PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shotgun loading

USMC87
02-08-2021, 09:55 AM
I was given a Lee 12 ga loader that is new along with 150 pounds of shot, What wads do I buy for hunting loads? Also I will be loading for 16 and 20 ga in the future, Is there much difference loading them? I have been told I can use low brass spent casings for loading hunting loads, Is that true? What would be a good load book to buy? What would be a good powder for the 3 ga listed above for hunting loads? Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate any help.

Walla2
02-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Lyman Shotshell book would be an excellent start.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-08-2021, 01:49 PM
I second buying the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook. Also, visit the Ballistic Products Inc. website, and order one of their free catalogs. You'll find all sorts of wads pictured with explanations of what they're best used for. They also have a manual specifically for 12 Gauge, with lots and lots of loads, combinations of powder, wads, and hulls. As for loading the different gauges, there is the difference of powders, amount of powders, amount of shot, wads, but the technique remains the same. Low brass/high brass, virtually no difference in utility, but choose quality shells (hulls) as not all of them hold up to repeated reloadings.

What kind of a Lee press do you have? If it's a LoadAll II you can buy kits to adapt to different gauges, but since they're so relatively inexpensive I bought one for each gauge.

DG

gpidaho
02-08-2021, 01:57 PM
USMC87: As mentioned by Walla2, get the newest edition Lyman manual and read the information forward of the load data. There are strait wall hulls and tapered hulls and a variety of base wads. The height of the brass on the case makes little difference. All this is explained in detail in the Lyman shotgun manual. Very nice gift by the way. Enjoy the new adventure. Gp

remy3424
02-08-2021, 02:13 PM
First, get the Lyman manual and read it. If you have nothing but shot, you will need hulls (hopefully a pile of the same ones), primers, wads and powder and these may not be easy to find currently, things don't as readily interchange as metallic case reloading. Follow the receipes from your manual or Hodgdon's site I would say. I am guessing you will need more than one powder. Get a Lyman manual. Good luck with this.

MOA
02-08-2021, 02:51 PM
These four I've had for many years and use often. I've also recently picked up about 7 or 8 from BPI on buckshot an slugs plus 10,12,16,20 and 410 too. All good references and great reading. Lyman has a important section in full color on Hull identification. It's the inside of the hull that's very important but often hidden in the role it plays in the shells performance. They may look the same on the outside but be very different on the inside. That's the area where all the pressure does its work. A complete understanding is essential for saftey and excellent patterns.

https://i.postimg.cc/FH5wSgQ8/Screenshot-2021-02-08-11-36-26.png (https://postimg.cc/2VGHRWy7)

rking22
02-08-2021, 04:26 PM
Agree on getting and reading the Lyman book, it clears up lots of questions. The wads you need will depend on the hulls you get and the shot load you wish to load. I use 7/8 oz in early dove season and 1 1/4 oz for turkey in the 12 gage, takes different wads. Unique can bridge all 3 gages, along with others but better performance is gained with using more idea powder for the specific load. Read up and enjoy your new hobby. Oh, and primers are scarce, even 209s!

rancher1913
02-08-2021, 05:08 PM
no mater how many shotshell books you got, you can never find a recipe for the supplies you have, thats one of murphy's rules for shotgunning.

dverna
02-08-2021, 06:40 PM
Do not risk substituting components in a shell...especially primers. Just follow the book recommendations and you will be safe. Hulls matter a lot too.

Totally different than loading metallic and very little wiggle room.

USMC87
02-08-2021, 07:38 PM
You guys are the best, I really appreciate the help. I have a LEE Load All 2