PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 327 Federal Single Seven - tell me about it

curiousgeorge
02-02-2021, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking about trading my old Ruger 32 H&R Mag Single Six for a new Ruger 327 Fed Single Seven, maybe the Bisley model. I remember reading here about some problems when they first came out several years ago.

Can anyone tell me about the problems? Did they get them fixed or is there something inherently wrong with the design? One last question- is the frame the same size as the Single Six, or did they make them larger? Thanks

megasupermagnum
02-02-2021, 08:52 PM
On the very first run guns, there was a minor issue of the loading gate not lining up perfect with the cartridge to be ejected. This problem has been corrected. I have never owned a single six, so can not compare the frame dimensions. The grip frames are the same. The single seven is a tight fit for a 327 federal. It can fit a cartridge overall length up to 1.490", maybe a scooch more. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with the design. They work as they should, and shoot great.

Wheelguns 1961
02-02-2021, 09:04 PM
I would say to keep the 32H&R, and get a 327 if you want. I have both, and like both. In reality, the 32H&R will do anything that you would use a 32 caliber handgun for. The only real advantage to the 327, in my opinion, is a flatter trajectory because of the velocity. You can shoot heavier bullets in the 327, but, it is not a 357. If the 32H&R is a cold beer, the 327 is a shot of whiskey. It has a loud crack, and a large flash. My favorite 327 is the gp100 by far. JMHO

cwlongshot
02-02-2021, 10:23 PM
Bow about sending it in and having a 327 cyl fit?

Or how about rechambering your cylinder??

CW

curiousgeorge
02-02-2021, 10:51 PM
cwlongshot
I have one of the very first runs of the 32 H&R Mag Single Six pistols. You know, the ones where the rims of the cases hit the center portion of the cylinder. An aggravation to chamber and a real bear to eject. Finally got tired of sorting cases by rim diameter and sent the gun back to Ruger. Their reply "Not Repairable" - we'll allow you some trade in value if you want to buy a new similar gun at retail price. Told them no for now, but got me thinking about it. I remembered hearing about the Single Sevens having problems, so I wanted to see what others knew about them.

I would much rather just have the little 'moon' cuts made to my cylinder, but I haven't found a gunsmith / machinist who will do it yet. I don't need the extra oomph from the 327 Fed, would prefer my gun (working correctly), but definitely want to keep a 32 of some kind.

Anyone know someone who will do the work on my cylinder?

nawagner
02-02-2021, 11:26 PM
Doesn't the 327 shoot 32 H&R? I bought a Single Seven about two months in this COVID mess and then moved and hadn't had an opportunity to shoot it. I finally got out to shoot and check my test loads. First load put 7 shots within an inch at 15 yds. Worst load out of 5 was 1 1/2". It is a very accurate gun! It's easy to shoot. Not bad recoil even with hot loads, more of a snap, and like Wheeelguns 1961 said, it has a crack and it's like a shot of whiskey. I'm a whiskey drinker, so I like my Single Seven.

They have a tendency to pierce primers on the higher loads. I had 3 out of 35, none on my most accurate load which was somewhat in the lower range. I have seen some people indicate it is due to using magnum primers and others have said to use small rifle primers. I'm going with my load and if I start to see piercings in that load I'll go a different primer route.

I had the problem with the loading gate. Simply filed down the gate valley and refinished and smooth as a whistle now.

It is built on the same frame as the single six.

onelight
02-03-2021, 12:29 AM
I think mine is one of the earlier ones and it had several issues . I also deepened the loading valley so it was easier to load and unload , with hot loads the base pin would jump replaced it with a belt mountain base pin after trying a heavy wolf spring and a replacement catch and new base pin Ruger sent me at no charge , mine also pierces primers on occasion . Power wise I prefer to load in 32 h&r cases to use the crimp groove in several of the bullets I like and I don't load it to its full potential anyway . All this said I like the single seven 327 and am glad I have it. But would be just as happy with a proper functioning 32 h&r .

RJM52
02-03-2021, 09:04 AM
Converting a .32 H&R Mag. to .327 is more than just dropping in a new cylinder or rechambering the original one. The original is shorter than the Single-Seven and if punched out to .327 many of the rounds/bullets won't make the maximum LOA.

I bought a S-S .32 Birdshead with the intention of converting into a .327...this was about a year before the S-7 Birdshead came out...found out it was going to be a several hundred dollar conversion...sold the gun and never did pick up a S-7...

cwlongshot
02-03-2021, 09:30 AM
I have a Bisley and a Birds head 327. Unfortunately I cannot post pic here.

But the Bisley has been fine loading and unloading. But the birds head needed massaging. I deepened and polished the loading "valley" then polished before realizing that even tho its stainless I made that area HIGH BRITE and man did it stand out!! 600 paper allowed me to blend my alteration. (I also had to smooth inside parts!! They seems "punched" from sheet steel and one side was badly burred. I rubbed them flat on a Arkansas stone to smooth. Then the main spring was changed for a wolffe and that was polished smooth and rounder. WOW did that slick up thai action!!! What a great handling gun!! I want another in 22 Magnum!!!

I load the Accurate 31-135s with Blue Dot to 1075 in the Bisley. This is not a overly hot load. Factory Gold dots flatten primers and expand case head more then my load!! But my load can roll a soft ball past 75 yards!!

Good to know the early cly where shorter. Sorry its not a option to the op.

CW

contender1
02-03-2021, 10:43 AM
For the OP.
The frame size is the same as your gun.
The early problems revolved around the smaller loading gate area. Another issue was some early ammo, (Fed mfg,) splitting cases.

Both issues have been resolved.

Personally, I would try & keep the one you have, and add a second gun in .327. I have enjoyed shooting both. And the .327 does make for some fun vermin killing. I used a Single-Seven on ground squirrels several years ago in Idaho,, to make a small dent in their population. It made a big smile on my face.

rintinglen
02-03-2021, 11:33 AM
I have 3 Single 7's, a 4 5/8 blued with an Aluminum Frame, and two Stainless models. I can confirm that they were initially pretty poorly executed, I had to send the 7 1/2 back to Ruger to have the loading port deepened and the centrepin replaced. I had to correct the problem on the 5.5 myself, sanding and polishing the loading port. Once fixed though, they became among my favorites. The 4 5/8 was a later production Lipsey's special and it came wit the earlier problems already corrected. The 7.5 inch is one of my favorite guns and is extremely accurate. It prefers 100-ish grain boolits and H-110 and I have managed several 5 shot one inch groups with it, which is better that I can usually manage with my 67 year old eyes.276815276816276817

Green Frog
02-03-2021, 02:11 PM
I have a long-standing love affair with the 32 caliber family of revolvers. I bought but foolishly sold the Buckeye Special Blackhawk combo with cylinders for 32 H&R and 32-20, but finally was able to get one of the limited production Blackhawk 8-Shooters in 327 Fed Mag and my itch for a Ruger 32 Blackhawk has been well and truly scratched. I have no experience with the somewhat smaller Single Seven in 327 FM, but if I didn’t already have the BH, I’d be in the market for the “Seven” if I could find one of the later, improved, production. I have often referred to my BH as a “stud hoss,” but following along with this, the Seven would surely be a “stud pony” and I really think it will get the job done for you.

Green Frog

curiousgeorge
02-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Mr Frog
I thought I was the only one that had foolishly traded off my Buckeye Special Blackhawk. When I got the Single Six 32 Mag it kind of eased my pain over the Blackhawk. But unfortunately it's turned into a different sort of pain that I can't seem to get fixed.

MT Gianni
02-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Bow about sending it in and having a 327 cyl fit?

Or how about rechambering your cylinder??

CW

IIRC, when Bowen was putting in 327 Fed cylinders you needed to set the bbl back at least a thread.

mainiac
02-03-2021, 08:29 PM
Im intrested in buying one,,but cant find a bisley,anywhere..

dougader
02-03-2021, 08:50 PM
I consider it a mistake to have sold my 32 H&R mag revolvers after I bought 3 327 Federal revolvers (and a Henry 327 carbine). The 32 H&R mag is a great round in and of itself.

The 327 is next level but it is certainly not needed all the time. IME, the 32 HRM loads better, low to high, with better extreme spread and standard deviation numbers.

I miss my Bisley and 4-5/8" Single Six revolvers in 32HRM.

Gregorious
02-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Bought a 5 1/2" stainless Single Seven several years ago. Have had similar experience to onelight, post #7 with the base pin walking with stiff loads and did what he did. Is one of my favorite handguns and have had no other issues.

Green Frog
02-04-2021, 11:30 AM
I consider it a mistake to have sold my 32 H&R mag revolvers after I bought 3 327 Federal revolvers (and a Henry 327 carbine). The 32 H&R mag is a great round in and of itself.

The 327 is next level but it is certainly not needed all the time. IME, the 32 HRM loads better, low to high, with better extreme spread and standard deviation numbers.

I miss my Bisley and 4-5/8" Single Six revolvers in 32HRM.

I really can’t see much advantage to having a 32 H&R when I have a 327 FM unless it is in a gun too small to handle the additional power. One such that comes to mind is the Model 631 S&W since 327 FM power in a J frame strikes me personally as “too much of a good thing.” The Ruger Single Six platform seems to provide sufficient size and weight to comfortably handle the more powerful 327 round, being limited only by cartridge length restrictions imposed by the frame window. ;)

In sufficiently large revolvers, the longer chamber simply increases the user’s options in ammo. My Project 616 (custom stainless K frame 327) gets shot a lot with 32 S&W Long, but when I want to get serious I can shoot 125 grain bullets out of it well past the speed of sound (and with lots of sound and fury!) If I still owned that Buckeye Special, it would have long since been rechambered to 327 FM. :Fire:

The preceding is my personal opinion based on personal experience, YMMV! :coffee:

Froggie