PDA

View Full Version : Any uses for 22 powder from duds?

Martin Luber
02-05-2021, 09:04 PM
I have some from Remington roulette, using the lead for other purposes.

I don't know the burn rate but believe it's faster than anything you can buy.

Maybe for blanks or pest loads with media or corn meal?

Thanks

Winger Ed.
02-05-2021, 09:30 PM
I'd just dump it.

For blanks & such, there's some recipes out there for bullseye and others.

Goofy
02-05-2021, 09:59 PM
It’s useful for reloading .22 ammo.

tankgunner59
02-05-2021, 10:11 PM
If I don't know for sure what powder it is I'd dump it or take it out back on our sidewalk and torch it.

brewer12345
02-06-2021, 01:11 AM
Wow, we have come to the dumpster of powder: reusing the fertilizer from Rem duds. I would fertilize the lawn with it Powder scarcity aside, it isn't worth thr risk of blowing up your gun or losing body parts.

abunaitoo
02-06-2021, 05:19 AM
Funny someone would bring this up.
We have a guy at the range.
Older, really good guy.
He wasn't into firearms, but somehow got hooked up with the antique firearms guys.
He loads with a Lee tap-tap in a few calibers.
Uses whatever bullets, primers, and powder he can scrounge up.
No load data. Just add some powder, seat the bullet, and fire.
He was using .22 dud powder the same way.
He'd pull the heads and use the lead to cast boolets.
Use the powder like any of his other loads.
He had an old beat-up Krag, but one of the guys gave him an Type 99 Arisaka to shoot instead.
Less chance of it blowing up.
His must have tools are a hammer, to sometimes open the bolt, and a metal rod, to knock out stuck cases.
He's never gotten hurt or blown up a rifle.
He's a really good guy, just having fun with good friends.

dverna
02-06-2021, 09:20 AM
Funny someone would bring this up.
We have a guy at the range.
Older, really good guy.
He wasn't into firearms, but somehow got hooked up with the antique firearms guys.
He loads with a Lee tap-tap in a few calibers.
Uses whatever bullets, primers, and powder he can scrounge up.
No load data. Just add some powder, seat the bullet, and fire.
He was using .22 dud powder the same way.
He'd pull the heads and use the lead to cast boolets.
Use the powder like any of his other loads.
He had an old beat-up Krag, but one of the guys gave him an Type 99 Arisaka to shoot instead.
Less chance of it blowing up.
His must have tools are a hammer, to sometimes open the bolt, and a metal rod, to knock out stuck cases.
He's never gotten hurt or blown up a rifle.
He's a really good guy, just having fun with good friends.

Too bad he does not have any real friends.

I do not care how "nice" a person is if they are stupid when it comes to stuff that can harm others.

MFGordon
02-06-2021, 08:35 PM
I originally thought the same thing but in every dud .22 I have taken apart there are little bits of green crystals that are the priming compound. That is not nitrocellulose gunpowder but a powerful fulminate. I wouldn't load anything with it.

john.k
02-06-2021, 11:39 PM
How many 22 would you have to take apart to blow even one gun...must about 1 grain of powder in a 22,couldnt even see the point of pulling the 37 gr bullet.......Ill never be that desperate for lead.

Hanzy4200
02-06-2021, 11:44 PM
I can't see how the powder from a .22 shell would be worth messing with. What's the charge? .5 gr? Go at it for 10 minutes and you might have enough to load a hot .32 acp!

Goofy
02-07-2021, 09:37 AM
Dunno about the HV ammo, but SV charges are ballpark .9 grains/shot. Had cause to salvage some from some Wolf ammo and reload it in the CF version.

https://i.imgur.com/eyAhNYY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/naJTnM5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Zfd0Yg1.jpg

Jack Stanley
02-07-2021, 09:59 AM
Goofy , it's nice to see someone who works outside the box . Nice group with salvaged powder , is that the "Ladybug" cartridge ?

Jack

Goofy
02-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Dunno what a “Ladybug cartridge “ is, but this one I call the .22 GTC. It’s a CF version of the .22 LR named after a departed friend. Been fiddling with it for several years and fully expect to be shooting bug holes in the near future. Traffer was kind enough to construct a swage die for the purpose of ironing out some irregularities in cast bullets. Last time I shot it with a sample it hovered in the 1/2” range for 5 shots at 50 yards with 4 groups. Squill are nervous...

Jack Stanley
02-07-2021, 07:06 PM
Good work lad , keep on with the mission ;-)

Jack

Bazoo
02-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Hey that's real neat, thanks for sharing. Impressive.

Wally44
02-08-2021, 06:45 AM
That's easier than reloading the rimfire cases lol

metricmonkeywrench
02-08-2021, 07:59 AM
Saw a couple videos where a feller used gun powder for wood burning art...

My collection of random pull powder, mostly range pick up dud 22's and a few 9mm is up to about half a small cream cheese container after about 10 years of collecting

Brassmonkey
02-08-2021, 08:28 AM
Some folks have a lot of time on their hands, I'm just glad it is put to non destructive use.

fcvan
02-08-2021, 02:35 PM
30 years ago, I looked into the whole 'centerfire 22 LR' as it has been done. Problem was losing home turned brass would be nerve wracking and costly. Now I just load down .223 for about 950 - 1000 FPS.

Back to the original thing, what to do with reclaimed powder. I spread it on the lawn, burning on the concrete left a mark. If I know what the powder is (my reloads) I re-use it. Range pick up gets pulled unless it is un-fired factory rounds I saw hit the ground and the shooter left it on the ground. If not, it gets pulled, powder on the lawn.

45-70 Chevroner
02-08-2021, 03:40 PM

I do not care how "nice" a person is if they are stupid when it comes to stuff that can harm others.

Dido. I would not want to be shooting next to him. Your right nice or not the guy should not be allowed on the range. If he is using a hammer to open the bolt that should be a clue to the range manager to kick him off the range.

Martin Luber
02-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Curiosity is part of the deal, no l am not foolish with unknowns and am disinclined to use it.

That cf LR is interesting, what distance there Goofy? At today's primer cost I wouldn't use a cf primer for that and in fact, the primer itself is a major part of the total charge. This is true in anything under 32 for pistol calibers. Match primers go into my 32 S&W long loads

I had a batch of duds to dispose of for a club. It was a large 2 gallon can of them. They shouldn't go in the trash as is hence the pull. I made a fixture so it's fast and easy. Heads go to my pure pot. Powder was the question. The green specs are lead styphnate priming ( fulmanates and chlorides have been out of use for a very long time) and it should be handled with care, it does pop when hit.

George Frost describes ammunition manufacturing in his NRA book . 22 powders after Black and the subsequent Lesmok are a specific lot to themselves. He mentions Hercules 950 but doesn't indicate further on it's characteristics relative to other fast powders.

bangerjim
02-08-2021, 04:23 PM
I always heard it said that 22's used black powder.

Still not worth messing with! Unknown powder, unknown burn rate, unknown load data, unknown ..................everything!

I just hope we are not down that dark path of reloading with unknown performance powders someone swept up off the bench or floor!

Let me know when they will be out shooting..........I will be MILES away!

lightman
02-08-2021, 07:28 PM
I save reclaimed powder from not only 22 rimfire that I pick up but centerfire as well. I keep it in a can and take it to Deer Camp. It makes a fun light show around the camp fire! And yes, that storage can is well marked!

Soundguy
02-08-2021, 07:33 PM
Ever seen videos from Khyber pass 'factories' dirt floor rooms with turn of last century equipment. Kids mixing powder on the floor with a stick and sifting with a piece of window screen.. The whole deal...banging primer dents out..etc. Makes ya wonder... Oh and that's just the ammo..next room over and the uncle is sand casting guns and using a file and polish wheel to fit parts... Metal is cast from whatever they find.

45-70 Chevroner
02-08-2021, 11:21 PM

Still not worth messing with! Unknown powder, unknown burn rate, unknown load data, unknown ..................everything!

I just hope we are not down that dark path of reloading with unknown performance powders someone swept up off the bench or floor!

When 22's first came about they used black powder but sense the advent of smokeless they use it now. The first 22's were all chambered for 22 shorts. If they still used black powder today 22's would have to be cleaned after every shooting session. Also 22's are not prone to leading.

Traffer
02-09-2021, 12:22 AM
I wish I could get my hands on that powder...
I would love to use it to load 22lr again.
I use HS-6. 22LR can have powder ranging from Unique, Herco, Accurate No. 2, Bullseye.
If you can tell me the weight of a charge, I can pretty much tell you what the burn rate will be. Most are very close to HS-6.
If it is close to HS-6 it will have just under 2gn of charge. If it is closer to 1gn it is a fast pistol powder like bullseye.

Goofy
02-09-2021, 01:15 PM
Curiosity is part of the deal, no l am not foolish with unknowns and am disinclined to use it.

That cf LR is interesting, what distance there Goofy? At today's primer cost I wouldn't use a cf primer for that and in fact, the primer itself is a major part of the total charge. This is true in anything under 32 for pistol calibers. Match primers go into my 32 S&W long loads

I had a batch of duds to dispose of for a club. It was a large 2 gallon can of them. They shouldn't go in the trash as is hence the pull. I made a fixture so it's fast and easy. Heads go to my pure pot. Powder was the question. The green specs are lead styphnate priming ( fulmanates and chlorides have been out of use for a very long time) and it should be handled with care, it does pop when hit.

George Frost describes ammunition manufacturing in his NRA book . 22 powders after Black and the subsequent Lesmok are a specific lot to themselves. He mentions Hercules 950 but doesn't indicate further on it's characteristics relative to other fast powders.

20 yds for that target. Have done better and worse, at 20 & 50 yds. Posted that pic because of the powder used. Half dozen groups shot recently at 50 have been around 1/2” +/- a wee bit. Velocities in the neighborhood of 1000-1050 FPS.

blackthorn
02-09-2021, 01:40 PM
I have been dumping any/all reclaimed powder into a small bottle (clearly marked) with the thought that at some point I would use it to fire-form rifle brass I make for my 22 HP. My thoughts are to start at 3 grains and work up. Since I dump any and all reclaimed powder in there, I know that each time I start to fire-form, I will need to start with the 3gr load. Thoughts?

whisler
02-09-2021, 08:27 PM
Don't know about other 22 LR lead but I can tell you that Eley is not pure lead. Tried to use some to make round balls for muzzleloader and they came out oversized and harder than pure. I have read that it is about 1% =/- Antimony,

jimb16
02-10-2021, 09:07 PM
I pull the bullets and melt them down to use for shot making. The powder i dump in a marked can and when there is enough to burn, I dump it in the garden and set it off from a safe distance with a smoldering coal. It goes up fast! The brass goes into a mesh basket to be tossed into a fire to set off the primers but not allow the brass to go flying. After that the brass gets thrown into the scrap brass bucket.

abunaitoo
02-12-2021, 04:20 AM

He's a nice old guy.
Came from Argentina.
Worked as a cook/mechanic on a fishing boat most of his life.
Came here and worked as a cook, until he retired.
Quiet guy, and he does have other friends, but most are old like him, and just don't do anything anymore.
He's still in good health, so likes to do stuff.
Not just sit at home.
I hope I'm still able to get around like him if I get that old.

M-Tecs
02-12-2021, 05:05 AM

I have read that 1931 was the last date 22 rimfires were manufactured with Blackpowder. Not sure if that is correct or not but it's been a very long time since they were made.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14461

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?167745-Black-Powder-22-s/page2

Goofy
02-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Typical factory .22 RF bullets measure 7-8 BHN. They are not pure lead.

44Blam
02-12-2021, 10:59 PM
Usually if I have a .22 round that doesn't fire, I cock the hammer back and try again. If not, I load it in again at a different angle.
In my Henry, I have never had a round fail to go bang after a couple tries.

perotter
02-13-2021, 06:15 AM
What Taffer says. Directly from Vihtavuori, 3N37 was developed for .22 rimfire. And that powder is about as close in burn rate to HS6 as one will get.

Martin Luber
02-15-2021, 09:01 PM
Don't know about other 22 LR lead but I can tell you that Eley is not pure lead. Tried to use some to make round balls for muzzleloader and they came out oversized and harder than pure. I have read that it is about 1% =/- Antimony,
Bert Brookes from Eley used to join us every year at Camp Perry for Pistol phase. He said they had two lines of 22 ammo, black, and white bullets. All ammo grades came from those two lines. White bullets had a 0.8% Antimony content (IIRC, it's in my journal) while black had 0.1

Martin Luber
02-15-2021, 09:03 PM
Sectional density on 22s is pretty low, that in itself would allow faster powders. I recall l measured std velocity shells that had 1.4 grains while HV had 1.9