PDA

View Full Version : The times are a'changing

Goofy
02-06-2021, 09:32 AM
Don't recall perzactly when I started scavenging wheel weights from the local tire shop, maybe 8-10 years ago. First batch was all lead, as was the second. About 3 years ago I grabbed another load and found some that were zinc and did not melt (thank you Lord!). It wasn't a lot of them, maybe 2-3 pounds. Picked up another batch yesterday and began the melt down.

The initial load was a 5 gallon bucket heaping full. Broke that down into a couple of 3 gallon buckets, lit the fire and jumped into the deep end. Knowing there were some ferringees in the mix I sorted a fair bit. Started noticing that a large number had symbols not seen in the past. Fe, Zn etc. Easy to sort that. Much to my surprise many of the stick on weights were so labeled. I pulled out the horseshoe magnet and got serious. End of day 1 I wound up with about half of the first load converted to ingots and about 2 gallons of trash....and 80# of ingots. I was astounded at the volume portion changes. I reckon that living in Small Town, USA does not make one immune to progress.

Get 'em while you can lads, they are fading away.

Rcmaveric
02-06-2021, 09:39 AM
Depends on the parts you live on. When I started some odd years ago, about half of what I recycle ends up being lead.

Sometimes the scrap yard will let me sort the lead before I buy it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

lightman
02-06-2021, 05:20 PM
It depends on where you get them from too. I still get 60-70% lead from our small local tire store. He also still buys and uses lead weights. A friend of a friend gave me a bucket from a car dealership that was probably less than 10% lead.

I agree, get them while you can.

Goofy
02-06-2021, 06:48 PM
Well, about 130-140# of CWW ingots, 20# of stick on weights and the rest was trash. My calibrated back says the trash bucket weighed about 80#.

Charlie Horse
02-18-2021, 10:42 AM
They still put lead WW's on buses. I'm around buses. It takes everything I've got not to tear them off the wheels.

fredj338
02-18-2021, 03:47 PM
I gave up on ww about 8y ago out here. Just too much work for little gain. I would rather berm mine.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2021, 04:08 PM
Depending on how old ya are--- don't be too quick to throw out the zinc.

That's the future of casting.
Check out some youtube videos, not only is there certain advantages to it,
but several folks have already switched over to Zinc, with some rather interesting, and good results.

wwmartin
02-18-2021, 04:08 PM
Isotope lead from the local radio active isotope pharmacy. I've been paying $.50 a pound.
Bill

Jim22
02-19-2021, 08:00 PM
Some jurisdictions have apparently outlawed lead base wheel weights. I checked with a local tire shop here in WA and they told me this state had outlawed them.