PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Lyman 450

7br
02-04-2021, 10:46 PM
I bought my sizer about 30 years ago at an auction. I noticed that when I size the RCBS 24-95, the front driving is smeared on one side. The ram has a lot play in it and when I set the bullet in the sizing die, it isn't centered. I can hold the base over with my thumb, but it doesn't eliminate all of the issue. Any ideas?276963276964276965

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bazoo
02-04-2021, 11:23 PM
On the picture you show of the bullets, the one without GC looks like the base is cockeyed. If the bases are not square, it'll cause the bullets to lean to one side. If the top punch has some slop on the bullet nose it'll do that exact thing. Another thing is, if you seat the GC via whacking it on something, and it goes off center, it will guide the bullet that way when sized. Using a GC seating tool is the way to go, solved my problems. If the center rod "I" is too long, it won't start centered, mine are about 1/8" shorter than the "H" part.

Winger Ed.
02-04-2021, 11:45 PM
Any chance your top punch isn't in there straight?
That would put a sideways pressure on the boolit when running it down into the die.

If you loosen the top punch set screw, does it wiggle much like the shaft diameter is too small?
If it feels OK, Ya might could loosen it, put some pressure on it with a boolit inside the die to let it center itself, then tighten it.

billyb
02-04-2021, 11:52 PM
It is worn. There is a lot of play in the ram. Check out Buckshot method of drilling and taping the collar for adjusting screws.

dimaprok
02-05-2021, 03:40 AM
On the picture you show of the bullets, the one without GC looks like the base is cockeyed. If the bases are not square, it'll cause the bullets to lean to one side. If the top punch has some slop on the bullet nose it'll do that exact thing. Another thing is, if you seat the GC via whacking it on something, and it goes off center, it will guide the bullet that way when sized. Using a GC seating tool is the way to go, solved my problems. If the center rod "I" is too long, it won't start centered, mine are about 1/8" shorter than the "H" part.

That could be very well be the lens distorting the image it happens even on expensive lenses, I did professional photography for 10 years and don't expect straight lines to be straight near the edge. Having said that I will add that my brand new RCBS lubrisizer did exactly same. Also the same bullet never had that issue with Lee push through dies regarding of what base looked like. It also developed some play as well in the ram. I was really disappointed and eventually ended up replacing the lubrisizer and new one was much better but not perfect. This is why I don't like lubrisizer, I feel like if the bullet is slightly distorted on one side it will never be as accurate but I haven't tested. Of course if there is a play in the ram that's obvious problem. I always wondered why none of these companies could not implement linear ball bearing or at bare minimum oil impregnated bronze bushing. I saw my lubrisizer develop a play in ram in about a year and I can't say that I sized more than couple thousand bullets.

Bazoo
02-05-2021, 04:13 AM
My 450 has some slop in it, but it sizes symmetrically as long as I pull the handle centered. If I pulled it left or right it would size off center. The nose punch fitting right, and the gas check being seated with the GC tool, and the pin having enough recess, keeps the ram aligned.

fenderman57
02-05-2021, 08:01 AM
Try sizing halfway, lifting the boolit back up, rotating 180 degrees, than finishing sizing. I've had that problem with long 45 cal. boolits. That worked for me.

Gewehr-Guy
02-05-2021, 08:55 AM
Just my opinion, but both 450's that I've tried had lots of play in the ram, although both were bought used. I have several old 45s, and they are as tight as new, much more bearing surface where they slide on the lube chamber. No more 450s for me.

243winxb
02-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Bad die. Bullets crooked, to hot when dropped from the mold, too soon. Nose punch does not fit bullet.

The 450 needs rebuild. Just a few guesses.

7br
02-05-2021, 11:12 AM
The base of the bullet is square. I am not sure why it looks wonky in the picture. I bought the proper nose punch and that helped. I will see if I can find Buckshot"s post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mk42gunner
02-05-2021, 09:40 PM
It may be time for another new to you used 450 or LAM.

Robert

WALLNUTT
02-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Skip the fitted nose punch. Try a flat point nose punch, short stroke the bullet so it barely enters the die, back off just a little and then finish sizing. This allows the bullet to center in the die and is not guided by the nose punch. The old 45 is superior to the 450 or 4500.