PDA

View Full Version : Metford rifling and the patch ????

Harter66
02-06-2021, 05:55 PM
So my Dad bought this 6.5×50 Japanese Arisaka 1927 type 38 rifle about a year before he passed , so it's been sitting about 5 yr and who knows how long before that .

I don't post often but I've been patching for several years with good success following the basics with my 50/50ish pistol alloy . I even killed a mule deer with a 200 gr PP in and 06' .

The Arisaka bore was a little dark and some scrubbing with brass brushes and a few passes with steel wool knocked most of the gravel out of the bore leaving a little bit of sticky not really drag or bind with a patched jag . Slugging showed me .258×.268 more or less but it would chamber a .278 as far out as .375 from the case mouth in formed 35 Rem . It's only about .280 in proper Norma brass but it touches the neck enough to scrub soot off .

Bare cast with a 270-140 FP NOE , 280473 and a .277-130 PC left an impressive even coat of gray haze with a couple of goobers . Accuracy ranged from palm sized with the NOE to 14" with the 280473 .

I proceeded with SOP and assorted bullets a 280473 sized down to .265 which wiped the grooves and the GC shank step . It shot about 4" with 9.9 Unique at 50 yd with the 280473 and just 46-48" with the Loverne 266473 both sized .265 .

Moving on , I expected very little with 160 gr start loads of H4831 at 35,35.5,& 36 gr . I was instead rewarded with about an 8" triangle at 35 gr and at 35.5 a roughly a 4×6 football shaped group . 36 gr delivered more or less point of hold for 2 shots about 3" and 3 off in parts unknown . I did get some confetti a bit of land marked and what was a still folded base . Mostly just poof dust .

With that known , I dry wrap , folded tails , from some old school calculator tape . The goal was to clean up the bore not shoot groups but if you're doing it you may as well do it right . I should add that the trigger is 2 stage of about 3.5# of take up , 7# to break , and the sights leave a little something to be desired . But I feel like my hold is good and follow through isn't horrible . The last part is that this is Metford rifled so I doesn't have a hard edge to cut patches in fact I can see where if the patch doesn't spin or parachute off and stays intact it could ride along quite a ways .
I'll try to get some pictures of the bore as is with a picture of what I started with .

Any experience with Metford rifling or other no hard edge polygonal rifling ?
Am I headed the right way when I go to green bar paper ?
Should I write a whole process of getting there like it's new ground ?

barrabruce
02-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Try patching against the rifling so it wants to come off instead of twist tighter.
May help.

barrabruce
02-06-2021, 10:35 PM
Bright Idea Alert

258 bore
268 groove
278 300 into bore
Hmmm
Maybe try patching 268-270 with lined note pad 2.5 thou or 3thou paper.
Fill the free bore /leade up.

The act of forcing it into the bore could/would/should size it to bore size.
There will be no support for a bit but the paper jacket.

I would say you should get a clean powder burn and pressures may spike a bit from suggested loads.
But I’m no guru on how powders are going to react.

Just a thought.

Maybe wrap some copper foil around them.
Wonder if that has been tried.
Or maybe a long copper cap to put them in then taper the front over to a point..
:Bright idea:

Harter66
02-06-2021, 11:06 PM
I tried some "fill the throat" naked cast in the 280473 with a check . Results were ......less than enthusiastic . JW Phillips helped with some formed brass and coated 277-130s that might work with a check . Those and the NOE bullet were seated to full bore seal or at least a full contact circle on the nose .

With things as they are here now it's unlikely any of those new fangled copper clad bullets are available in a once common .268 dia .

I think they were wrapped right hand .......I have to reverse the angle as the tape paper wants to curl around as is . Shouldn't be too big a deal , I'll have a .272 sizer die in about 2 weeks . Ammohead is making me one but needs some .278s to test size .

I have a 7mm-168 I could run through the .278 push through sizer lubed lots of bearing surface .
I have the sister mold to the 473 with standard lube groove and plain based I could size it .265 ...... I suppose I could try the 473 unsized its really only biting the bottom 4 bands .......

I kind of thought treating the Metford rifling like Micro groove would be the ticket .

303Guy
02-07-2021, 03:25 AM
Not quite Metford rifling but a very worn Enfield rifled bore. I loaded it to the minimum to disintegrate the patch before heading out into the field. It shot great until the bore polished up and the patches no longer disintegrated. I was using H4227 in the 303 with 208gr smooth sided fairly soft alloy boolits, sized to fit an unsized neck and fill the throat. So What I was finding was that with the rounded rifling, I needed enough pressure to disintegrate the patch. Once the bore polished up I had to increase the charge. So for me the optimum velocity-pressure worked out with the faster powder. I haven't tried a rifle powder in the rifle so that's all I have. Don't forget that the Martini Henry does not have sharp cutting edges and that fired paper patched boolits.