PDA

View Full Version : Lee APP case collator feeding bullets

mjwcaster
02-04-2021, 08:32 PM
I finally used my APP to size some bullets a few weeks ago, worked pretty good. I have the case collator on it and had to try it with bullets.
Didn’t work, bullets hang up in the small case hole of the feed system (black plastic part with 2 different size holes).
I had thoughts of modifying that part of I could buy another.
Today I had 600+ 452-230TC to size and looked at it again.
Took a piece of tape to seal the unused hole and backed it up with a wad of paper towel to test my theory.
It worked.
But I still was feeding the tubes by hand, placing bullets nose done.
So I had to just try the collator, bullets dropped right into the tubes, better than cases do. But they feed both up/down.
Not an issue with the flat nose TC i was using.

So pour 100 bullets in the collator and just start pulling the handle. Had a few issues where the nose of the bullet in the feed slide would catch on the base of the next bullet from the tube.
And my weak tape job broke when I forgot to partially rotate the tube before filling on my last batch.
But I still sized 500 bullets in less than 10 minutes with a big grin on my face.

I doubt I am the first person to think of this, but I haven’t kept up with all the APP upgrade threads.

With a few improvements it will tide me over until I get a powered collator rigged up.

Not perfect, but the APP provides huge improvements in my least favorite parts of reloading, case prep and sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handloader109
02-04-2021, 09:18 PM
I bought an APP from Midsouth last week, got it today. And after redrilling a wood plate I used with a lee breechlock I played with feeding some bullets. I'm still waiting on the bullet sizer setup. got a bunch of the new dies though. It feeds them pretty good actually. surprised me. I didnt buy the collector, didnt plan on case feeding or loading on this, just bullet sizing.

BTW, I have spent $210 on the press, upgrade handle, sizer dies, and an extra bottle ( didn't need now have three) the bullet sizer holder, and a deprime pin I didn't need that either it seems. I sold on ebay the cheapest breechlock press, and 4 old bullet sizers for $226 less shipping which was $28 so press has so far cost me less than $20 over my old press that I used to hand size....

There are several 3d printed bullet holders for this press. I printed several so far, but I haven't tried any of them. They eliminate the fingers, that part is removed. I think they will work better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk