PDA

View Full Version : S&W 500 and red dot

Pb&j
02-02-2021, 07:15 PM
I've been doing some homework to try to find a red dot site under $400 for the 500 but may need some help from this site. Was looking at the Vortex and Halosun brands. Vortex says there should be no problem with recoil but some instances from actual users make it a "maybe". Halosun got back to me via email stating they spec their optics for 5000.00g forces. According to my fuzzy math via online calculators, the 500 is around 6340. Do any of you have any real world experience of either of these brands for this revolver. Have a hog hunt my contractor has gifted the crew as a thank you for a great year and a nice red dot with my own cast boolits would be a fine way to enjoy the harvest. Also, if you have other brands you think are worthy of looking at, please, shout them out. Open to all info.

black mamba
02-03-2021, 11:12 AM
I tried a lot of the smaller red dots, but never found one that would allow quick acquisition of the dot. I now have a couple of UltraDot 30 tube type red dots, and they come up fast with the dot in view every time. They will definitely stand up to the recoil, I have one on a 454 Casull BFR 5 in. with no problems whatsoever.

https://i.imgur.com/4L9Zgmk.jpg

memtb
02-03-2021, 12:25 PM
For precision and or “very” fast target acquisition.....the red dots are a little handicap. That said, I’ve been running a Burris Fastfire 3 moa on my 460 S&W XVR for several years, pushing 400’s at maximum velocities......so far the little sight is “hanging in there”!

As a side note: I’m using a Burris 2-7 handgun scope on my Contender, and am much faster getting on target, primarily due to attaining proper eye relief, with the red dot type sight. Unless precision shooting is required.....for big game hunting, I prefer my little reflex sight over the scope! memtb

Pb&j
02-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Thank you for the info. Only reason I am looking at the small red dot is because it is already a heavy type gun but hitting the target is ultimately the whole damn reason for a site after all. I will certainly open my possibilities. I remember shooting a friends 460 years ago and was totally amazed at the ball of fire I felt while shooting the XTP's. Such a fun sport/hobby.

Rick B
02-03-2021, 07:56 PM
I run a 30mm Ultradot on a 500 S&W also. No issues.
Rick

winelover
02-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Spend a few dollars more and buy American made...............Trijicon. Been using their products since the 80's. Haven't had a failure yet. The Armed Forces uses them, too.

Winelover

DougGuy
02-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Hah I read 500 S&W and Red Dot.. The Powder Red Dot.. I'm thinking boy somebody's gonna be in for some excitement! :bigsmyl2:

contender1
02-04-2021, 09:53 AM
While I prefer to buy American when I can,, I'd opt for the UltraDot for this. They have a pretty good proven track record in heavy recoiling handguns.

memtb
02-04-2021, 11:15 AM
On the subject of strength, reliability, recoil tolerance.....I read somewhere that the Burris Fastfire is rated to 1,000 g’s. I’m sure how that relates in the “real world”......but, I bought into the story line! :bigsmyl2: memtb