02-06-2021, 03:27 AM
Congrats!
Ed <><

Bazoo
02-06-2021, 03:33 AM
Congratulations!

Land Owner
02-06-2021, 06:25 AM
Excellent! So am I, but only my guns know for sure.

smithnframe
02-06-2021, 07:47 AM
What is your specialty?

MrWolf
02-06-2021, 07:48 AM
Congrats! I'm not:groner: good luck

StuBach
02-06-2021, 09:24 AM
Hazah!!! Good job!!! If you do any cool rigs post photos so we can all see and drool [emoji39]

GARD72977
02-06-2021, 09:45 AM
No pictures. I work for a manufacturing company.

T-Bird
02-06-2021, 10:32 AM
what do you do there?

obssd1958
02-06-2021, 11:18 AM
what do you do there?

He's a gunsmith!

By the way, congrats GARD72977!

scattershot
02-06-2021, 11:39 AM
Congrats. Can you make a light-tight dovetail with hand files? THAT’s a gunsmith.

GARD72977
02-06-2021, 11:39 AM
It's an ammunition company

Ole Joe Clarke
02-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Six months ago I couldn't even spell gunsmif, now I are one. :-)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

country gent
02-06-2021, 01:10 PM
Congrats to you. Feels really good when you get the "white" apron.

I have a hard time not laughing at my one relative. Hes assembled 1 AR in a local class and Hes now a gunsmith. LOL

waksupi
02-06-2021, 02:41 PM

I have a hard time not laughing at my one relative. Hes assembled 1 AR in a local class and Hes now a gunsmith. LOL

Those guys put a burr under my saddle.

John Wayne
02-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Well done! Can you rig it where we get first crack at blems and things??:bigsmyl2:

DeadWoodDan
02-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Wish I would have payed more attention to my tool & die instructor in junior college. I may have ended up with your skills or path. If only I was younger. Congratulations on the promotion and good luck!

fixit
02-06-2021, 08:29 PM
That sounds like something I heard at colorado school of trades. That project would make most patient people lose their cool!

fixit
02-06-2021, 08:32 PM
Sorry, that was a response to the light tight dovetail with hand files. Didn't get the quote in there.

Ed K
02-07-2021, 01:43 AM
Congrats. Can you make a light-tight dovetail with hand files? THAT’s a gunsmith.

My experience is that while that may be a good skill to have in the repertoire, few people are willing to pay for what that service would be worth in the year 2021. So yes, that skill may qualify one as an impoverished gunsmith.

shampine
02-07-2021, 07:23 AM
My experience is that while that may be a good skill to have in the repertoire, few people are willing to pay for what that service would be worth in the year 2021. So yes, that skill may qualify one as an impoverished gunsmith.

Now that was good right there , I was thinking along the same lines. Like saying you are not a true mechanic if you can't set the points on an old pickup truck .

Congrats to the OP, well done Sir !

Cosmic_Charlie
02-07-2021, 07:50 AM
25 years ago I had a friend mount a Burris scout scope base on a Remington Model Seven .308. He did an excellent job. The base has been rock solid for several thousand rounds. Now he owns a cnc shop making gun parts and he is always busy. He still has an analog area in his shop where he does proto typing and is happy to thread barrels and do other custom one off jobs. He is self taught and a self made success story.

fixit
02-07-2021, 05:03 PM

Actually, the main purpose of that exercise is to acquaint you with the nitty gritty details of machining, and to allow you to go to that level, if needed. I might add, I think it was also intended to weed out the students who had no business getting anywhere near power machinery.

Scrounge
02-07-2021, 06:07 PM

I'm a ham-handed butcher, myself! ;) Wannabe gunsmith, got lots of books on gunsmithing, and have even done a couple of projects... Maybe if I live to be 100. ;)

Scrounge
02-07-2021, 06:14 PM
Actually, the main purpose of that exercise is to acquaint you with the nitty gritty details of machining, and to allow you to go to that level, if needed. I might add, I think it was also intended to weed out the students who had no business getting anywhere near power machinery.

Yep. Old machinists used to do the same thing sorting wannabe machinist apprentices by handing them a file and chunk of cast iron and asking for a 1" cube, square and true. As I said, I've read a lot of books! ;) Though I did make the T-nut for the QCTP for my Atlas lathe with a file and hacksaw. About 4 hours. 1"x.5"x3" chunk of mild steel to start. It was a weekend, couldn't wait for access to the class machines on Monday. :)

country gent
02-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Yep. Old machinists used to do the same thing sorting wannabe machinist apprentices by handing them a file and chunk of cast iron and asking for a 1" cube, square and true. As I said, I've read a lot of books! Though I did make the T-nut for the QCTP for my Atlas lathe with a file and hacksaw. About 4 hours. 1"x.5"x3" chunk of mild steel to start. It was a weekend, couldn't wait for access to the class machines on Monday.

Actually that test included a square hole that the block had to pass thru on any set of sides. Was quite a job to accomplish.

The machine cut dovetails do work but unlike the true hand cuts there no ease in or direction to them

Watch the old tradesman the file chisel hacksaw and stones were precision tools in their hands

Murphy
02-07-2021, 06:34 PM
GARD72977,

Congratulations. I can't lay claim to that title and ain't bonafide by any means. But, I do own a Dremel tool and have successfully taken apart 2 different Remington Nylon 66's to the bare stock, reassembled them and had zero leftover parts. The shocking part was, they even worked right when I tested them.

All joking aside, keep pursing your passion.

Murphy

skeettx
02-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Well done, well done
Another rung on the corporate ladder!!
Yeeeee Hawwww
Mike

jonp
02-07-2021, 06:42 PM
That's fantastic. Congrats on your success.

Me, I have enough tools to be dangerous and that go's for gunsmithing, mechanic, carpentry etc...

GARD72977
02-07-2021, 07:11 PM
I'm sure a lot of you ' Want a be" gunsmiths have more knowledge than I do. I took classes and trained in the machine shop and with gunsmiths. The needs of the company are some what unique. I'm just happy to have meet the requirements and recieved the job.

I have a good bit of machine equipment. I plan ordering a 14x40 Grizzly gun smith lathe soon. I want to enjoy doing my own work.

Im really thinking about ordering a Shiloh Sharps for my accomplishment next week....

alamogunr
02-07-2021, 07:23 PM
I've got the big set of Brownell's screwdriver inserts and a couple of handles. I don't trust myself with anything else. I admire anyone that can do more. Wish I had started young learning how to repair and modify guns. Way too late now.

Congrats on sticking with it and hope everything turns out the way you want.

02-07-2021, 07:41 PM
GUARD72977
` Good to hear. Congrats on a job.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-07-2021, 08:52 PM
I'm a Gunsmith!

You poor guy.

DG

tankgunner59
02-07-2021, 09:57 PM
I took a gunsmith course myself, but I've never gotten certified - never tried. I only took the course to know how to work on my stuff.
Congratulations!

country gent
02-07-2021, 10:35 PM
Knowledge is the one thing that you can give away and keep at the same time, and once given no one can take it away. Get all you can and share it

Ed K
02-07-2021, 11:10 PM
Well congrats to the OP. It is certainly a noble profession. I would be concerned about income when hanging out the shingle as most plan to however that is not your plan so you should not have to suffer the the "starving artist" lifestyle. If I ever look at the profession skeptically it is because the typical gun shop customers are know-it-alls who want their $90/hour as a mechanic or $150/hour as a plumber and at the same time expect a smith to strip, re-blue and reassemble a revolver for cheap because they are enthusiasts and saw it done on youtube.

country gent
02-07-2021, 11:42 PM
Trust me small machine shops go thru the same thing as do most shops it depends on what side of the counter their on. :wink: Most know of the schooling but dont take in the years of experience it takes to get the reputation, or the cost of equipment.

David2011
02-08-2021, 02:53 AM
The last independent gunsmith I talked with was so backlogged that luxuries like a vacation were infrequent. He did quality work at fair prices to both himself and the customer. He was making very good money at the time. Unfortunately I lost touch with him after leaving the area. It’s possible to make good money as a gunsmith but IMO it’s better to focus on a few specific types of work and develop a reputation for them rather than to try to be everything for everyone.

Burnt Fingers
02-08-2021, 12:29 PM

A look at the wait list for the high end 1911 builders shows that many people are willing to pay.

waksupi
02-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Well congrats to the OP. It is certainly a noble profession. I would be concerned about income when hanging out the shingle as most plan to however that is not your plan so you should not have to suffer the the "starving artist" lifestyle. If I ever look at the profession skeptically it is because the typical gun shop customers are know-it-alls who want their $90/hour as a mechanic or $150/hour as a plumber and at the same time expect a smith to strip, re-blue and reassemble a revolver for cheap because they are enthusiasts and saw it done on youtube.

When I had people try to beat me down on prices, I would ask them, how much do you make an hour? I would then do some math, and tell them how much the piece is at their pay rate. That shut up most of them.

Geezer in NH
02-08-2021, 08:31 PM
Here ya go!

Scrounge
02-08-2021, 08:56 PM
When I had people try to beat me down on prices, I would ask them, how much do you make an hour? I would then do some math, and tell them how much the piece is at their pay rate. That shut up most of them.

Dad did appliance repair starting when I was a teenager, and with my help, such as it was. Had a story he told that I'm pretty sure he got from the guy we bought the business from when he retired at age 77. Repairman goes to the lady's house, and she tells him what her washer is doing. He listens carefully, then asks her to start a load as she normally does. He watches her and the machine. When the problem starts up, he pulls a small screwdriver from his pocket and turn a screw 1/4 turn to the left. Machine stops messing up, and runs through the cycle properly. He says "That will be $50." She says, with outrage, "You're charging me $50 for turning a little screw?" Says he, "No, Ma'am, I am charging you $50 for knowing which screw to turn, which way, and how far."

What I hate is paying the mechanic's rate, and not getting the work I paid for. Had to get inspections on our cars annually here, when I first arrived. Took a '93 Buick Century in for its annual inspection, which it passed. As I was pulling out the muffler fell out. The entire front face of the muffler was rusted out. It was one of the items he supposedly checked. I took it elsewhere to have it fixed, and haven't been back to that dealer ever since. They're still there, and still in business, too.

JWFilips
02-08-2021, 09:20 PM
I have been a certified Commercial Photographer for 48 Years: out of those 48 years it has took me half of those years to prove My certification on the National Standard!Even though I'm retired now I still keep my best clients! I'm planning on going 2 more years to make it 50 Years in my profession!
Yes I also am A gunsmith since 1983! No registration & no Papers But I have been! Made some of the finest flintlock weapons from scratch in that time!... I do not call myself a gunsmith Only a worker in the craft

fiberoptik
02-09-2021, 12:30 AM
GARD72977,

Congratulations. I can't lay claim to that title and ain't bonafide by any means. But, I do own a Dremel tool and have successfully taken apart 2 different Remington Nylon 66's to the bare stock, reassembled them and had zero leftover parts. The shocking part was, they even worked right when I tested them.

All joking aside, keep pursing your passion.

Murphy

I failed that test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GARD72977
02-09-2021, 12:37 AM
I had my first official day and loved it!

GARD72977
02-09-2021, 12:42 AM
I have been a certified Commercial Photographer for 48 Years: out of those 48 years it has took me half of those years to prove My certification on the National Standard!Even though I'm retired now I still keep my best clients! I'm planning on going 2 more years to make it 50 Years in my profession!
Yes I also am A gunsmith since 1983! No registration & no Papers But I have been! Made some of the finest flintlock weapons from scratch in that time!... I do not call myself a gunsmith Only a worker in the craft

I dont call myself a worker in the craft because I now make a living as a gunsmith just as you did as a photographer.

David2011
02-09-2021, 04:21 AM
Gard, what sort of work are you doing as a gunsmith?

GARD72977
02-09-2021, 07:39 AM
I maintain the company's firarms and barrells that are used for testing. I'm not filing dovetails....

I can't post anything specific.

shampine
02-09-2021, 07:52 AM
I dont call myself a worker in the craft because I now make a living as a gunsmith just as you did as a photographer.

Well said Sir !

James Wisner
02-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Be careful that is a very slippery slope you are on now, calling your self a Gunsmith

I have been Gunsmithing now for 49 years, am 2nd Gen in my family, and I still do learn a few new things from time to time.
Have made Custom Gun parts for decades and sold them to most of the big boys over the years, as well as installing the custom parts on my customers guns.

The one story I recall was we sold a Pre 64 M70 bolt to a Master Gunsmith in FL years ago. Both him and his son were these great Master Gunsmiths.
He called me up and said the bolt would not turn into the receiver all the way, so he sent me the barreled action.
I am looking at this bolt ?, he had beat on the handle with a ball pein hammer trying to close the bolt, he had filed on the bolt in several areas.
Yes the bolt would slide into the action and then only close part way and just stop.
Some dang fool had put on the front scope base and used the longest 6x48 screw they could find, so the screw was hanging down about 3/16" into the receiver recess the locking lug needed to turn into. !!!!!!
I did get the bent screw out of the receiver and OMG the bolt would simply drop and turn into place like it was built to fit the action.
When I called and talked to the Master Gunsmith his answer was, I did not put that scope base on so I did not even look at it.

Just one story at a time for now.

J Wisner

uscra112
02-09-2021, 11:00 AM
Now that was good right there , I was thinking along the same lines. Like saying you are not a true mechanic if you can't set the points on an old pickup truck .

Well, you're not.

uscra112
02-09-2021, 11:05 AM
I maintain the company's firarms and barrells that are used for testing. I'm not filing dovetails....

Which makes you an armorer, not a gunsmith.

A gunsmith can fabricate an entire gun from raw stock.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this misconception has been annoying me for over 50 years.

rbuck351
02-09-2021, 12:21 PM
Well, I am not a gunsmith but I am a gun tinkerer. I have rebarreled three rifles cutting chambers and threading/setting head space. Done lots of gun repair and doctored quite a few triggers. From what I have heard, to graduate from a gunsmith school in Germany, you had to make an entire gun from scratch.

My dad always claimed to be a wood butcher and a cold iron blacksmith and was pretty good at both.

Congrads on a good job, you can take this as far as you want.

GARD72977
02-09-2021, 04:03 PM
Which makes you an armorer, not a gunsmith.

A gunsmith can fabricate an entire gun from raw stock.

That makes you a manufacturer not a gun smith.

You are a little out of touch with the times. Modern gunsmiths specialize in something to make a living.

mrmachinist
02-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Congratulations feels good to be recognized for your skills.

I’m a wanna be that happens to be a machinist. I have a leg up on a lot of wanna bes but still don’t have the firearm knowledge to be classified as a gunsmith. I’ve been offered gigs at gun shops but they never want to pay enough. I would love to work on guns all day.

GARD72977
02-09-2021, 10:12 PM
I'm not offering to do work for anyone. I just wanted to share a big accomplishment made. It's a job I decided I wanted my first day with the company. I worked crazy hours trainning. I took a class that only allowed me 4 hrs sleep one night a week. I really pushed myself to the limit to make this happen. I have never missed a day or been late. It's very hard to get this job.

At the end of the day I'm a gunsmith for the most iconic ammunition manufacture in America. At least I have signed papers with gunsmith as the job title.

I'm very happy about that

Scrounge
02-09-2021, 10:33 PM
I'm not offering to do work for anyone. I just wanted to share a big accomplishment made. It's a job I decided I wanted my first day with the company. I worked crazy hours trainning. I took a class that only allowed me 4 hrs sleep one night a week. I really pushed myself to the limit to make this happen. I have never missed a day or been late. It's very hard to get this job.

At the end of the day I'm a gunsmith for the most iconic ammunition manufacture in America. At least I have signed papers with gunsmith as the job title.

And most of us are happy for you! I had not congratulated you yet, but Congratulations! A man who loves his work will never work a day in his life! Enjoy, prosper, and have fun!

Bill

M-Tecs
02-09-2021, 10:50 PM

The most iconic ammunition manufacture in America would be the Lake City Ammunition Plant in Independence, Missouri but since you list MS that probably would be the Olin/Winchester plant in Oxford. Either way congrats on the new position.

country gent
02-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Any time a person receives a promotion or new title. Or makes it to a journeyman in a trade its a big day. And should be acknowledged. Again way to go.

Dads bonus for completing his apprenticeship was a gerstner oak tool box.

Ed K
02-10-2021, 08:34 AM
After having congratulated the OP in post #36 I admit I tripped all over myself in an attempt to discuss the general purpose gunsmith. The OP stated a couple of posts above in #54 "Modern gunsmiths specialize in something to make a living" and to that I would wholeheartedly agree as to sounding like a good plan - that was my intent. For example just this past weekend I was present when a pot-metal pistol was brought in needing work. The smith essentially quoted an hour or so at the shop rate to which the customer said was ridiculous. Never mind losing the business, just having the brick and mortar overhead and entertaining such conversations is a time-waster and money-loser. This is 2021: the local appliance repair shop has a $75 rate and the local Chevy dealership charges a diagnostic fee of $150 before even providing a quote! There is no such place that will interface with the customer, provide a service and bill a total of $25. If the customer really knows so much (because they stayed at Holiday Inn Express and watched a YouTube video) then get your own equipment and do it yourself!

Sounds interesting working with proof loads, test barrels/firearms, etc. Good luck!

country gent
02-10-2021, 10:34 AM
I also would add the smith in question shut down on a project for a paying customer to discuss this job. Meaning he had to make up the time somewhere to maintain the due date on the previous project

Burnt Fingers
02-10-2021, 12:15 PM
In Europe, to be a Gunsmith, you MUST be able to build a firearm from scratch.

They have an actual certification program. It's not like it is here.

David2011
02-11-2021, 01:26 AM
I can and have built a sporting rifle on a Mauser action, thread both ends of barrels, can file a dovetail, have made some simple parts that I couldn’t find, polish and hot blue, fit every part on a 1911, do trigger and action jobs, drill and tap for scope mounts, pillar and glass bed, fit recoil pads and have taught community college classes in gunsmithing. I’ve had a part time gunsmithing business complete with a lathe and mill. There’s plenty that I haven’t or can’t do. Never wanted to regulate double barreled anything. I’m still reluctant to call myself a gunsmith but others do.

That’s why not everyone reacts the same to someone announcing they’re a gunsmith. I think you have a great gig, learning and being promoted within a professional organization. I once met a Smith that did testing at Lyman. He was interesting and a wealth of knowledge. Good luck in your new position!

GARD72977
02-12-2021, 08:53 AM
In honesty I tell my friends that this job is more cleaning than gunsmithing. Some of the work is very intresting. We get to see thing and work with guns very people get to handle.

The response are hilarious. You people that take yourself so serious should really lighten up!

Keep in mind if you like it or not "I'm a GUNSMITH"

Scrounge
02-12-2021, 10:58 AM
In Europe, to be a Gunsmith, you MUST be able to build a firearm from scratch.

They have an actual certification program. It's not like it is here.

Last I checked, most of us aren't in Europe for a reason, or several. I lived in Germany for four years. There are things I liked about the country, but I also learned several things that made me understand completely why my great grandfather left, and brought his wife and children here.
Bill

Burnt Fingers
02-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Last I checked, most of us aren't in Europe for a reason, or several. I lived in Germany for four years. There are things I liked about the country, but I also learned several things that made me understand completely why my great grandfather left, and brought his wife and children here.
Bill

No we are not. But there when someone says they are a gunsmith you have the knowledge that they really are one and have the training to be one.

Here any Tom, Dick, or Harry can call themselves a gunsmith and you have no way of knowing if they are or aren't. Someone that builds AR's and replaces parts on them is not what I would call a gunsmith, but many people do.

GARD72977
02-12-2021, 02:07 PM
No we are not. But there when someone says they are a gunsmith you have the knowledge that they really are one and have the training to be one.

Here any Tom, Dick, or Harry can call themselves a gunsmith and you have no way of knowing if they are or aren't. Someone that builds AR's and replaces parts on them is not what I would call a gunsmith, but many people do.

I dont know what kind of "Gunsmith" you are. I will say you do an outstanding job as "Gunsmith Police" .

I picture you a lot like Jackie Gleason in Smoky and the Bandit.....

Der Gebirgsjager
02-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Well, gentlemen, having myself gunsmithed for about 59 years to greater and lesser amounts, definitely lesser now days, I'd offer the following: Actually, one who can build a gun from scratch is a "Gunmaker". One who can successfully repair those guns is a "Gunsmith".

The term "gunsmith" is kind of nebulous A "smith" is one who works within a trade, and Webster says "generally metal." The second definition is "maker", so a gunsmith and a gunmaker are closely allied, but not necessarily exactly the same. There are no precise requirements or definitions for a gunsmith, rather like an automotive mechanic, so I believe that anyone who can nicely refinish a stock or mount a scope can subscribe to being a gunsmith. Anyone who can replace a carburetor or spark plugs can call themselves a "mechanic."

Really, it comes down to how much ability and knowledge one possesses. I can assure you that after you've been a gunsmith for 100 years you still won't know everything about the trade, or be able to perform all tasks. In some cases a lack of equipment/tools/knowledge, and sometimes lack of a specific ability. However, just because you can re-barrel and chamber a rifle, but are unable to re-blue the metal does not disqualify you from holding the title of "gunsmith". How long have guns been around...500 years? From matchlocks to Gyrojets and AR-15s, with new developments every year. You just can't know it all, and like Life in general, it is a continuous learning process.

So, in conclusion (which I know you're all grateful for...) the young man who started this thread is a gunsmith. He will continue to learn and grow in his interests throughout his career, and who knows where it will take him. Congratulations to you Sir, like any occupation some excel and some flounder. I wish you the best in a demanding occupation.

DG

mrmachinist
02-12-2021, 04:53 PM
I dont know what kind of "Gunsmith" you are. I will say you do an outstanding job as "Gunsmith Police" .

I picture you a lot like Jackie Gleason in Smoky and the Bandit.....

This is the best thing I’ve read today!

osage
02-12-2021, 05:30 PM

Congratulations on setting a goal and doing the work to earn the promotion 👍

uscra112
02-12-2021, 06:24 PM
In honesty I tell my friends that this job is more cleaning than gunsmithing. Some of the work is very intresting. We get to see thing and work with guns very people get to handle.

The response are hilarious. You people that take yourself so serious should really lighten up!

Keep in mind if you like it or not "I'm a GUNSMITH"

And despite my beard and other biological accoutrements, I'm Britney Spears, because I believe I am.

GARD72977
02-12-2021, 07:19 PM
And despite my beard and other biological accoutrements, I'm Britney Spears, because I believe I am.
The way you have been minding my business and hounding me, I think its fitting for you to identify as a woman......

rbuck351
02-12-2021, 11:28 PM
I'm with uscra112 on this. Replacing the parts on a car does not make you a mechanic. Being able to rebuild the carb, tranny rear end, starter, alternator etc. and diagnose problems does. Same with gunsmith, replacing parts on an AR does not make one a gunsmith. Being able to repair (not replace) any part that is not totally destroyed on a gun is close enough.

On either a car or a gun, some parts are not made by gunsmiths or mechanics. If you break a housing on an alternator or a carb you are not going to repair it. Likewise on a gun, some parts are cheaper to replace than repair. But swapping a barrel on a TC or an upper on an AR does not IMHO require or qualify one as a gunsmith.

A person can call himself anything he wants. Not knowing the OP or what he can or can't do leaves me not knowing whether he is or is not a gunsmith or a mechanic.

When I started my job as a correctional officer and finished my probational period of 6 months I took an 8hr course on the Rem 870 and when finished I was a new range officer which meant I was to qualify other officers yearly with the 870 and the AR 15. How I became an expert on the AR I don't know as the only time I had shot or handled an AR was when I did my qual with the AR. I had fired a total of about 50 rounds and all of a sudden I'm the one qualifying other officers. Sometimes a title doesn't mean much.

uscra112
02-13-2021, 12:16 AM
Here is where we segue into what the whole educational establishment is doing to our young people. They raise their prices while they lower the standards, because $$$$ in their pockets is the only objective. A dozen years ago I was interviewing freshly-minted engineers for my employer. I swear some of these kids, (from U of Mich at that) couldn't engineer their way to the men's room and back, but they had their degree, and expected starting salaries higher than mine.

</rant>

trails4u
02-13-2021, 12:29 AM
Good on you, GARD... This has been fun!