PDA

View Full Version : Puppy might have swallowed a 38 158 gr. boolit.....I found the other one

afish4570
02-05-2021, 12:22 AM
and think he had one in his mouth that I couldn't get out before he swallowed it. Must have dropped two slugs while casting and missed it when I cleaned up. I'll check poop in snow path I have shoveled in the 18 in. of snow that fell on Tues. Anyone have any suggestions. I'll post if it passes in a day or so. afish4570

Bazoo
02-05-2021, 12:27 AM
If it's still in the stomach, peroxide will make them puke. Administer via a turkey baster, if you don't use enough they wont puke.

hoodat
02-05-2021, 12:28 AM
This too shall pass. jd

afish4570
02-05-2021, 12:36 AM
This too shall pass. jd

Secret must be kept from "SECRETARY OF WAR" afish4570

Winger Ed.
02-05-2021, 01:20 AM
Gives a new meaning to 'hot load'.

barrabruce
02-05-2021, 01:35 AM
If your puppy appears to be a "bit off "then I would suggest going to the vet for an x-ray.
My dog has had two stones removed , passed another and threw up one.
They will only show signs and need attention and surgery at 2am Sunday morning on a long week-end.
Don’t ask how I know.

Thought she swallowed a boolit too but after having conniptions about it I found it.phew

Good luck.

barrabruce
02-05-2021, 01:42 AM
Hey next time keep your cool and offer them a treat.
They will spit them out for it.
If you go gun ho they will run off in play and swallow it just to spite you, no matter what horrible things you say you are going to do them.

hoodat
02-05-2021, 01:53 AM
I forgot to mention that we used the metal detector recently to determine if my pup Millie had swallowed my wife's air pods. She came up clean and transponder free, and the air pods were found at a later time and place. Metal detector would work great for a bullet. jd

NSB
02-05-2021, 01:55 AM
If he gets gas don’t stand behind him.

coloraydo
02-05-2021, 02:57 AM

That was funny right there.[smilie=l:

gun toting monkeyboy
02-05-2021, 03:52 AM
Here is the thing. Metallic lead isn't all that reactive. Especially not in the short term. This too will likely pass. And your dog is unlikely to suffer and debilitating problems from this. Don't make it a habit. But the odds are good nothing is going to happen.

-Mb

charlie b
02-05-2021, 10:21 AM
If it were me...I'd be checking to make sure it does come out. If not I'd probably take them to the vet for exam. Yeah, costs money, but, I'd worry too much if I didn't know for sure.

Our Sheepdog 'eats' rocks. Sometimes swallows them. Mostly smaller ones. Last xray showed there were 4 or 5 in the stomach. Probably still there as they looked to big to pass and I'd know if anything that big was in the 'output'.

Alstep
02-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Many years ago, our puppy was licking my wife's face and wound up swallowing her earring. She'd be out in the yard following him around every time he pooped, checking it with a stick. Determined as she was, she never did get her earring back, but was funny watching her go through dog poop every day.

dondiego
02-05-2021, 12:08 PM
That's what happens when you use bacon grease for boolit lube!

mdi
02-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Personally I think it'll just wind up in a pile in the yard. I'm not a vet, but dogs have a "short and quick" digestive system and high acid stomach juices. Probably find a black chunk of lead in a pile of poop...

Hmmm, bacon grease in my boolit lube. Ain't tried that yet...

Bwana John
02-05-2021, 12:49 PM
If it's still in the stomach, peroxide will make them puke. Administer via a turkey baster, if you don't use enough they wont puke.

Hydrogen peroxide can harm a dog if it gets into their lungs.

Soak a piece of bread in hydrogen peroxide and let them eat it, instead of forcing it down their throat and accidentally getting it into their lungs.

They do not instantly barf, it takes a couple of minutes.

onelight
02-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Make him eat hominy boiled in milk , always made me throw up when I was a pup.

Traffer
02-05-2021, 01:12 PM
Won't hurt him a bit...When I was a kid I used to chew on bullets from the berm at the range. My dad went ballistic (no pun intended) So we called the doctor to see if it was harmful...
"Chewing on them is really bad, especially for kids...But swallowing them is not bad because they only give up a very little of the lead in the stomach. Not enough to hurt....But NO MORE chewing on them" Got my lead levels checked and was fine.

Traffer
02-05-2021, 01:15 PM

And don't let him retrieve any birds in deep water...sink like a fishing sinker....

1hole
02-05-2021, 01:31 PM
This too shall pass. jd

Well said. Lead in its solid state is harmless in the digestive system, it WILL pass.

beagle
02-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Not a situation to be often repeated but he'll probably pass it. Metel detector's a good idea too to be sure that's what has happened but I visualize no lasting affects. Check for leading the next few days. Knowing pups, I can see that happening./beagle

MOC031
02-06-2021, 01:47 PM
This is not going to be a problem for your fur-kid, as others have already mentioned. We have had many numerous similar occasions over decades of puppies, ours and other bird dog pups we homed for breeders to socialize and begin their training for assorted reasons before they went to their eventual permanent homes.

One lesson to take from this is to try and have a vet plan in place long before you need a vet. Whether it is simply already having the phone number for your chosen vet as well as a secondary vet number for serious events that require attention at any time day or night if your primary vet is not available 24/7/365. And a fur-kid jump bag in the truck/house in case harm befalls your pup, and some prior reading on emergency first aid for pups, should one unfortunately need it.

The incidents of "Oh no!" have greatly diminished in frequency as we have gotten almost as smart as the puppies over the years, and now automatically anticipate what the next bit of devilry they might get into might be. Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, in our experience, are the world champions at finding ways to get themselves and you into trouble. It's like it's part of the breed standard.

And this little girl that we finally had to say goodbye to last year was the world champion of mischief makers of all time. Not quite the best gun dog ever to grace our home with their presence, but definitely the smartest and most imaginative. Kieren, nicknamed by my brother The Little Beer Dog.

waksupi
02-06-2021, 02:49 PM
Just don't let him use the inside toilet. Might crack the porcelain when it comes out!

WheelgunConvert
02-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Do you think you got all those pellets out of the small game that you cleaned yourself? I saw an X-ray of a kid a long time ago that was brought in for suspected appendicitis. His appendix was full...really full of small shot. Really unusual, but the organ had accumulated the ingested shot over many years of having eaten wild game. As memory serves, it was a full recovery post appendectomy and no significant systemic lead level noted.

Then there’s the dentist stories about teeth broken on steel shot...

JWFilips
02-06-2021, 04:39 PM
If you are worried about the Lead content ..don't be. It is salts of lead that are dangerous! ( Oxides, acetates etc) Same with metallic mercury! It is not liquid mercury that is dangerous it is the Salts!
Give him a teaspoon of Vaseline! He will poop it out

brass410
02-06-2021, 05:21 PM
not my idea of a powder coat techneque but if you can load it I'll bet you get comments at the range about the smoke trail

Mk42gunner
02-06-2021, 08:22 PM
It is amazing what dogs can eat and pass with zero troubles. I had a mostly Jack Russell Terrier that just loved eating the hard solo plastic bowls after cleaning them.

It is kind of disturbing the first time or two seeing a four or five inch by up to ½" strip of hard plastic in the biologic land mines.

It evidently never hurt him, and he never learned not to do it; unlike the monkey with the que ball.

Robert

farmbif
02-06-2021, 08:37 PM
give pup a few extra bowls of kibble and a couple cans of pedigree choice cuts and it will get pooped out in no time flat.

oley55
02-06-2021, 10:16 PM
It must be about time to send out the Doggie Do-Do collection squad.

john.k
02-06-2021, 10:29 PM
The little mutt that lived in the workshop ate a sparkplug once.......evidence found in a dump he left in middle of the floor......he would regularly eat prawn and crab shells from the bin......yeah ,we were auto mechanics and could afford the best.

Mal Paso
02-06-2021, 11:16 PM
Did you slug the bore? With a good fit there should be no leading.

cas
02-07-2021, 12:01 AM
I don't care how bad the ammo shortage is...

Traffer
02-07-2021, 02:43 AM

So cute...thanks.

Bazoo
02-07-2021, 07:38 AM
Did you slug the bore? With a good fit there should be no leading.

Good one. Thanks.

jonp
02-07-2021, 07:53 AM
I forgot to mention that we used the metal detector recently to determine if my pup Millie had swallowed my wife's air pods. She came up clean and transponder free, and the air pods were found at a later time and place. Metal detector would work great for a bullet. jd

That is a "Who, Me"? face if I have ever seen one

robg
02-07-2021, 09:58 AM
had a golden retriever pup who chewed blankets .the next day it looked like knitting.

onelight
02-07-2021, 10:00 AM

What is that green stuff the little angels are standing on ?
Seems like I saw something like that a long time ago.

bigdog454
02-07-2021, 02:42 PM
Keep him away from your powder

BrutalAB
02-08-2021, 01:09 AM
You are supposed to use a #5 bowl during the coating process. Not a 5# dog.

Eta : stop shaking now, you are not gonna get the coverage you want.

Bazoo
02-08-2021, 02:26 AM
Have a dog that ate a whole bag of Reese's minis, wrappers and all. Gave it the scatters. We still wonder how that shredded aluminum foil felt coming out at high speed.

Winger Ed.
02-08-2021, 04:14 AM
We still wonder how that shredded aluminum foil felt coming out at high speed.

Can't be any worse than a peach seed.

As kids, a buddy had a collie that loved peaches.
When one would fall out of their back yard tree, that dog would just about catch it in the air.

The beast never made the connection of eating a peach, and the exit of that sharp seed.

mattw
02-08-2021, 10:43 AM
We have had a couple of Newfoundlands over the years, wonderful dogs. Our first one was running around the yard with one of the neighbors golf balls in his mouth, all of a sudden he stopped and got a funny look on his face... ball was gone! Two days later the ball reappeared, felt sorry for the dog... saw the look of pain on his face as the ball recycled! He never picked up a golf ball again.

pcolapaddler
02-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Our worst dietary indiscretion for a dog was shrimp and crab shells in the trash.

I figure that dinner cost about $200 per pound.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

oley55
02-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Unknown to me my sneaky Weimer got in the trash and swallowed two 3" long pieces of nicely buttered corn cob. Although he ate and drank normally, three days after we had eaten corn on the cob, he puked up the cobs.

He also loves beacon grease soaked paper towels, but they are easily identified in the yard. Especially after a good rain the white paper towels stand out.