PDA

View Full Version : Suggested mold & load data for a Uberti .45?

kingstrider
12-22-2008, 01:00 AM
I recently acquired this Cimmaron (Uberti) birds head .45 Colt and am debating whether or not to keep it as I have no longer have reloading components for .45LC since I sold my Vaquero. If I were to buy a mold for it, what would you gentlemen suggest? What about load data? I'm going to venture the imported replicas are built for soft cowboy loads. I would like to trade this for a Ruger Old Army but it does feel pretty good and I like the old style lockwork. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/uberti1.jpg

Dale53
12-22-2008, 01:08 AM
The Uberti should be good for any SAAMI standard .45 Colt load. If you are shooting for effect (hunting or self defense) you can't beat Elmer's bullet, the Lyman 452424 with a proper load of Unique.

If you are shooting for target use, the same bullet (these guns are typically regulated for the 250-260 gr bullet) with about 5.0 grs of Bullseye works well.

I have also shot a bushel basket full of the Lyman 452664 RF (the Cowboy bullet) with black powder quite successfully (also works just as well with smokeless). When using black powder, it IS important to use a good black powder lube.

I have a Cimarron .44 Special with 4 5/8" barrel that shoots REALLY well. I didn't even have to do a trigger job - it came with an excellent trigger.

Dale53

felix
12-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Do what Dale says and don't tear the gun up. They can take reasonable pressures because of the modern steel used, but not the recoil because of the light weight locking mechanisms. I have a couple of Colt knockoffs made in Switzerland like the proverbial Swiss watch, and they only get the typical bullseye loads, like 6 grains 700X with 180 or 200 grainer ACP boolits. ... felix

StrawHat
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
What about load data? I'm going to venture the imported replicas are built for soft cowboy loads.

Basically it is a copy of the Colts Model P and as such will take any load safe in that revolver. The mouse fart loads of the cowboy shooters are mild loads. You can safly get 850 or 900 fps with the 255 grain lead bullets, but probably not with that barrel length. Unique is a good powder to try. I prefer black and I load either the Lyman 255 Keith or the rcbs 270 KEith/Scovill boolit.

Brian Pearce and others have published reams of loads for the Model P. If you need specific loads I can steer you to good sources.

cajun shooter
12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Now Straw Hat, Please don't use such a blanket statement such as "THE MOUSE FART LOADS OF THE COWBOY SHOOTERS. I will be the first to say that CAS has moved a long way from where it started. But we do have a large number of us who are refusing to shoot the loads and stand by the original loads of a full case of the "HOLY BLACK" which as you know come no where close to being in that class. Just funning with you sir! Later

StrawHat
12-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Now Straw Hat, Please don't use such a blanket statement such as "THE MOUSE FART LOADS OF THE COWBOY SHOOTERS. I will be the first to say that CAS has moved a long way from where it started. But we do have a large number of us who are refusing to shoot the loads and stand by the original loads of a full case of the "HOLY BLACK" which as you know come no where close to being in that class. Just funning with you sir! Later

No offense taken.

I was referring to the loads that make more noise Being dropped on the floor than they do being fired. Or the black powder loads that they have to bring in the judges to see if "enough smoke" is made.

bobk
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
kingstrider,
That's an awful pretty gun! I'd personally anticipate a future of kicking myself if I ever got rid of it. I just wonder if a 225-230 gr. boolit might shoot close to the sights.

Bob K

Heavy lead
12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd really like to try that with a 454423. Nice carry gun, yet still would take a deer nicely.