PDA

View Full Version : What’s the metal clothe for annealing called?

Darth-Vaj
02-07-2021, 06:07 PM
I remember I saw a post about wrapping brass up in metal “clothe” prior to annealing and adding charcoal to it so that it doesn’t “scale” the brass. I used aluminum foil to wrap up the brass but turns out the aluminum foil became extremely brittle and just flake off after attempting to remove from the kiln, leaving a mess in the kiln while hot. The brass came with no scales at all. All I need is the metal clothe that was talked about in a post. Not sure what’s it call?

Winger Ed.
02-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Most folks don't wrap it with anything, or use a kiln.

Get on youtube and search 'annealing brass by hand'.
there's a bunch of videos of guys doing it from simple, redneck methods, to the ultra fancy.

About 20 years ago, when everybody suddenly discovered annealing---
The redneck on a low budget would borrow a flat bottom roasting pan from the kitchen,
fill it with water up almost to the shoulders of a bunch of unprimed brass standing up in it.

Then with a propane torch, going straight down, heat the neck while holding the base with needle nose pliers.
When the neck glowed, turn it over in the pan.

cwtebay
02-07-2021, 07:42 PM
I saw that method description also. Gotta say, if you're wanting to do it on the cheap get a deep well socket - a cordless drill and some tinfoil (to place in the bottom of the socket for depth) - and then watch one of the many youtube videos on annealing. There are many different ways to accomplish this goal, hope you figure out one that works for you.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

rockrat
02-07-2021, 08:30 PM
I think, at least I hope, that he is talking about annealing the entire case so he can swage it to make a bullet, not annealing just the neck area.

cwtebay
02-07-2021, 08:33 PM
I think, at least I hope, that he is talking about annealing the entire case so he can swage it to make a bullet, not annealing just the neck area.Ahhhh.... perhaps. I saw something where an individual was wrapping the body of the case in (some sort of substance - not going to post this here) and setting in a prewarmed kiln for annealing purposes.

Darth-Vaj
02-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Yeah I meant for use as jackets. That’s why I posted in the swaging section. XD

cwtebay
02-07-2021, 09:33 PM
Yeah I meant for use as jackets. That’s why I posted in the swaging section. XDApologies, and good luck!

clodhopper
02-07-2021, 10:39 PM
Do you mean stainless steel foil?

The stuff is pretty spendy, many guys use a reusable container made from pipe nipple and two pipe caps.
put your brass in the container, add some paper or sawdust to soak up all the oxygen when it chars. Put it in the kiln, woodstove, cooking grill, or campfire.