PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

dverna
02-03-2021, 01:40 PM
I saw on another thread where someone suggested having a mousefart load to bag a grouse while deer hunting. I have read about that numerous times as well.

I never understood the logic of it. I try to be quite when hunting deer. Cannot imagine shooting a bird for the pot while deer hunting.

What do you guys do? Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

NSB
02-03-2021, 01:46 PM
I’ve shot lots of them while deer hunting........with a bow. I’ll pass while gun hunting, too much noise. Even light loads will alert any deer in the area. Just depends on how serious you are about deer hunting....I’m pretty serious about it. I also get a lot of deer.

Texas by God
02-03-2021, 02:10 PM
If they taste as good as quail or pheasant- then yes. Deer around here aren't that alarmed by gunfire. Twigs snapping or mechanical noises, yes. Occasionally I have to cease fire on my home range due to deer visitors. And I have taken rabbit, turkey, deer and hog from the same spot in a Cottonwood Grove over a 3 hour period before. That was a good spot to be on a good day, apparently.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Hossfly
02-03-2021, 02:23 PM
No but if we had grouse probably would go grouse hunting. Deer hunting will not shoot any thing except deer, coyotes, bob cat. Killed a large cold water Moccasin once with my hunting knife just so I wouldn’t shoot and scare deer off.

Ateam
02-03-2021, 02:23 PM
I dont think we can here in Michigan, small game is closed during firearms season. If this is purely hypothetical, then yes, on the walk out after hunting I would shoot something for the pot.

toallmy
02-03-2021, 02:25 PM
I generally don't shoot other critters when I'm deer hunting , but if I was serous about putting something in the kettle I would .

bimus
02-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Deer or Elk season I will shoot a Grouse

Dimner
02-03-2021, 02:58 PM
If I'm at a spot on my uncles land that is known for grouse, I use a savage 24 30wcf/20ga. I'd take a grouse in a heartbeat. I have taken plenty of deer, never a grouse. But I have eaten grouse, and let me tell you..... delicious! Absolutely wonderful eating.

This is grouse up in Northern Michigan like the OP probably hunts.

I also use a savage 1899 in 303 savage for deer. If I had a grouse in sight and standing still I'd try to quietly swap out my deer load for my loads with a 77gr cast bullet over 4.3grs of unique. Dead accuracy upto 75 yards.

chuckbuster
02-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Never pass on a grouse if season open

adcoch1
02-03-2021, 03:40 PM
If I am stalking up on a deer I won't shoot anything else, but hiking in or glassing or just wandering you bet id shoot one! Grouse are tasty, and deer really aren't disturbed by the sound of gunfire unless it's really close(and I even wonder about that sometimes), so get a bird along the way.

JM7.7x58
02-03-2021, 03:56 PM
Yes! Often where we hunt in National Forest or DNR land there are miles and miles of gravel roads in and out of the area. It may take 45 minutes to an hour to get where you plan to hunt. All that gravel road is huntable for grouse. The forest grouse will collect gravel at the edge of the road. You can’t legally shoot in the road. But you can shoot them just off of the road. Or, they can be seen up in trees.

You can only use a high powered centerfire cartridge .24” or larger when you are in possession of a deer or elk tag. But shotgun and .22 are legal the rest of the grouse season.

I loaded up some .308 win with lee 100 grainers over bullseye for my buddy to grouse hunt with. I have similar loads for my 30-06.

Grouse tastes good!

JM

Larry Gibson
02-03-2021, 04:14 PM
Deer or Elk season I will shoot a Grouse

Me too

405grain
02-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Won't just shoot it, I will cook it and eat it WHILE deer hunting! :drinks:

Duckiller
02-03-2021, 05:42 PM
I have also shot rabbits while deer hunting.

memtb
02-03-2021, 06:40 PM
I’ve taken more while elk hunting.....but, yes on deer hunting as well. There have been quite a few meals prepared with grouse that were headshot with my .375 AI! memtb

MT Gianni
02-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Done so plenty of times. Cooked some for lunch as well.

atr
02-03-2021, 06:52 PM
interesting question
I run into a lot of grouse out where I deer hunt. Never had the urge to shoot one when I was after bigger game.

M-Tecs
02-03-2021, 06:52 PM
I grew up in cattle country. Coyotes are shot period. If you pass on killing them you will lose you access to the ranchers land. I have killed about a 250 deer and i have yet to take a bobcat. Bobcat is my number one on my trophy list currently.

As to grouse it depends. If on the trail of a trophy buck no but short of that yes. As stated the sound of light loads effects deer surprisingly little.

dverna
02-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Very interesting. I cannot legally do it here, and would not do it anyway.

Like others have commented, we will shoot a coyote.

namsag
02-03-2021, 08:02 PM
I grew up in cattle country. Coyotes are shot period. If you pass on killing them you will lose you access to the ranchers land.

I got read the riot act for letting a coyote walk! The outfitter running the hunts on the land told me in no uncertain terms, this is a cattle ranch, the ranch owner expects you to kill every coyote you see, it's part of hunting here, do NOT let a coyote walk again! I got religion after that. Another time I was out there and got two one morning. When we came in for lunch the rancher joined us for lunch and thanked me for shooting them.

I would probably not shoot a bird while trying for a deer, but would not hesitate to shoot a hog or a coyote. Gunshots do not generally alrm the deer as much moving or stepping on twigs or brushing against a bush.

Beerd
02-03-2021, 08:21 PM
I've seen a guy chase 'em down on foot and grab them by the neck.
not exactly quiet but it saves on ammo.

white eagle
02-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

I would not but it reminds me of my brother in law
We were elk hunting in Montana and we just came back to the truck and saw a grouse on the side of the two track
I said to my bil bet you can't hit that grouse he took aim and fired his 338 wm and hit that grouse and exploded it
there was nothing left not a darn thing

fastdadio
02-03-2021, 08:55 PM
I dont think we can here in Michigan, small game is closed during firearms season. If this is purely hypothetical, then yes, on the walk out after hunting I would shoot something for the pot.

Not only is small game season not closed during firearm deer season, Small game season is open in Mi. 365 days a year with many species open year around with no bag limits.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

Martin Luber
02-03-2021, 08:59 PM
We have so few grouse now that I won't shoot them during grouse season. Used to be prolific. That said, l love those harley birds. Walk em up and flush em if you can. Them flush em again.

fastdadio
02-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Very interesting. I cannot legally do it here, and would not do it anyway.

Like others have commented, we will shoot a coyote.

Ruff grouse is open from Dec 1 to Jan 1 state wide. This makes it legal to shoot them during the Dec muzzle loading season.

Mk42gunner
02-03-2021, 09:11 PM
No grouse around here, but I have shot squirrels with my deer rifle. Usually only the ones that sit about ten yards away and raise he double toothpicks at you quietly sitting there.

They are usually close enough that I used the point of the lower duplex for a sight instead of the crosshair. Head shots only, a high power rifle will destroy any edible parts on body shots and you need to have a safe backstop; no blue sky behind the critter.

Robert

Tripplebeards
02-03-2021, 09:21 PM
Last one I shot I cut its head off like a gilitine with an expandable broadhead. Shot a doe a few minutes later...good day!

memtb
02-03-2021, 09:22 PM
I had a friend do that several times with his .338 WM.....he kept forgetting to hold high on close shots with a scope. 210 Noslers @ 3000 don’t leave much camp meat! memtb

fastdadio
02-03-2021, 09:22 PM
I agree with others that deer aren't really scared off by the sound of gun fire. If it's common in their area, they get used to it. We have a herd that will graze the grass at our trap range while folks shoot right over the top of them.
Here in Mi. grouse is open during the Dec muzzle loading season. I have taken many grouse while deer hunting, and a few rabbits too. I built a CVA Kentucky pistol kit just for that purpose. I had the barrel bored from .50 to .545 smooth. I load it with 28ga. shot cups with #6 over 28 grs. fff. Works a charm out to about 20 yds.

ButchC
02-03-2021, 09:41 PM
We don't have many grouse left around here, but we do have a season. Given the scarcity of opportunity and my desire to bag one in-state, I rather the bird than the deer.

GhostHawk
02-03-2021, 09:48 PM
Don't think the deer don't know the difference between a high powered rifle round, which can easily be heard for miles.

And a low powered grouse/rabbit load with a light bullet and maybe 3 grains of Red Dot.
Quiet as a .22lr, can often shoot exactly to the sights, just shorter range.

I have shot many grouse while deer hunting. But if I was stalking I probably would not.

But we did a lot of driving chunks of woods, brush with posters at the far end. A little noise was no problem.

If I was tree stand hunting I probably wouldn't unless I was pretty sure there was no deer within a mile.

All depends on how you hunt. No wrong answer here IMO. Only choices and differences.

richhodg66
02-03-2021, 10:05 PM
We don't have grouse here. I generally hunt from tree stands or ground blinds, and usually don't shoot anything while I'm out. I did kill a coyote during muzzle loader season, young, dumb one decided to commit suicide and walked out in the open in front of a bored guy with a rifle. Left it lie while I reloaded the rifle. Later that evening, had a fawn come in and sniff the carcass.

I don't think it would spook deer that badly, but I still likely wouldn't if I wanted to get a deer. Coyotes will be shot if seen and I have anything that shoots. Missed one with the cross bow this past season, darn it. Hopefully didn't educate him too much and may get him another day with the 12 gauge.

Tim357
02-03-2021, 10:25 PM
When I was a wee lad, I 30-30'd a grouse whilst deer hunting. While my dad was glad i got the grouse, he was none too happy with my shot placement...

Gtrubicon
02-03-2021, 10:50 PM
I’ve shot lots of mountain chickens while deer hunting, it’s usually a precursor to a buck

Ateam
02-03-2021, 11:39 PM
Not only is small game season not closed during firearm deer season, Small game season is open in Mi. 365 days a year with many species open year around with no bag limits.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

I am not sure I understand. Rabbit, grouse, and squirrel are not open 356 and are not open during rifle season.

swheeler
02-04-2021, 12:29 AM
I would and I have, good camp meat.

cwtebay
02-04-2021, 12:38 AM
Absolutely, I believe that's what these are made for (in modern times at least). 35wcf in this case - many a grouse and bunny have met the fire with these in my family.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/f6d055986d9e56240975903f4d803ddc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
02-04-2021, 12:48 AM
Absolutely, I believe that's what these are made for (in modern times at least). 35wcf in this case - many a grouse and bunny have met the fire with these in my family.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/f6d055986d9e56240975903f4d803ddc.jpg

Doesn't look like it has primer and what the slot cut in the side for?

cwtebay
02-04-2021, 12:52 AM
Doesn't look like it has primer and what the slot cut in the side for?There are actually 3 slots - they hold a "sub caliber cartridge"(380 acp in this case) and there is a plunger which is struck by the firing pin to fire the cartridge. It's a Marble's cartridge adapter.

Dekota56
02-04-2021, 12:56 AM
If I am deer hunting... that is what I hunt..I set and wait for the shot.. the coyotes took out most of the game birds in my area, when I am not hunting deer. I hunt coyotes.

cwtebay
02-04-2021, 12:56 AM
Photos added for clarification. (This is a later version for a 25-35).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/9c6c60d23a2b1e9e2247c67d8ad89900.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/75b12575ea547b10ea0fc81816c44f96.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/ddfee20d2d51a8afdfdd595100056034.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210204/46c7ae4413b9be93dd8da50c7df7ace8.jpg

rbuck351
02-04-2021, 01:02 AM
Deer are thick here, grouse are not. So yes, I carry a Stevens tip up with a 22 short for just that purpose. It weighs all of ten ounces loaded and is quite accurate.
When bow hunting, there is no issue as there is no noise.

M-Tecs
02-04-2021, 01:04 AM
There are actually 3 slots - they hold a "sub caliber cartridge"(380 acp in this case) and there is a plunger which is struck by the firing pin to fire the cartridge. It's a Marble's cartridge adapter.

I was not aware of these. Had to look them up. Thanks for sharing the photo's

A lot of that old stuff is very cool.

Is your 35wcf in a 1895?

Thanks

megasupermagnum
02-04-2021, 01:04 AM
We don't get grouse where I deer hunt. Instead, we shoot coyote, and yes, I shoot every one. There is so much shooting all year, gunshots are the LAST thing a deer cares about. Unless deer are closer than 50 yards, they are not likely to spook. Even if a hidden one is inside of 50 yards, often they stare at you for a few seconds. Every year for as long as I can remember, someone in our party has seen a second deer after shooting one. Big bucks could be a different category. My two biggest bucks were all alone. My third biggest buck came bounding through not two minutes after I had shot a doe, during muzzleloader season no less.

cwtebay
02-04-2021, 01:26 AM
I was not aware of these. Had to look them up. Thanks for sharing the photo's

A lot of that old stuff is very cool.

Is your 35wcf in a 1895?

ThanksIt absolutely is. My wife, kids and I all have one for timber elk hunting.
I sort of developed an obsession with these and the Winchester variety. We use them pretty often for fun (and small game), believe that I have them all - save for the 405 WCF-41 Colt. I would really enjoy having one of those some day.

augercreek
02-04-2021, 07:17 AM
To me grouse hunting is the Holy Grail of hunting so I would not shoot one. As far as gun shots spooking the deer here it does not. I hunt on my own 40, on the neighboring 40 to the North this guy will shoot 50-100 rounds just before sunset on week ends hopping to scare the deer.Doesn't work, I've shot many a deer anyway.

Geezer in NH
02-04-2021, 11:51 AM
Yes and legal to in my state. That is why I carry a small 22 pistol, CCI cb's or I screw the Gemtek onto the front. What noise?

missionary5155
02-04-2021, 12:12 PM
We always "take" what is provided.
But I am a recurve hunter so noise, movement and changing over ammo selection is never an issue. Slice and dice works on everything.

444ttd
02-04-2021, 01:50 PM
here in PA, you are not allowed to shoot any small game in rifle season. but i shot grouse and ringneck during archery season when i was hunting deer. deer flintlock season , i assume that you could shot grouse, but i don't know. in WV i don't know. i always hunted deer.

gumbo333
02-04-2021, 02:18 PM
No grouse here either. But the sound of shots might wake the deer up a bit, get them moving. Could be a plus.

long_arm
02-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Not a chance I will blow a deer hunt to whack a grouse. Blacktails are hard enough to chase already without scaring them off!

Daekar
02-04-2021, 04:20 PM
I would absolutely take a shot at other game while looking for deer. I have repeatedly had to stop shooting at my target gongs because deer literally wandered into the line of fire within 50 yards of me, I'm pretty sure a mouse-fart load isn't going to drive them off.

Harter66
02-04-2021, 07:30 PM
In the west we always took a shotgun it wasn't uncommon to have sage hen and blue/roughed grouse seasons overlap deer season and chucker ........well they have a phrase , "it's only hunting the first time , then it's revenge" .

Typically we would run into them mid day after the morning hunt .

long_arm
02-04-2021, 11:53 PM
"It's only hunting the first time, then it's revenge."

I've used that line re chukar.

cwtebay
02-05-2021, 12:00 AM
You know, I posted that picture of our cartridge adapter out of a knee jerk response. Yes, we use them with frequency! But my middle son actually packs a sling shot for the same, and he is deadly. I also respect the.man that uses his bow for the same.
However, I have given each of our family hunting group 10 rounds of ammo for the adapter, there's a Lee Loader with primers / powder / boolits for 500 in the cabin - can't say there's much of a dent in reloading supplies in the past 10.years.of doing this.

memtb
02-05-2021, 10:43 AM
"It's only hunting the first time, then it's revenge."

I've used that line re chukar.

The first time I heard that line, was when hunting Chukars with a friend, in the near vertical cliffs/ridges right behind my house! A very accurate depiction of Chukar hunting.....I don’t “need” revenge badly enough to hunt them there again! :grin: memtb

waksupi
02-05-2021, 01:25 PM
I would absolutely take a shot at other game while looking for deer. I have repeatedly had to stop shooting at my target gongs because deer literally wandered into the line of fire within 50 yards of me, I'm pretty sure a mouse-fart load isn't going to drive them off.

Same here. One day we were launching clay pigeons at a deer, trying to get it off the range.

quilbilly
02-05-2021, 02:27 PM
My rule for "targets of opportunity" to fill the dinner pot during deer season is not to shoot within a 1/4 mile of where I intend to hunt deer and always mid-day when deer aren't moving very much. Of course, if you are in a popular hunting area for deer, you should consider if you are molesting somebody else's hunt (apologies to the movie Jeremiah Johnson).

Kylongrifle32
02-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Shoot a grouse and you eat a meal. Shoot a deer and you eat several meals. Seriously if I was in trophy buck mode I would pass on a grouse. But then I don't live where every meal is a blessing.
Several years back I hunted on a piece of property where the land owner had 24 crop depravation tags. I had a friend how was active with a boys home and we partnered with a processor to do all are deer for the home for $20 each. I have set in one spot and taken up to 6 does in 3 hours with out moving. And had bucks walk thru the area with out being alarmed.

Fast Asleep
02-05-2021, 04:25 PM
I have taken many grouse while deer and elk hunting, but not with my rifle. I carried a tiny 25 ACP pistol in my shirt pocket upon which I had soldered a set of adjustable sights to allow close aiming. The pistol was loaded with ammo containing a flush-seated 25 caliber air rifle pellet propelled only by primer force. The gun was pretty much 100% on the typical less than than 25 foot shot distance between the grouse head and my hand with very little noise.

atr
02-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Its is open range cattle country where I am and I don't shoot coyotes..period!
they keep the rats and mice population under control.

memtb
02-05-2021, 10:05 PM
atr, that’s birds of prey, foxes, and badgers are for. Non of the animals I listed kill deer or antelope......but coyotes darn sure do! memtb

cwtebay
02-05-2021, 11:05 PM
ATR can't say I've ever hunted any ranches (including my own) that don't want the coyotes killed! They're always on the short list of targets of opportunity.

dk17hmr
02-05-2021, 11:33 PM
I shot a grouse this year with my 32acp keltec that I keep in my the pocket of my bingo harness. I like grouse meat. If I don't shoot them I at least throw rocks at them sometimes it works.

cwtebay
02-05-2021, 11:57 PM
I'll be frank, I love me some bird meat!!! I've killed them with rifles and shotguns and pistols and bows and slingshots and rocks. I even made some "snow skippers" that were described in an old trapper's book. I am quite certain that I have spooked elk when getting the birds, but frankly I don't care. I'm pretty successful with big game, and am no slouch with the dinner time game either.
Whichever way it goes, we're eating something that we were hunting for.

M-Tecs
02-06-2021, 04:12 AM
Its is open range cattle country where I am and I don't shoot coyotes..period!
they keep the rats and mice population under control.

A good friend of mine has about 400 head of cattle. During calving time he brings them into a calving pasture. He has thermal video surveillance on it. In a normal year he looses between $20,000 and $30,000 to coyote predation and no he is not reimbursed for expenses for his loses. Coyotes also take a lot of deer and game birds. I have yet to meet a rancher that would be happy the you wouldn't shoot coyotes.

Lots of mice in the midwest but I have never seen a rat outside of in town or at a dump ground.

https://crosscut.com/2015/02/coyotes-everywhere-vashon-islands-experience

centershot
02-06-2021, 10:46 AM
Absolutely not. When I'm deer hunting, I'm deer hunting. I'm being as quiet as I can possibly be.

Pioneer2
02-06-2021, 03:42 PM
Unless using a .22 lr with a CB longs or pellet pistol .........no grouse shooting while big game hunting.

rking22
02-06-2021, 04:50 PM
In a heartbeat, but rather hunt them with a shotgun. I don't hunt horns, I hunt good eating deer so worrying about spooking one is not important when there is tasty supper in sight.

brass410
02-06-2021, 05:16 PM
I've shot lots of grouse whilst persueing other game,often shoot a limit of grouse while moose hunting as well as fall bear hunting, often shoot a timber wolf while deer hunting . They're not as noise sensitive as most would believe in my opinion, maybe because there is a lot of work going on in the bush here perhaps.

BJK
02-06-2021, 06:58 PM
<snip> They're not as noise sensitive as most would believe in my opinion, <snip>

We know what a shot sounds like, but I'm convinced that deer haven't a clue what the noise means. Maybe where they're heavily hunted they can figure it out. Otherwise it's thunder. I have a range on my land and if shooting ever bothered them I never noticed.

I'd shoot it if I was certain of a head shot.

Sam Casey
02-06-2021, 07:21 PM
Absolutely! Always carry a Smith .22 pocket gun. Accurate, not too loud and has provided a lot of small game for the grill. Prefer grouse to venison in any event. Would not shoot if I knew others deer hunters were close.

M-Tecs
02-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Even deer that are not accustomed to the sound of gun fire are not alarmed by it unless it is close. The sound of humans walking in the woods alarms them much more. I've hunted a lot of coyotes through the years. It's not uncommon too be watching deer while calling. Unless they are close normally they jerk their head towards the shot and stare for a little while and go back to what they were doing. I've had deer less than two hundred yards not spoked by multiple .243 shots.

One bow hunting technique I use when a lot if you have long fields or grass lands with a wooded stream running through them is to post one person at least a section away (sections are a long long) and have one other person slowly and silently Zigzag through the woods toward the person on stand. The deer will basically graze away for the walker. Then will kept 300 or 400 yards ahead of the walker. They will take a few steps and stop and listen. Makes for ideal bow shots.

Jim22
02-06-2021, 08:34 PM
The grouse I have eaten didn't turn me on much. Maybe because it was either spruce grouse or ptarmigan. If I was going to shoot something for the pot I'd rather it be a mammal like a squirrel or rabbit. Maybe a cat. They are very good. I have eaten porcupine but it's a PITA because of the fat. I expect groundhog, etc. would be as well. I don't see any reason to not shoot for the pot if the opportunity presents itself. Someone above mentioned using an S&W .22. That's OK but I have put my faith in an S&W .32. They hit harder, and just as quiet with light loads, and are easily reloadable. Mine is a 4" in .32 H&R mag. but I have some light loads for it that are, I think, quieter than a .22 LR. Keep the velocity below Mach 1.

FLINTNFIRE
02-07-2021, 10:52 AM
Grouse cooked over a open fire fond memories , yes I shoot them when hunting deer .

flintlocke
02-07-2021, 11:28 AM
The attack capabilities of a tender young grouse are underestimated by novice hunters. Who knows how many people are maimed or killed each year? So, I do what I have to do when in a tight spot, safety first.

waksupi
02-07-2021, 12:26 PM
The attack capabilities of a tender young grouse are underestimated by novice hunters. Who knows how many people are maimed or killed each year? So, I do what I have to do when in a tight spot, safety first.

A couple years ago, a grouse was hanging around one of our shooting ranges, It would come out and attack the tires of passing vehicles, and would also come up to a person and peck at their foot. The grouse would have a "What are you doing here?" expression.

bimus
02-07-2021, 05:35 PM
I have not hunted deer or elk for years because of Grouse .

Out of state license less then $100 in Colorado
No worries of meat going bad because of warm weather
season is 2 1/2 month
limit is 3 Grouse a day 6 Grouse in possession
short drive if I want to go for the day
daily shooting and easy to pack
Really best when doing backpacking trip fishing and hunting

BrutalAB
02-07-2021, 08:24 PM
Answered yes because i hunt for meat.

Wally44
02-08-2021, 06:35 AM
In pa we can't hunt small game while deer hunting otherwise I would

kbstenberg
02-08-2021, 08:53 AM
I am with Brutal AB. This year in 3 full days of sitting in my box blind i had 15 grouse walk by my stand from 5 to 35 yds away. Not 1 deer was spotted in that time. The forth day came along, i told the wife i was going grouse hunting for the rest of deer season (3 days) Do you think i saw a single grouse in that time. NOT 1. But i did get a deer.

Jedman
02-08-2021, 09:41 AM
20 years ago the area I hunt mostly for deer used to have a decent amount of grouse and I would hunt them with a shotgun but slowly they declined in numbers and I haven’t seen one in 10 years.
Originally I thought it was because the turkey population exploded and they took over the habitat the grouse needed but now the turkey have also nearly disappeared also. Beside coyote there have been a few bobcat sightings and I seen one that was hit on the highway not 1/4 mile from where I hunt.
It seems the game populations keep changing.

Jedman

james23
02-08-2021, 10:58 AM
This is what many guys carry while hunting . Hammond game getter.
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html

Wolfer
02-08-2021, 04:29 PM
I have shot many grouse while elk hunting with whatever pistol I was carrying at the time. The lee 452-255-RF from my 45 colt or my cut down webly will anchor them solidly and you can eat right up to the hole.

Pioneer2
02-08-2021, 08:12 PM
This is what many guys carry while hunting . Hammond game getter.
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html

Mine is in .270 win miserable/impossible to load and inaccurate with green or brown Hilti gun blanks. His former partner had a better design where the case was two piece steel that screwed apart.JMO

James Wisner
02-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Have shot LOTS of Grouse over the years, both Deer and Elk hunting.

Most times with 44 Spl round ball loads, as to noise, many times Dad and I were side hilling as we were hunting, and normally only 100 yds apart. We never heard the other shoot the grouse with those very mild round ball loads.

J Wisner

clearwater
02-09-2021, 06:52 PM
Grouse and Pigs while deer hunting.

I have taken a grouse with a cast load, then jumped deer 200 yards away that weren't bothered by the gunfire. As poor a success rate for deer where I hunt, grouse is often the only wild meat in the freezer. The little Ruffed and Franklin grouse stay put and are easy to shoot, the big Dusky Blues fly before you can get in range most of the time.

308W with 115 grain cast, IMR 4749 14 grains--- point blank at 40 yards while deer load is 2" high at 100, very quiet
25-06 100 grain Sierra Match J and IMR 4759 (don't remember the charge) same results
30-06 115 grain cast 12 grains unique
One I am just now trying is 375 Ruger with a round ball and 5 grains of Bullseye. Saw that load here.

When I had a 357 maximum Handi Rifle, it would shoot 38 special target loads out of that 22 inch barrel that sounded like a silenced 22 in the movies.

My buddy (in California where the little blacktail were plentiful and the pigs numerous and serious problem for vineyard owners) taught me to shoot a deer in the morning, clean it, hang the deer nearby to cool and then go back up the hill and eat lunch while watching the gut pile. Then when porky comes drifting over to the offal, you get a pig too.

Mmacro
02-24-2021, 09:03 PM
In Alaska grouse and ptarmigans are everywhere. I had a great bird dog (German Wire-haired Pointer) I adopted from the shelter. He would flush them and those dumb birds would fly about 10 yards up into a tree and sit there an look at him. Got tired producing ground grouse sausage with my 12-ga. I just started carrying a scoped Ruger MkIII and shooting sticks instead of the shotgun so I could head-shot them.
The locals used to carry rocks in their pockets to hit them with. They are that dumb.
To get to the answer to your question... if deer and grouse season overlapped I would probably carry a nice pellet pistol (if legal) so you could quietly collect a little feather to go with your fur.

jim147
02-25-2021, 01:43 PM
If we had any around here. I would. I have plenty of deer here. I had five in the driveway this morning. I had to stop so one of them wouldn't hit me.

I watched a guy unload on a deer with his 30-30. Reload and did it again. They just stood there until he started cussing. The deer went west I was about 200 yards east. I walked down once he cooled off to ask what happened. The elevator was missing out of his rear site.

-D-
02-26-2021, 12:59 PM
You betcha, that's what my beeman P1 is for.

Beaverhunter2
03-01-2021, 12:00 AM
Always carried a blunt while bow hunting for deer and took a bunch with it (squirrels, too). Unfortunately, grouse season is closed during the Michigan Firearm Deer Season. Never thought to try with my muzzleloader. Maybe I could aim high and try to take it with the sabot.....:wink:

reddhawkk
03-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Grouse are very tasty and used to be more prevalent where I hunted, so yes, I would shoot grouse while deer hunting.

ruger1980
03-05-2021, 09:21 PM
Always carried a few shotshells when I hunted with Shotgun

NEKVT
03-05-2021, 09:22 PM
Where I hunt there are a lot more ruffed grouse than deer. I often hunt with a Krag sporter which is the perfect big/small game combo with the magazine cut off that let's you switch out to a cast round ball load (3.5 gr 700X has worked well in many 30 cal cartridges) so I always carry three in a front pocket. I read on here somewhere that round balls won't hit to same point of aim as a big game load which isn't true if open or a receiver sights are used. Both my Krag and Win 94 32 Special will hit to the same point of aim with both loads out to as far as you are likely to be shooting small game but it is the cut off that makes the Krag the most practical.

44 flattop
03-05-2021, 09:26 PM
Unless I've spotted a buck and am busy in the middle of a stalk, I always shoot grouse. Always.

Years ago a buddy and I were busy sighting in a rifle for him after changing scopes midseason. After we finished and were sitting, drinking coffee, and BSing, two bucks stood about fifty yards from where we shot from and fed away nonchalantly. Neither were bothered by our gunfire. We had to laugh when both of us were surprised enough neither of us thought about shooting!

I can't remember all the times I killed a buck when I already had a dead grouse or two with me.

krems
03-05-2021, 10:04 PM
I’d definitely shoot a grouse while deer hunting. Elk hunting maybe—Depending on how far id have to pack it back to camp. And hell no if I was hunting in Grizzly country. I don’t need to be smelling like a grouse wandering around.

Cary Gunn
03-06-2021, 12:12 AM
Sure, if bow hunting.

I always carry a blunt in the bow quiver, and happily use it to replace my broad-head when a squirrel or cottontail happens along.

There're no grouse where I hunt, but that doesn't mean I ignore other tasty small game. Some of my more memorable bowhunts have ended with a pan of small game soaking in salt water in the kitchen sink, and a much more substantial, though no more tasty, hunk of game hanging from a gambrel in the garage.

And, although I wouldn't mention it to the game warden, one of my finest outdoor meals involved a very fat fox squirrel that -- having been "barked" from the limb of an oak by a 12-gauge rifled slug -- eventually found himself doused with salt and pepper and slathered in onions inside a foil packet over the camp coals.

Ya see, where I live, it's acceptable to pot small game during archery/deer season, but not during the firearms/deer go-round.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

owen58
03-06-2021, 12:18 AM
I’ve shot lots of them while deer hunting........with a bow. I’ll pass while gun hunting, too much noise. Even light loads will alert any deer in the area. Just depends on how serious you are about deer hunting....I’m pretty serious about it. I also get a lot of deer.

Took the words right out of my mouth...err, fingers. I haven't taken a gun to the deer stand in years.

alexandrobjorn
01-24-2022, 07:57 PM
I don't like being distracted by other goals. Sure, it's nice to bring home not just one deer but some partridge, but it's unnecessary fiddling with the gun. In addition, you can scare away your primary target in this way. If I had a bow or a crossbow, I wouldn't mind trying to split my attention. A friend of mine takes not only a rifle to deer hunting but also a bow, which he bought last year at https://bowaddicted.com. It allows him to shoot the bird quite silently. The deer hardly have time to get alarmed. I'm thinking about it but haven't tried it yet. Suddenly then, I'll compromise my attention and concentration.

veeman
01-25-2022, 12:20 AM
No, #1, never seen a grouse in Illinois, #2 not with a 12gauge slug, #3, I'm deer hunting.

Smoke4320
01-25-2022, 08:59 AM
I would carry a Crossman pcp pistol airgun to pick off he grouse

Rapier
01-25-2022, 09:37 AM
Snowshoe rabbits and grouse are traditional in most north woods camps, the option is bring them in or keep your mouth shut about even seeing them. Most folks carry a pistol, where it is legal to do so, for such an event. Head shots only, unless you want to be laughed out of camp.

brass410
01-25-2022, 11:50 AM
I've shot lots of grouse while hunting only to have a moose or deer stand up from their beds to see whats going on, they did not seem too nervous until I started shooting their direction. But I know a lot of guy's who have had track soup because they passed up a grouse dinner. Theres a lot of heavy equipment in the bush here so I dont think the animals are quite so leary of loud noises.

dverna
01-25-2022, 12:07 PM
It has been an interesting thread. Some good adult discussion on both sides of the question.

Like mentioned, it is not legal to do during firearms season where I hunt but I was curious about the practice. One thing for sure, the grouse we have here are so dumb I do not know how they manage to survive. If it was legal to shoot them, there is plenty of time to load a low powered load to take a bird.

We had one bird we named Gertrude. She would come up on the front porch when we were sipping adult beverages. I could have killed her with a bat. One time I was loading cases of shells in the trunk to go to a trap shoot and she landed on the bumper and sat there until I got a broom to shoo her away. She kept coming back to "harass" me and then followed me out of the drive. She got in the way of the Jeep and got crushed a few weeks later. Dumbest critter I have ever seen.

onceabull
01-25-2022, 12:16 PM
I've shot my share with rifle and pistol while big game hunting.BUT,more than once while in the Selway/bitteroot backcountry I've taken dinner with stick ,or simple hand capture...

quilbilly
01-25-2022, 02:44 PM
Depends on the time of day. Not until 2 hours after sunrise or an hour before sunset. I carry my 10" barrel Contender 45/410 just for that.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-25-2022, 03:29 PM
Never have but saw quite a few. I have shot them while land surveying though with a .22 pistol.

missionary5155
01-26-2022, 06:03 AM
Why sure I would.
My recurve makes very little noise and if there is no corn cruncher within the 50 yards of visibility in the bottoms we hunt then I will gladly take home whatever God kindly gives us.
Deer hunting I ave stuck shafts through groundhogs, fox, beaver and numerous other critters and never bothered one bean eater.

reddhawkk
01-26-2022, 01:28 PM
I have and I would!

MT Gianni
01-26-2022, 03:46 PM
This is an interesting perspective. It seems that for many of you shooting a deer is an infrequent event, rather than 3 or 4 a year thing. There is a lot of focus on deer if you are hunting deer. In Montana, where most deer, elk and bear seasons run concurrently, we would not shoot a deer when hunting elk. The reason being that it is too small to mess with and yet large enough to disrupt an elk hunt. From what I see here, many couldn't decide if they were hunting deer and saw and elk what to do as they were deer hunting. It all appears to be a mindset based on local laws and conditions.

dverna
01-26-2022, 03:59 PM
This is an interesting perspective. It seems that for many of you shooting a deer is an infrequent event, rather than 3 or 4 a year thing. There is a lot of focus on deer if you are hunting deer. In Montana, where most deer, elk and bear seasons run concurrently, we would not shoot a deer when hunting elk. The reason being that it is too small to mess with and yet large enough to disrupt an elk hunt. From what I see here, many couldn't decide if they were hunting deer and saw and elk what to do as they were deer hunting. It all appears to be a mindset based on local laws and conditions.

Shooting a meat deer is not a big deal where I hunt. I will not even shoot a doe with a fawn as there is no need to and I am not dependent on game to eat. But if disturbing a 10 or 12 pt occurs, that risk is not worth it.

Even if I could shoot a grouse, it seems a poor trade off if doing so spoils the deer hunt. The “camp meat” reason does not apply at our camp as we have five hunters. A couple of grouse are not going to be more than a snack, and I would not be invited back for screwing up the hunt.

You are right about local conditions. Grouse are not rare here, so it would look pretty foolish carrying one back to camp when deer are the reason we are there.

NEKVT
01-26-2022, 04:07 PM
Where I hunt in the NE part of VT the grouse are no pushover. Most flush well before you know they are there. The area is known for it's grouse hunting and the beautiful fall scenery that goes with it early on. I have taken four while deer hunting with the Krag set up pictured on the previous page which at that point in the season is after the foliage has dropped. I haven't gone out specifically for grouse with the round ball load because I'd rather take a bow for that but would probably take the 32 Special as with that rifle it would have to be a single shot affair anyway. I used to load 0 buck (.320) with 3.5gr 700x but when those got hard to find I went to a Lee .319 RB mold with a hardened alloy to increase the ball diameter a thousand or so with the same results as the 0 buck.

The last grouse taken during deer season was an adventure in itself. On the way out at dusk I flushed one that flew toward the recently set sun and landed high up in a bare hardwood tree clearly silhouetted against the brightest part of the sky. I knew the balls were on out to about 35yds but it looked more like 50 so I held on the neck and squeezed one off. The bird nosedived straight down. When l finally worked over to the tree there were feathers blowing around on the snow but no bird. Circling the area no bird or tracks were found. Dumbfounded and over a mile from the car I walked out in the dark envisioning that shot over and over.

We decided to hunt the same area in the morning so I walked in directly to that spot and began looking again. Circled further around and nothing just feathers that blew around during the night. So I went back to where the bird dove down and looking around found a moss covered rock sticking above the snow with a cavity under it and in there was my bird. The ball nicked the neck just where I aimed and it died where it landed. It was actually about 35 yds but the 3/4 grown bird from that year looked further away. I only hunt grouse during deer season with the Krag because of the cut off feature allowing use of the low powered RB load.

missionary5155
01-26-2022, 04:53 PM
I should have added our East ILL-nois bow season is 3 months. I could easily "slice and dice 10 during that time but usually only zip 4 as that will fill the needs of those who need and/or want it. We normally return to Peru in November so our needs are not much.

smkummer
01-26-2022, 08:43 PM
I remember a buddy of mine doing that with his 6mm Remington. It was in a tree and it blew 1/2 of the breast/bird away.

Geezer in NH
01-30-2022, 01:13 AM
Dude shoot them in the head, screw the neck!

Astocks2622
02-08-2022, 12:57 PM
Absolutely. I've taken many grouse while hunting moose and black bear here in Alaska, both with firearms and archery. My primary rifle is a Mauser rebarreled to 35 Whelen. 250gr Partition at 2650 for moose, or a 158gr cast swc over 5 grains of green dot for grouse.
I finally bit the bullet and am waiting for ATF approval for a 22 suppressor to go on my Buckmark pistol, specifically for the purpose of taking grouse while bear hunting. Black bear here tend to turn and run at the sound of a gunshot. Moose, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Charlie Horse
02-26-2022, 02:09 PM
I have shot deer within minutes of people walking by me in the woods so yes I would shoot a grouse if we had them around here.

Charlie Horse
02-26-2022, 02:17 PM
Where I hunt in the NE part of VT the grouse are no pushover. Most flush well before you know they are there. The area is known for it's grouse hunting and the beautiful fall scenery that goes with it early on. I have taken four while deer hunting with the Krag set up pictured on the previous page which at that point in the season is after the foliage has dropped. I haven't gone out specifically for grouse with the round ball load because I'd rather take a bow for that but would probably take the 32 Special as with that rifle it would have to be a single shot affair anyway. I used to load 0 buck (.320) with 3.5gr 700x but when those got hard to find I went to a Lee .319 RB mold with a hardened alloy to increase the ball diameter a thousand or so with the same results as the 0 buck.

The last grouse taken during deer season was an adventure in itself. On the way out at dusk I flushed one that flew toward the recently set sun and landed high up in a bare hardwood tree clearly silhouetted against the brightest part of the sky. I knew the balls were on out to about 35yds but it looked more like 50 so I held on the neck and squeezed one off. The bird nosedived straight down. When l finally worked over to the tree there were feathers blowing around on the snow but no bird. Circling the area no bird or tracks were found. Dumbfounded and over a mile from the car I walked out in the dark envisioning that shot over and over.

We decided to hunt the same area in the morning so I walked in directly to that spot and began looking again. Circled further around and nothing just feathers that blew around during the night. So I went back to where the bird dove down and looking around found a moss covered rock sticking above the snow with a cavity under it and in there was my bird. The ball nicked the neck just where I aimed and it died where it landed. It was actually about 35 yds but the 3/4 grown bird from that year looked further away. I only hunt grouse during deer season with the Krag because of the cut off feature allowing use of the low powered RB load.

I once shot a quail and watched it fall. I walked to the spot it fell but didn't see it. I dropped my hat to mark the spot then started searching in ever widening circles. Bet I spent a good half hour searching for that bird but couldn't find it. So I gave up.

When I reached down to pick up my hat and there it was.:)

bandanaman
03-11-2022, 05:19 AM
When we are on a meat hunt that's what we hunt morning and evening mostly. We are there to have fun also, we still make the youngsters wait till after 10:00 before they can shoot chickens. If our "spidey senses" tell us there's deer or elk close by all bets are off on the grouse. Drives the kids nuts to pass on a big Blue Grouse but they get it ......We'll do a trail walk afternoons for grouse and small game or to go fishing. Even then there is always a centerfire close by for deer and protection.

tuckerdog
03-17-2022, 08:14 PM
At one time yes. Now however there are not enough around in this area for me to feel right about killing one.

Texas by God
03-18-2022, 08:46 PM
Another thought from a grouseless state.
Fifteen minutes ago I fired 12 rounds of top end .41 magnum here behind the shop.
Eleven deer are grazing 300 yards away very content.
Of course it's well past season[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Travisbishop
03-20-2022, 02:04 AM
Yep. I carry a .22 pistol while deer hunting just in case something smaller pops up

Anschutz
03-21-2022, 11:32 AM
I have while archery elk hunting a few times. I keep an arrow for the purpose. I'll take grouse over mountain house 10/10 times. I've also shot a few with 38 short colt while hunting Caribou.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

davidheart
03-21-2022, 12:22 PM
Yes. Without hesitation.