PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer, Bullet Feed Video

Forester
12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
In response to a recent thread that (imagine this) drifted onto how the bullet feeder on a Star Sizer works I decided to make a video of how it works, and how I use it.

Caveat: My primary use for the Star sizer is for high volume sizing. No, every boolit is not picture perfect, but there are 20,000 or so a year I cast that are as good or better than most commercial cast boolits. My rifle boolits get done one at a time (no feeder) and dropped into my hand.

So here is a video of the Star Sizer, Boolit Feeder, Heated Base, Air Feed, and Shovel Handle all working together.

Star Sizer Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NdY15RstE)

45nut
12-21-2008, 08:29 PM
shazam!!

Can you do a video for first time set up procedures too?
Alignment of the lube groove(s) vs the holes in the die is a frustrating exercise here.

Forester
12-21-2008, 08:58 PM
shazam!!

Can you do a video for first time set up procedures too?
Alignment of the lube groove(s) vs the holes in the die is a frustrating exercise here.

Will do, I have a thousand or so 38 boolits to size so maybe tomorrow night or the night after I will show how I do that part.

Any other Star sizer related videos that would be helpful? Maybe a few videos will save the long explanations we get into here especially with first time users of this machine.

HeavyMetal
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Do one on putting lube in the machine!

Many newbie's have a problem getting the Star apart when they need to add lube!

It wouldn't hurt if you covered how the lube injector works as well. Many with Lyman or RCBS experience have difficulty getting the idea!

Forester
12-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Do one on putting lube in the machine!

Many newbie's have a problem getting the Star apart when they need to add lube!

It wouldn't hurt if you covered how the lube injector works as well. Many with Lyman or RCBS experience have difficulty getting the idea!

That should not be too hard to show. I have actually never used the spring fed version on the lube reservoir though because I bought the air feed when I got the sizer and used it from day one. The concept is similar though.

HeavyMetal
12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I will also suggest that any and all video's concerning this subject be made a sticky for future reference!

chrisx1
12-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Shazam +1!!!!

How about a Star sizer Forum? I think that we definately need a sticky for Star setup - some srt of a place to post some questions that get asked over and over.

Forester - you did a great job on that video.

Forester
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Shazam +1!!!!

How about a Star sizer Forum? I think that we definately need a sticky for Star setup - some srt of a place to post some questions that get asked over and over.

Forester - you did a great job on that video.

Thanks, with recent- and upcoming- goings on at work it pleases me to do something productive that might help someone else out and does not come with a need for antacids[smilie=b:

cajun shooter
12-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Forester, Good work on the video. Let me say tho that adding lube to a spring machine is not similar to the air units. Before I installed my air cylinder, I had a few bouts with the machine when adding lube. The spring would sometime unscrew from the bushing cup or stick at the bottom of the cylinder. When changing with the air unit I simply put air to the bottom hole and up comes the cylinder. Unscrew top, add lube, reattach bushing and screw on to cylinder and keep lubing.

copdills
12-22-2008, 12:14 AM
words can't express how neat this video was Thanks and do some more:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2008, 08:30 AM
good job. Works better then i thought it wood. My problem would be filling groves. I size out in the barn in the winter alot and it can be below zero out there. Even with a lube heater its a fine balancing act to make sure all teh lube grove is filled especially on large cal. bullets. I about have to check every other one. So the speed i go without one is about as fast as i could go anyway.