PDA

View Full Version : Adding Copper ?

Johnch
02-07-2021, 04:01 AM
OK I know Copper isn't Tin or Antimony
But I have been using a Babbitt Alloy mixed in to my alloy for high velocity 223 cast bullet loads

Running low on the Babbitt alloy and would prefer not to have to buy more from Rotometals [smilie=b:
So I was wondering if I could use fine scrap copper from when I was cutting L type Copper tubing on the Lathe
I has a small % of Phosphorus
But that is like .02 % I believe

The Babbitt I am using is Tin , Antimony and Copper
I think 8 or 8 1/2% Copper , but when I add the Babbitt to the rest of the alloy I know the percentage of copper goes way down

I know Copper will slowly mix into a lead alloy if it is left in the lead pot at the right temp for a length of time
SO I was wondering if I put a BUNCH of the fine scrap copper ( sort of like a fine copper wire ) in the lead pot
Then added what I figure should be the rest of alloy and left the alloy and copper soak in the lead pot at a ( Don't Know ) temp or how long
Would enough of the copper be added to the lead alloy to help with the toughness ?

Thanks
John

Rcmaveric
02-07-2021, 08:32 AM
I add zinc and then flux with copper sulfate. Add zinc to percentage you want then flux till copper sulfate is white powdery and not grey powdery.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

JimB..
02-07-2021, 09:09 AM
There was an article published in 1951 in the Journal of the American Chemical Society that addresses the solubility of copper in lead. I didn’t read it all so don’t know if they started with metalic copper or some salt.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ja01154a111

Cosmic_Charlie
02-07-2021, 09:39 AM
So what kind of bhn were you getting with your babbit alloy mixture? Is the copper the only way to get the properties you desire?

Rcmaveric
02-07-2021, 10:09 AM
Copper is a grain refinery so to speak. Makes bullets tougher. Works because of the size of the copper atoms. They crowd the elevator (metaphorical). Resist shearing.

I wonder if zinc will have the same affect since those atoms are twice the size of copper. If you have too much of them they both have the same effect on castibalility. Clogged and freezing spouts and rounded edges. Both cast well at .1%. Make hard bullets too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

William Yanda
02-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Can you add Cu to your tin? I suspect that the phosphorus, diluted, will not be a problem.

Conditor22
02-07-2021, 12:30 PM
I've used ZEP root killer (copper sulfate) to add copper;

A few years ago I bought a bunch of monotype single letters and they came with thin copper shims. I thought the shims would just float to the top but they melted into the alloy

as tested by BNE LEAD-72.00…TIN-9.4….ANTIMONY-17.6……COPPER-1.0

colchester
02-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Foundry type can be a source of alloyed copper ATF foundry type had about 2% copper

rockrat
02-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Like you, I add babbit (#3) to my mix so I come out just under a tenth of a percent. Called a metal supply over in Denver a few years ago and if I bought 10 lbs , then it was $15/lb. I use 1 lb per 120 lbs of alloy, so 10 lbs goes a long way. Don't know what Rotometals charges, but you might check for a metal supplier near you or see if anyone on the site has some for sale. IIRC the #3 is around 8% copper

Johnch
02-08-2021, 08:45 PM
Thanks

375RUGER
02-08-2021, 09:43 PM
One way I add copper is use fine copper wire, fluxed with tinning flux and add it to pure Sn until the tin won't take anymore. Temp has to be pretty high. When no more copper dissolves, I pour the mix into a muffin pan to make Sn-Cu "dollars". I weigh the "dollars" and mark them so I know how much I'm adding. I don't recall, how much, but you can add about 7% Cu to the Sn.
I think the sticky "high copper alloys" explains the process.
I found that fluxing the copper wire helps a lot especially if the copper is a bit oxidized.