PDA

View Full Version : S&w model 10

Jniedbalski
02-05-2021, 05:48 PM
How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64? I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way. I have two police trade in’s a model 10 and model 64. They shoot good but would really like adjustable sites on at least one pistole.

ddixie884
02-05-2021, 06:07 PM
I would seek a trade with another individual for a M-14 M-15 or a M-67 some folks prefer to carry a fixed sight K frame.

scattershot
02-05-2021, 06:17 PM
In addition to the cost of the sights, there’s some pretty precise machine work involved, and it ain’t cheap. For the same money, you could probably find a used revolver with the adjustable sights already on it. I don’t mean to discourage you, but I think that conversion would be cost prohibitive.

VariableRecall
02-05-2021, 06:26 PM
I wasn't looking to get adjustable sights for my own Model 10-5. I knew that line of revolvers wouldn't have them handy already.

Perhaps you can figure it out with a private buyer to trade one of your revolvers for a target sighted version?

TNsailorman
02-05-2021, 06:38 PM
All my revolvers at one time had adjustable sights pm them. For the last 25 to 30 years I have been slowly replacing the adjustable sight revolvers with their counter part that have fixed sights. I only have one revolver left that has adjustables and that is a Model 57. I much prefer fixed sights as I will not be shooting over 50 yards with anything but the .41 magnum. Everyone to their own preferences, james

onelight
02-05-2021, 07:19 PM
I would sell one and start shopping.

Petrol & Powder
02-05-2021, 08:06 PM
How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64? I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way. I have two police trade in’s a model 10 and model 64. They shoot good but would really like adjustable sites on at least one pistole.

I'll start with the comment from an old shooter, "Adjustable sights do not make your groups smaller, they simply allow you to move that group around on the target".

Adjustable sights allow you to bring the point of aim [P.O.A.] and point of impact [P.O.I.] together. They also allow you to compensate for varying loads (within limits). Adjustable sights DO NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOOTER.

I have witnessed skilled shooters do very good work with fixed sights. Adjustable sights are not a magic pill.

As for the question, "How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64?" - The answer is prohibitively expensive.

As for the statement (in which you answer your own question), "I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way." - Longer barrels allow for slightly longer sight radius and therefore make sighting errors slightly less critical. However, longer handgun barrels are not inherently more accurate beyond the advantage of a longer sight radius and maybe a little more velocity. Don't believe me? Put a 2" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest and a 4" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest - you might be surprised at how similar the groups are. I've won more than a few informal bets with a snubnose revolver. Short barreled revolvers are more difficult to master but the guns themselves are capable of fine accuracy.

Before you start selling guns, trading guns, seeking longer barrels and adjustable sights. I suggest you find a good load, and practice EXTENSIVELY with that one load in ONE gun. You may be surprised what that gun is capable of.

MajorDude
02-05-2021, 09:50 PM
In the current climate, I would think long and hard before unloading a decent model 10 or 64. Try to add rather than subtract from your armory! There are a lot of 15s and 67s in the world.

Texas by God
02-05-2021, 10:36 PM
Do a search for Wonder Sight for S&W. Your m10 needs to be an older one for it to fit- providing you find one.
My memory worked- yeehaw!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

samari46
02-06-2021, 02:25 AM
I've a model 10 I have had for about 25 years. Put a lot of rounds downrange. Since I used to live in NYC and all the police officers I saw all carried a model 10 with the heavy barrel. So eventually I bought one. Few years later picked up a model 15 with adjustable sights. Shot that also a bunch. That was followed by a model 14 with adjustable sights. But probably have more rounds with the model 10. Frank

Old School Big Bore
02-06-2021, 02:47 AM
i was thinking about the factory K or J sights, or the Wonder Sight, for my fixed-sight M1905/4, but have pretty much decided to leave it original. My GS said he'd prefer putting the K sight on it despite the undercut for the J-stud, rather than the simpler cut for the J type...I can't really agree with him. The wonder sight would be great, due to the little .32-20 being a 5-screw, but I'm not sure the factory half-moon front sight would be tall enough and the idea of the rear sight hanging on the side of the frame by one screw...yikes. So for now it's gonna stay a fixed-sight gun. I keep reading about people rechambering K-32s for .32-20 but haven't found a good candidate yet.
I'd keep both of those and shop for a decent 15/67/19/66.
Ed <><

shooting on a shoestring
02-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Used K-frames have always seemed like a huge bargain to me.
I’m another vote for keep yours as is except shoot it a lot!
Keep an eye out for a Model 14. It’ll have a 6” barrel and adjustable sights.

For grins check out the website for Collectors Firearms in Houston. They often have one or a few in stock....as well as lots of other really cool boolit launchers.

I also see a couple a year show up at pawnshops and some smaller gun shops I frequent. Usually priced to move bc most people want shorter barrels for carry.

35 Whelen
02-07-2021, 12:30 AM
I'll start with the comment from an old shooter, "Adjustable sights do not make your groups smaller, they simply allow you to move that group around on the target".

Adjustable sights allow you to bring the point of aim [P.O.A.] and point of impact [P.O.I.] together. They also allow you to compensate for varying loads (within limits). Adjustable sights DO NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOOTER.

I have witnessed skilled shooters do very good work with fixed sights. Adjustable sights are not a magic pill.

As for the question, "How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64?" - The answer is prohibitively expensive.

As for the statement (in which you answer your own question), "I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way." - Longer barrels allow for slightly longer sight radius and therefore make sighting errors slightly less critical. However, longer handgun barrels are not inherently more accurate beyond the advantage of a longer sight radius and maybe a little more velocity. Don't believe me? Put a 2" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest and a 4" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest - you might be surprised at how similar the groups are. I've won more than a few informal bets with a snubnose revolver. Short barreled revolvers are more difficult to master but the guns themselves are capable of fine accuracy.

Before you start selling guns, trading guns, seeking longer barrels and adjustable sights. I suggest you find a good load, and practice EXTENSIVELY with that one load in ONE gun. You may be surprised what that gun is capable of.

^^^^There's a lot of wisdom in that post^^^^

The only advantage adjustable sights sometimes have is they offer a better sight picture vs. fixed sights; a good example is Colt SA's. This is NOT the case with Model 10's. Their fixed sights are heavy and easy to see like adjustable sights.

If a revolver is properly made, everything is square, parallel and perpendicular, and its sights were designed properly, there should be no need for adjustment. I learned this years ago the hard way after whacking, filing and bending front sights. Granted, if a person is shooting a 148 gr. wadcutter at 750 fps, then switches to a +P load with a 170 gr. bullet, there's going to be some vertical difference in POI, but with a modicum of practice it's easy to make minor adjustments to ones point of aim. Besides, if you have a a revolver with adjustable sights, are you really going to have a screwdriver along and twiddle with the sights every time there's a change in the load?

Finally, a good revolver with a 4" or 5" barrel will give plenty accuracy even at extended distances. None of the groups below were shot from a bench, but imagine if they had been!

https://i.imgur.com/Mf8Voqul.jpg https://i.imgur.com/wM6MGgzl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ezHEam8l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EsehgjDl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LIUHYIYl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/L6T3FPel.jpg

I actually own a S&W Model 15 which is just a Model 10 with adjustable sights. After I got it, I centered the sights and haven't had to touch them since.

35W

Drm50
02-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Makes much more sense to buy or trade for gun with adjustable sights. I never keep fixed sight guns because I load. Model 10s do well with standard police 158gr loads, that’s what they are made for.

Thumbcocker
02-07-2021, 11:37 AM
My 2 Spanish police model 10's shoot about 3" high at 25 yards with 160 grain rnfp loads. With the Lee 125 rnfp (around 130 lubed)they shoot dead on sights at 25. I always wondered if the Spanish police specified a different load when they placed the order.

35 Whelen
02-07-2021, 11:54 AM
Give two different people the same revolver with the same load, especially a load with a little recoil to it, and your sure to have two different POI's. Everybody holds and shoots handguns a little different from each other

35W

Jniedbalski
02-07-2021, 12:29 PM
The buying a different pistole would be the way to go. I like my S&w model 10 and 64 to much to sell them. It’s not like iam shooting long range or a lot of different bullets. Thanks for the reply’s

FergusonTO35
02-07-2021, 06:11 PM
My 10-5 absolutely loves the Lee 358-158-RF under pretty much any charge.

Murphy
02-07-2021, 06:49 PM
I would go with a Wonder Sight, or have a reputable gunsmith cut a dovetail for the rear sight. Find 'The Load' for your Model 10, adjust the windage and file the front if needed. A much less expensive route.

Murphy

FergusonTO35
02-08-2021, 04:56 PM
By the time you have a good 'smith convert your model 10 to adjustable sights you will have spent as much or more than just buying an adjustable sight gun outright.

ddixie884
02-09-2021, 02:42 AM
I just looked on GB and there are a couple of fairly reasonably priced M-10s on there........

Petrol & Powder
02-09-2021, 05:56 AM
By the time you have a good 'smith convert your model 10 to adjustable sights you will have spent as much or more than just buying an adjustable sight gun outright.

/\ Yep, And, more than likely permanently altered a good Model 10 in a negative manner.

If you seek a K-frame chambered in 38 Special that's equipped with adjustable sights, there are plenty available.

Lloyd Smale
02-16-2021, 06:27 AM
Clark made there name putting full length ribs with fantastic sights on model 10s for the ppc guys. I had a clark gun. Dont have a clue if they still do or what it cost. They were THE revolver for ppc shooting.

JoeJames
02-16-2021, 08:49 AM
I used to avoid fixed sight revolvers, but a few years ago I got a few fixed sight 32 S&W Hand Ejectors, and when I worked up loads with 98 grain swc's that closely mimicked 1930's factory loads, they all were perfectly regulated and shot to point of aim. Same situation with a 38 Special S&W Victory model I own. As far as putting adjustable sights on a Model 10; to me that would be comparable to putting buckhorn sights on an M1 Garand. I have seen that one, and it pert near destroyed the value.

Dale53
02-16-2021, 11:35 AM
The best solution of the O.P. is to simply find a Smith Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece). Back in the day, Model 15's were the pick of progressive police departments. Masterpiece design, fully adjustable sights (with excellent sight picture), and Smith made millions of them. Up until this madness started, they were very reasonably priced due to the current desire for the "plastic fantastics" out there.

I picked up one in excellent condition a couple of years ago, at my local gun club's "members table", for a VERY low price. It was a gem! 4" barrel, .38 Special chambering, and easily pass the "Perfect Packing Pistol" category. I put it through it's paces with my home cast bullets. My favorite load for it is a Full Charge Wadcutter. I cast and load the H&G #50 w/c and it is very pleasant to shoot, and a perfect load for a "walk in the hills".

That would be my pick!

FWIW
Dale53

JoeJames
02-16-2021, 07:41 PM
The best solution of the O.P. is to simply find a Smith Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece). Back in the day, Model 15's were the pick of progressive police departments. Masterpiece design, fully adjustable sights (with excellent sight picture), and Smith made millions of them. Up until this madness started, they were very reasonably priced due to the current desire for the "plastic fantastics" out there.

I picked up one in excellent condition a couple of years ago, at my local gun club's "members table", for a VERY low price. It was a gem! 4" barrel, .38 Special chambering, and easily pass the "Perfect Packing Pistol" category. I put it through it's paces with my home cast bullets. My favorite load for it is a Full Charge Wadcutter. I cast and load the H&G #50 w/c and it is very pleasant to shoot, and a perfect load for a "walk in the hills".

That would be my pick!

FWIW
Dale53I agree on the Model 15, and I have one, but in my opinion the Model 67 is even better. I got it a couple of years after I got the 15, and I shoot it a whole lot more. But they are both great revolvers.

Dale53
02-17-2021, 04:01 PM
JJ;
If both the Model 15 and the Model. 67 were the same price, I agree with you. When you are talking “real world use” I prefer stainless, too. However, in the past twenty years, at least, the Model 15 has been priced considerably less than it’s “real value” because of the tens of thousands of police trade-ins.

FWIW
Dale53

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2021, 07:25 AM

That would be my pick!

FWIW
Dale53

couldnt have said it better. Model 10s have come and gone but my two 15s will never leave.

lotech
02-18-2021, 09:48 AM
I have a Model 10 and a Model 64 (pretty much the same as a 10 but stainless) and only shoot a 160 grain SWC at around factory velocity, about 800 -850 fps. These guns generally shoot very close to point of aim at 25 yds. The elevation, and sometime windage, can be adjusted with powder and/or powder charge changes.

Larry Gibson
02-18-2021, 09:59 AM
Had a M10 converted to a PPC revolver by Power. They ranked right up there with the Clark's. Back in the early '70s the PD I worked for retired the 5" heavy barreled M15s for 4" m15s. They allowed us to buy our service revolver for the trade in price (around $36 if I recall correctly) and I bought mine. Haven't regretted that purchase at all. I have literally fired thousands of standard and target 38 SPL loads through it and a few +P. It is still as "tight" as the day it was issued to me.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2021, 10:07 AM
Had a M10 converted to a PPC revolver by Power. They ranked right up there with the Clark's. Back in the early '70s the PD I worked for retired the 5" heavy barreled M15s for 4" m15s. They allowed us to buy our service revolver for the trade in price (around $36 if I recall correctly) and I bought mine. Haven't regretted that purchase at all. I have literally fired thousands of standard and target 38 SPL loads through it and a few +P. It is still as "tight" as the day it was issued to me.

I screwed up years ago. The prisons all switched to glocks and our local dealer had the 15s for a 150 bucks and 10s and 64s for a 125. I bought a 64 and 4 15s. Gave away the 64 and two of the 15s. I should have bought everyone he had at those prices. I dont learn because just last year the prison went from 40s to 9s and they had brand new glock 22s with 4 mags for 400 bucks and i was so stupid i only bought one. Two days after i got it in hand I realized how dumb i was and called to get a couple more and they were all gone.

Catshooter
02-19-2021, 05:10 AM
Man Larry, that is one sweet looking roller. I do like a five inch Smith, they just seem right somehow.

Cat

txbirdman
02-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Bought a 5 screw at a pawn shop that use to handle a lot of guns. Gave $150 for it as I recall some time in the late ‘90’s. Well used but tight. Ended up selling it, I’d had a model 10-6 since the early 70’s that I prefer. The 10 shoots to the sights using 158 gr bullets and 5 gr of Unique. And the sights can’t get unadjusted.

02-19-2021, 09:50 AM
The Clark Custom Guns web site indicates they still do a lot of revolver work.

Lloyd Smale
02-19-2021, 09:53 AM
The Clark Custom Guns web site indicates they still do a lot of revolver work.

looks like my old gun but mine was a square but and had there target grips on it.

rintinglen
02-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Mine was a Bill Davis gun with a round barrel, not slab sided, square butt, model 10-5, Aristocrat Rib, 7 3/4 pound DA trigger. I put more rounds through that gun than any other I have owned.

Drm50
02-19-2021, 03:23 PM
I don’t normally keep fixed sight guns but if you happen into one that shoots to point of aim for your load, you got a jewel. A few years back I wanted a S&W J frame .32 with adj sights. In fact actually wanted .32 Kit Gun with S&W sights milled in. Cost of work made me satisfied with m34.
I get a lot of 4” m10s on trades. I did get a lot of m15 & m19 in 4” but the great panic has about wiped them out. I do have one m10 4” marked Royal Hong Kong Police with ring in the butt and one snub nose M10 that I’m keeping.