PDA

View Full Version : cardboard pistol boxes

JRLesan
02-08-2021, 08:59 AM
Looking for a source of NEW boxes suitable for storage of small and medium handguns. Would prefer 2 piece style with the reinforced corners such as S&W's were sold with back in the 70's and before. Anybody know where to find some or if they're even available?

contender1
02-08-2021, 09:13 AM
It may not be what you desire,, but I have been using a free type of box to store my old gun boxes in to protect the old cardboard boxes.

Back in the 50's -80's,, Ruger used to ship their handguns in a brown cardboard "shipper" to protect the boxes & the guns. These shippers are hard to find (original ones,,,) but the concept is good.
I started years ago,, using the brown cardboard carton's used to ship cases of Winchester primers as outer protective boxes for my older gun boxes & guns. I'd just unfold the box, reverse the folds & re-assemble it. Viola' a plain brown rectangle protective cardboard box, that is stack-able etc. And I can mark on the end what's inside it with a label or a marker.

Just an idea thrown out here.

Petrol & Powder
02-08-2021, 09:21 AM
Check out Uline
https://www.uline.com/index?pricode=WK621&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=uline&utm_campaign=ULINE&AdKeyword=uline&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=4047733b61431100d662131a5b81bccf&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=4047733b61431100d662131a5b81bccf

JRLesan
02-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Went thru the U-line paper catalog that came in the mail this last week and nothing that fits my desires. Anybody????

CastingFool
02-11-2021, 10:27 AM
I've found some boxes used to ship small tools or instruments, with foam waffle inserts, that are the appropriate size to store handguns. So for, they work just fine. One plus, is that the outside offers no hint of what's inside. You can stack them on a shelf, and looks like storage stuff.

contender1
02-11-2021, 11:06 AM
If you do get boxes with waffle foam,,, do NOT store guns in them for extended periods of time. Bad for the guns.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-11-2021, 11:33 AM
I bought a case of the plastic single pistol cases with sliding latches and egg crate interior foam, 24 in the case. They are much more durable than cardbard, and the sliding latches lock them closed so your handgun doesn't spill out if dropped. Years ago I learned that the foam will absorb the oil off the surface of the handgun, so I put each in a plastic bag inside the case, and if for long term storage I wrap them in a sheet of no-rust papers obtainable from Brownell's. Currently, today, with all the inflation, price gouging, and shortages I can't say what they'd cost, but 5 years ago I got them for about $7 each including shipping by buying a case of them.

DG

JRLesan
02-11-2021, 03:39 PM
So, GREAT, but where'd you get them???

trooperdan
02-11-2021, 04:02 PM
You wouldn't go wrong by taking a look at Protecta-gun boxes by Roberts Arms Specialties in Harper's Ferry WV. The website is www.protectagun.com . They have 10 size of plain brown cardboard heavy duty boxes available at under $6 each. They are a small family run business that ships first then bills you! You are dealing with a person, not a faceless web entity when you order from them.

Shawlerbrook
02-11-2021, 04:04 PM
What ever boxes you use wrap in waxed kraft paper or rust inhibiting bags.
https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/

JRLesan
02-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Protectagun is what I was looking for; thank you...

Der Gebirgsjager
02-15-2021, 01:50 PM
Sadly , like most gun related items, most of their products seem to be out of stock.

I see where you inquired about where I got the plastic pistol cases. I made the big purchase of a case of them about 8 years ago, and I don't remember the name of the specific company. But I still have 3 or 4 unused cases remaining in the box out in my shop, so I'll get out there today, climb the ladder, and see if a shipping label is still on the box. If so, I'll revisit this thread and post the information. It was something like KCI or KBI, and they were a new start-up distributor located (I think) in Kansas City. What is nice about the cases is that they are recessed on one side and protrude a bit on the other side so that they stack well and won't slide apart.

All that having been said, I have always used plastic cases of one description and maker or another. The negative is that they are bulky in storage, but the positive is the enhanced protection and relative low cost. I have them with snap locks and slide locks. I think many are Doskocil. Except for that one time case purchase I used to buy them in lots of 2 or 3 at a time as needed.

I have acquired firearms here and there all my life, and having used to have been a dealer and gunsmith accelerated the process. To clean and oil every one once a year would just about be a full time job, so what I arrived at was the plastic cases, both handgun and rifle, for storage. I clean and oil the firearm, then if it is a handgun I wrap it completely in Brownell's no-rust paper which comes in sheets about the size of printer paper. If it is a long gun I use 2 of the rifle length strips and attach them with rubber bands lengthwise on the firearm. Then I put it into an ordinary plastic bag and store in the plastic case. I see that the Protectagun bags advertise no rust for 5 years, but the no-rust paper says 10-15 years. I have firearms that haven't been looked at for 10 years, but when I pull one out they remain rust free. It was a learning process as I went along. Originally I just oiled them and put them in a hard case, but the egg crate foam sucked the oil off and left dry spots. I got lucky and never had one go rusty, but I had fewer and checked them more frequently. Obviously a plastic bag would prevent that from happening, and then as the storage periods became longer I went with the no-rust paper. On the last big maintenance job I inspected and re-oiled each and every one before I moved 4 years ago, and I bought a bunch of the metallic storage bags from Brownell's. I dispensed with the plastic bags for most (but not all) of my accumulation. So the routine changed slightly to oil, no-rust paper, metallic bag, hard case. When the urge strikes me to dig out a specific firearm for one reason or another, when I repack it for return to storage I use fresh no-rust paper.

Just like dish detergent or donuts, you can always get items cheaper by purchasing more. For most folks a case of plastic pistol cases would be too many, and maybe cost more than they were willing to spend, but if you are a collector with or without a collection goal (like me) then it's worth the investment. Call around, maybe Natchez or similar and see if they won't perhaps give you a deal on a case. But, like most things right now, I'll bet they're out of stock.

DG

Der Gebirgsjager
02-15-2021, 06:02 PM
Here's a good example of how time can dim the memory. The label was still on the box, and the shipper was:

OPI Inc.
4229 Royal Ave.
STE 108
Oklahoma City, OK 73108
(405) 301-8296

I have no idea if they are still in business.

Here's what the cases look like. As I mentioned before, they stack nicely. I think over the years I have seen this same case labelled with different manufacturers' names. The cases themselves are unmarked, but it's kind of like in the supermarket-- several different labels are on the same shaped plastic bottle with different brand names.

277729 277730

DG