PDA

View Full Version : Need Help to I.D. this rifle & Ideas

DeadWoodDan
02-03-2021, 12:00 PM
This is as about as "special" as they get for me. Been hanging around too long and have always thought about doing something with it. Good winter project/discussion if anything else. Just a rough bore measurement suggests something in 30cal area. I just checked with a 32-30 case and It appears to be a little long and will not go in. I have a bore scope will have to get some pictures, I'm sure it will be a mess. Doesn't look like there is a firing pin, hammer just drops to ignite the round.

Just to add to the discussion if possible what would you chamber it for? I've always wanted a single shot to go along with my 32 H&R RBH! Next question would be who do you suggest for a project like this? I'm not worried about cosmetics, just function. Would rather put a good set of sights on it than worry about finish of stock.

Fishoot
02-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Its called a Flobert. Yours is a Warnant type. weak action, not suitable for much. Everyone cautions against any efforts to put anything beyond original loads in it. They are cute, but apparently, they bite. I advise that you research extensively for "Flobert" on the web.

DeadWoodDan
02-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Thanks Fishoot! Makes one decision easier. Make a wall mount out of it and move on to the next.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

1989toddm
02-03-2021, 03:17 PM
If I were you, I would try to modify to centerfire and load a couple 32 s&w short or long cartridges with black powder to see if it functions. Should be very close to original power.

DeadWoodDan
02-03-2021, 04:48 PM
If I were you, I would try to modify to centerfire and load a couple 32 s&w short or long cartridges with black powder to see if it functions. Should be very close to original power.

I do have some 32 longs in my stash. Will try and see if that fits. I still have not looked at the 32rimfire that it may have been chambered for. If anything just was hoping to make it useful again...and fun.

Mk42gunner
02-03-2021, 10:20 PM
If it was in fact chambered for a .32 RF cartridge, the .32 S&W or S&W Long should not chamber, however one of the .32 Colts will. Difference between inside and outside lubed rounds.

While I'm all for getting quality or at least safe old guns shooting again, I think I will recommend wall-hanger status for this type.

Robert

John Taylor
02-04-2021, 03:37 PM
I have turned a couple into 22LR. You want to make sure the pivot pins in the barrel are a good fit. The smaller action is not strong enough for 22 LR.