PDA

View Full Version : Lube build up at bullet base

Jim22
02-02-2021, 07:41 PM
I have been experiencing something I suspect you all have but I have not seen it addressed. I just cast, sized, and lubed a couple hundred gas check boolits in my Lyman 45 lube sizer. I'm using Carnauba Red lube and so have a Lyman heater on its bottom. I noticed that some of the gas checks are indented by lube buildup under them. The heater does a good job of making the lube flow easy but maybe too easy. I am concerned that the concave gas checks will cause serious accuracy problems. I have tried being less aggressive pumping the lube into the die. When I did this years ago I didn't have a heater and found I needed to really crank on the ratchet. Now I don't. I have also tried lubing several boolits before advancing the ratchet. That makes it better but doesn't completely solve the problem. I have been keeping a paper towel nearby to clean excess lube out before seating another gas check - and it helps - but what about the boolit that has the concave gas check?

I have thought about putting a potentiometer in the electric feed to the heater. Maybe it doesn't need to be quite as warm with this lube. Has anyone got any experience with this problem? Is there something else I can do?

Mal Paso
02-02-2021, 09:18 PM
As far as lube between the bullet and the pin, a fast transition between down and up pressure on the lever helps. Minimum temperature and pressure too.

Mitch
02-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Your lyman 450 only need to be warm to the touch by that i mean if you touch the 450 where the die is it only needs to be warm say 100 degrees.one other thing to try is to ajust where your bullet it in the siaeing die so there is niot a lube hole right at the gas check.Another thing to look at is your sprue cut is it smooth and not sticking out a bit this will make the gas check dome to.It your gas check is concave it is not seat all the way on the bullet.my thinking is if you gas checks fit nice with out forcing them on.your problems will go way with the jasting of the seating on the sizer die and less heat will stop makeing a mess.

upnorthwis
02-02-2021, 09:48 PM
Once I get the lube up to temp, I unplug the heater. Seems to last for as many bullets as I want to lube. Even a couple hundred.

Winger Ed.
02-02-2021, 09:51 PM
I'd lower the heat first.

I've also had that problem if a hole in the lube die is at or below the base of the boolit when its all the way down inside it.
Residual pressure can push lube into the gap as you go on the up stroke.

You can adjust the depth for the base to go below the bottom holes at full down, or plug them.
Then there will be pressure on the stem to the boolit base as it goes up.