only option for new brass. The reason I've written off that option is because I can currently get a box of 50 cartridges for 65 bucks from HSM. While the idea of buying completed ammunition has become relatively offensive to me in the past few years I can't deny that it makes more sense to buy the made ammo and reuse the brass than to pay much more to make my own brass. The other issue I have is that the brass would then be mis labeled as .32-20 which could get confused with the cases for my .32-20 revolver.

sharps4590
02-08-2021, 06:34 PM
Boy SEMO, you might be up against the wall. My experience echo's BAW's, unless you might come across some NOS at a gun show. I have on occasion seen some at various shows. I've formed a bunch from 32-20, keep your brass separated and identified. I have 32-20, 25-20 made from 32-20 and 218 made from 32-20. I've never had any difficulties. I did buy some Starline nickel plated in 32-20, (it's all they had at the time), and reformed it to 25-20. I wouldn't recommend that as the loss rate was pretty high. Plain ol' brass cases form quite easily with very low loss.

And I must ask, is SEMO for southeast Missouri?

david s
02-08-2021, 06:51 PM
On GUNSINTERNATIONAL under 218 Bee there are 5 listings for loaded ammo all at $50+ per box. Hornady made some 218 brass about three years ago but it seems to have disappeared. If you don't want to form any making empties may be an option.

Soundguy
02-08-2021, 06:58 PM
Another thing to consider. At least for Winchester brass. I have seen plenty of splits from 1x firing at the neck. I reload 218 bee. It was my first caliber. I * think* I have spare, used, brass.

SEMO_shooter
02-08-2021, 07:02 PM
Boy SEMO, you might be up against the wall. My experience echo's BAW's, unless you might come across some NOS at a gun show. I have on occasion seen some at various shows. I've formed a bunch from 32-20, keep your brass separated and identified. I have 32-20, 25-20 made from 32-20 and 218 made from 32-20. I've never had any difficulties. I did buy some Starline nickel plated in 32-20, (it's all they had at the time), and reformed it to 25-20. I wouldn't recommend that as the loss rate was pretty high. Plain ol' brass cases form quite easily with very low loss.

And I must ask, is SEMO for southeast Missouri?

It's funny, brass didn't seem in short supply when I checked on it a few months ago. I guess I failed to notice the big red letters saying "out of stock" on every source. That's good to know about the nickel plated brass also, wouldn't have thought twice about ordering it before. Also my name is indeed in reference to southeast missouri. Both SEMO which is my alma mater and the portion of the state because it's where my family is from and where I do most of my hunting.

beshears
02-08-2021, 07:29 PM
PM sent

Soundguy
02-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Win is the only brass I've had necksplit. If you can't find any pm me.

Trophy Tom
02-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Gunbroker has brass also. Looks to be selling for around 75 cents to a dollar per piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texas by God
02-08-2021, 10:28 PM
The 1894CL .218 Bee is a great gun. I took one along on a trip to Muleshoe for grins and ended up shooting prairie dogs out to 200 yards consistently in the morning before the wind kicked up. My Dad still has that rifle and 300 rounds of Winchester factory and my Speer flat nose reloads- but no empty brass. Good luck on your search, it will be worth it when you find them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

turtlezx
02-09-2021, 12:27 AM
tom is right gunbroker just saw 4 diffent auctions for 218 bee brass
if no 1 on cast boolits are willing to part with some gb is the place to get it

ReloaderFred
02-09-2021, 01:16 AM
Please make NO offers to buy or sell outside of S&S.

sharps4590
02-09-2021, 08:38 AM
So, is SEMO still home or have migrated?

Trophy Tom
02-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Withdrawn. Should have been posted in S&S
My apologies.

farmbif
02-09-2021, 10:33 AM
forming takes a bit of finesse. ive tried making 25-20 out of 32-20 and have not been too successful yet. but I don't have as much patience as some I guess.

Soundguy
02-09-2021, 11:17 AM
Please make NO offers to buy or sell outside of S&S.

Well.. no one had till Trophy Tom stepped in...

cwtebay
02-09-2021, 03:15 PM
This is my first post so I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place for it. Apologies if not. I've just purchased a marlin 1894cl in .218 bee and am trying to find some brass to load for it. Already have dies, powder, bullets, and primers but can't find the dern brass. I've searched everywhere and looked through numerous old posts for suggestions. Closest I've come is buffalo arms who currently have a single piece of brass in stock. So my question is does anyone know of a place that currently has some in stock or perhaps a person who might be willing to sell me a few pieces to get started shooting until hornady or winchester makes another production run. I am aware of the possibility of making it from .32-20 but don't want to invest the money in all the extra dies to do so just as a stop gap until I can get factory cases. Thanks for any help in advancePm sent

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SEMO_shooter
02-10-2021, 06:42 PM
Apologies to everyone. I seem to have violated ToS with my very first post. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'll be hitting those gunbroker auctions, which I hadn't even thought of for some reason, and someone was nice enough to donate me some cases to get started until I can get a few batches from there. Thanks all, especially beshears and cwtebay. Now to hunt for load data

Soundguy
02-10-2021, 06:44 PM
Check your powder maker. Cross a powder and projectile data.

SEMO_shooter
02-10-2021, 06:45 PM
So, is SEMO still home or have migrated?

No I've moved north. The job market wasn't working out for me down there so I'm closer to St Louis now.

sharps4590
02-10-2021, 08:53 PM
Glad you have some brass on the way. If you can't find any data, which is unlikely, let me know as I have several "old" manuals. According to several on here the manuals I use are "old"...like me...lol! Seriously, I do have some that are older and I know the Bee is in them.

As long as you're just closer to St. Louis that isn't too bad. I couldn't handle living in the city.

Soundguy
02-10-2021, 09:28 PM
What powders you got? I'll check my manuals. I load bee.

SEMO_shooter
02-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Oh no. I could never live in that city. I think I'm good on loads now. My die set came with a pretty good list and I've gotten a few loads from some guys on here.