PDA

View Full Version : RCBS manual review

Bazoo
02-03-2021, 12:40 AM
I purchased this manual to see what secrets it contains. Not much over the Lyman manual, but a bit different take on casting technique. If you were new to casting it'd be helpful, but I wouldn't give up my Lyman manual. Where it's useful is for the data if you use RCBS bullets. It's worth having as a supplement to the Lyman manual but, somewhat limited on data and cartridges.

Overall it was a neat little manual.

lotech
02-03-2021, 09:58 AM
I bought the RCBS book years ago; I guess it's the only one they ever did. Agreed, it's useful to a point but doesn't compare with the Lyman book.

fatnhappy
02-03-2021, 10:19 AM
I bought the RCBS book years ago; I guess it's the only one they ever did. Agreed, it's useful to a point but doesn't compare with the Lyman book.

I bought the RCBS book ages ago. Having read the lyman I was somewhat disappointed. John Wooters book "handloading" had an excellent section on cast boolits, but IMHO the only book that is in the same league as the Lyman CBH is Col. E.H. Harrison's tome from the NRA.

Maven
02-03-2021, 11:29 AM
Coincidentally, I reread that book yesterday just to check (or recheck) powder selections and charges for the CB's I use. Although they recommend more of certain powders than I typically use, RCBS's suggestion are quite good. Btw, the section on alloys and heat treatment was written by the late Dennis Marshall, who did the same for Lyman in their CB Manual 3rd Ed. and I think E.H. Harrison's Cast Bullets as well.

Bazoo
02-03-2021, 01:45 PM
I noticed that Maven.

I've not had a chance to read Harrison's book yet, but I've read all the Lyman cast bullet handbooks.