PDA

View Full Version : Why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading ?

Livin_cincy
02-02-2021, 03:53 PM
So often a single stage press is recommended to every new reloader.

The typical reason is to learn the process. You can thread a die one time and learn the process on a turret or progressive. Watching one case on a turret or progressive is not significantly more difficult than batch loading one at a time. So do not reply with learn the process.

Please note, the subject line says handgun. Rifle is a different animal with advantages to hand crafting rounds for precision long distance. So please don't go off subject.

Always finding a use for a Single Stage is often mentioned. Maybe for rifle. But the Turrets and Dillon 550 work as a single stage. So, please don't bring this up.

The volume of a turret or progressive is significant over a single stage. Many choose a single stage kit to get started. Some manufacturers sell Turret Kits. So they end up as a second press collecting dust once they realize their single stage cannot keep up with their shooting.

I cannot see a single stage for handgun loading. An inexpensive Lee Turret for Handgun seems much more productive and enjoyable.

Let's watch how many people did not read this being about handgun only, learning the process not valid and always finding a use for a Single Stage as not a reason.

Winger Ed.
02-02-2021, 04:06 PM
If someone is on a budget, it's the best way to get them into reloading.
Or if they are only going to reload a few hundred here & there, it works, and still get's ya out from in front of the TV for awhile.

With a single stage, the investment is minimal, and after doing some reloading, there are people who just don't like to do it.
For those, they don't have a large investment to put in the attic to die.

Nothing wrong with starting off on a progressive, but for most people, starting with a single stage works like
getting something other than a new Corvette for your first car when ya turn 16.

onelight
02-02-2021, 04:16 PM
A turret is a single stage with a turret tool holder. The only advantage I can see is they are cheaper than a comparable turret . But my turret is my single stage for all handgun use. Before I had the LCT or the APP I used a single stage for de-capping but both of the Lee presses catch primers and residue better than either of the single stage presses I have so I don't even use them for that. I think a turret is a great starter press . And I am about 48 years past starting. And it's the handiest all round press on my bench not the best for every thing but very versatile and easy to use.

nhyrum
02-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Other than what you said, I see little reason to specifically keep a single stage for pistol. They are mighty handy though. Can't bulge bust or pass through size bullets on my 650.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ReloaderFred
02-02-2021, 04:25 PM
I used a Hollywood single stage press for over 35 years before getting my first progressive, and it served me just fine. I wasn't loading the volume then that I now do, and that's simply because I didn't have the time or money back then to get something more expensive. That used press and a set of dies cost me $25.00 in 1963, and that was a lot of money for a college student to put out for a "hobby". When you're not putting out thousands of rounds of ammunition, and your needs are only a few hundred over a period of time, then a single stage press makes a lot of sense, especially if the reloader isn't into just blasting ammo down range.

I've seen more reloading mistakes made by first time reloaders who plunged right in and bought a progressive press as their first press. The learning curve was just too steep for them, since there was more going on than just reloading an empty case. The biggest mistakes were primer seating and squib loads, and I still see them today from people just getting into the game. With a single stage press, they're doing one step at a time, and it makes them concentrate on that one step. Some people are mechanically inclined, and some aren't, so a blanket statement that there's no use for a single stage press for loading handgun rounds is most likely incorrect for a lot of people.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dverna
02-02-2021, 04:29 PM
It is a waste of money to buy a SS if the intent is to load handgun rounds like 9mm. .38 .40 etc that someone shoots in quantity.

If loading .460. .480 etc where you might shoot 20-40 a week it is good choice.

jmorris
02-02-2021, 04:52 PM
If someone was wanting to do very small batches, odd ball process, someone just wants something to do, someone has more time than money or wants one arm bigger than the other.

para45lda
02-02-2021, 05:03 PM
** I would need to know how many calibers they intend to load for.
** I would need to know how many rounds they intend to load per caliber
** I would need to know their budget.

All things considered, high round count for one or two calibers go progressive. Low round count, multiple calibers a single stage may be the ticket.

As always, YMMV

Wes

Froogal
02-02-2021, 05:19 PM
Some of us simply are not in such a big hurry. I started out with a single stage. Still have it. NO plans to upgrade.

country gent
02-02-2021, 05:23 PM
A shooter who only needs small quantities of ammo in various calibers. Working up loads, some things are done easier on a single stage than on a progressive. I have 2 650s on the bench, but still do test, trial or work ups on the single stage.

The newer progressives are better with the case actuated powder drops, case feeders , and other up grades they have. Older progressives drop a charge with or with out a case present. Most of the newer skip a case and a primer is going in the spent hopper.

There is a learning curve to reloading and the equipment. Yes you can run a progressive 1 case at a time. Learning what each step is and how it feels acts is a big plus to the new reloader.

If all you want to do is load large quantities of blasting ammo or plinking ammo but if you want to work up the best most accurate load then the single stage or turret to work up. once found and documented the progressive to load large quantities of the said load.

The single stage allows for bullet pullers, file and trim dies, and other special tools to be used easier.

Bazoo
02-02-2021, 05:40 PM
I generally recommend a single stage press for three reasons, it's cheap, it's simple, it's versatile.

Folks get into reloading always ask something like, what's the cheapest way to get into loading? They don't want to spend 150-300 on a turret, or 300-600+ on a progressive to see if they like reloading. For a hundred dollars they get can the minimum that's needed for one or maybe two calibers.

It's simple, okay so a turret is simple too. But a progressive is not simple compared to a single stage. It isn't as easy to adjust multiple things at once and remember it all. And when it goes awry, there are half a dozen things it could be compared to on a single stage, there are generally only two things, die body depth and die stem depth in the body. That's enough to throw off a new loader though. Mistakes made can be critical enough that serious injury or death could result, so the utmost in care must be taken to learn the steps correctly and the reasons for each step.

Versatility of a single stage over a progressive is self explanatory. Over a turret not so much. But the main reason not to go with a turret is it's increased cost.

Another factor associated with getting started on a budget is availability of the press. In normal times single stages are nearly everywhere.

JoeJames
02-02-2021, 05:49 PM
I generally recommend a single stage press for three reasons, it's cheap, it's simple, it's versatile.

Folks get into reloading always ask something like, what's the cheapest way to get into loading? They don't want to spend 150-300 on a turret, or 300-600+ on a progressive to see if they like reloading. For a hundred dollars they get can the minimum that's needed for one or maybe two calibers.

It's simple, okay so a turret is simple too. But a progressive is not simple compared to a single stage. It isn't as easy to adjust multiple things at once and remember it all. And when it goes awry, there are half a dozen things it could be compared to on a single stage, there are generally only two things, die body depth and die stem depth in the body. That's enough to throw off a new loader though. Mistakes made can be critical enough that serious injury or death could result, so the utmost in care must be taken to learn the steps correctly and the reasons for each step.

Versatility of a single stage over a progressive is self explanatory. Over a turret not so much. But the main reason not to go with a turret is it's increased cost.

Another factor associated with getting started on a budget is availability of the press. In normal times single stages are nearly everywhere.Agreed. I have been using an RCBS single stage since the early 80's off and on. Really kicked back in in 2014 when I got my Ruger BH in 44 Special; at that time they were $44 a box. And then because I am OCD on accuracy, I kept experimenting on just the right combination of boolit and powder. Loading maybe 20 at a time, test them, etc. And then I might load some 32S&W Longs, or try out my home cast 148 grain WC's. Suits me down to the ground. I sure don't load 4,000 rounds a day, most is may be 50. And with the primer drought, even fewer.

oley55
02-02-2021, 06:13 PM
If someone is on a budget, it's the best way to get them into reloading.
Or if they are only going to reload a few hundred here & there, it works, and still get's ya out from in front of the TV for awhile.

With a single stage, the investment is minimal, and after doing some reloading, there are people who just don't like to do it.
For those, they don't have a large investment to put in the attic to die.

Nothing wrong with starting off on a progressive, but for most people, starting with a single stage works like
getting something other than a new Corvette for your first car when ya turn 16.

What he ^^^ said. But I will address the elephant in the room, which is that great big empty spot in the corner where the reloading components should be sitting. If someone were to ask me whether they should get a single stage or progressive, my answer (today) would be neither until you find the components.

As the OP stated you can do many (but not all) single stage functions on a progressive, but it can be a bit of a pain at times swapping conversion kits/shell plates for a momentary function. Conversion kits for each caliber as opposed to a collection of commonly used shell holders for that oddball whatever that comes up. With the magic of the internet, a cheap single stage can be had easily and should be standard equipment with any first time progressive press purchase.

Bazoo
02-02-2021, 06:28 PM
Another thing I've seen regularly with new people is like this; "yea so I have a 7mm-08 but I don't want to load for it because I'm super happy with X factory round, I really am only interested in loading for my pistols." We all know how that turns out, you end up loading for the rifle too.

Just the other day I seen a thread that had something like, "I don't want to buy a single stage press, how can I make an adapter to use my lee push through dies on my Hornady/Dillion progressive?"

Rich/WIS
02-02-2021, 06:32 PM
Most used caliber for me is 45 ACP, maybe 100-150 rounds a week. Use a Lyman T-Mag for them size and deprime all of them and then rotate turret and expand them. Prime off press with a little Lee C press and the Lee Auto-prime II. Set in loading trays and charge with a Forster-Bonanza fixed rotor powder measure, inspect to make sure didn't miss or double charge any. Start bullets (Lee 452-200 SWC) by hand and move the block to the press. Seat all the bullets and then rotate turret again and crimp. Probably take and hour or a bit more for the whole operation. Rifle loading is one on an RCBS RC usually in batches of 50. If I was going through ammo like many competition shooters I could see the utility of a progressive but don't know of many non competition shooters whose ammo demand would justify the costs. OTOH if you can afford it and it floats your boat go for it.

Traffer
02-02-2021, 07:05 PM
I use mine for swaging...SO
Single stage presses (the heavy ones) are FAR more flexible.

Hossfly
02-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Main thing would be cost of getting started. When I started, i bought a Lee wack a mole, then RCBS single stage.
Then at 65 got a Dillon 650. Still have all 3. It’s all about where you are in life.

1hole
02-02-2021, 07:55 PM
... When you're not putting out thousands of rounds of ammunition, and your needs are only a few hundred over a period of time, then a single stage press makes a lot of sense, ....

Fred

There is the answer.

The only realistic middle ground is Lee's Classic Turret with it's auto-indexing feature.

boommer
02-02-2021, 08:16 PM
I think everybody has good points hear BUT if you load pistol rounds and rifle the cost of set up gets way up there and we the true reloaders know that it becomes a sickness ! and you will end up with every type of press because were sick so start with YE OLE Rock chucker and understand the wallet pain will only get WORSE !!

P Flados
02-02-2021, 09:00 PM
I have been reloading since 1975.

I still use a single stage.

I reload around 4 - 5 k a year.

It just works.

For many, many folks, it is all that is really needed.

toallmy
02-02-2021, 09:15 PM
I loaded every thing I shot for probably 35 years in loading blocks with a single stage or a lee 3 hole turret without auto index , I thought the greatest thing ever was the little dandy powder measure over the loading block for handgun ammunition . Honestly loading like that could take care of all my shooting easily , but since I joined cast boolits I have pretty much converted to loading on progressive loaders for everything . What a shame in my youth it could have made me a better handgun shooter .
Now I just need to shoot more it's a vicious cycle ....
But I'm enjoying it

megasupermagnum
02-02-2021, 09:15 PM
For someone looking to load a moderate number of target pistol ammo, I probably never would.

I honestly can not remember what the first handgun round I loaded for. It is very possible it was the 41 magnum on a lee hand die set. It is also possible it was 357 magnum on a RCBS single stage. I got both about the same time. The reason in that case, is that is what I had. I was given the lee hand die set, and I did not pay much for the RCBS single stage.

That is the way I suggest anyone start if possible. If the need is there to buy new equipment, then no, I would likely lean them to a progressive or at least a turret press. That is not always the case. In my example, looking to load 41 magnum for hunting, as 41 magnum was hard enough to find, and always expensive. Maybe a guy in an apartment who wants to practice more, but doesn't have much space would benefit greatly from a Lee hand press. That's what I did when I had less space. They work way better than the hand die sets. Any time I got someone to drive, I would be in the passenger seat sizing brass. I still use that press, and it is still very handy. Another example would be the guy looking to only load pistol ammo for accuracy, but doesn't have a need for high volume. Maybe it is a hunter, or maybe someone casually shooting bullseye competition. Either way, they are likely only shooting a couple thousand rounds a year tops, likely less. You can load top quality ammo on a progressive for sure, but when you are talking about weighing every powder charge, doing 5-6 steps to include a neck expander, crimping, etc. I think a single stage is much easier to use for short run tasks like that. A single stage is also much cheaper. I doubt there is any person who ever regrets buying a single stage, and also buying a progressive. I'd bet there are people who bought a progressive, but wish for a single stage of some sort.

The Dar
02-02-2021, 10:16 PM
I started reloading in 1996 with a Rockchucker kit. Started with 9mm, 357mag, 45 auto, 40S&W, 44mag. Loaded on the Rockchucker for years, no problem. I bought a RCBS Partner press for odd ball stuff, hasn't see a lot of use. Three years ago I started casting and about the same time I bought a Lee Classic Turret. Added 380 auto and 45 Colt (plus 4 rifle calibers) to my reloading. Used the Rockchucker for sizing cast bullets for a bit, found it to be overkill. Bought a Lee Challenger which is now dedicated to sizing cast bullets. I reload everything on the Classic turret except for 44 mag and 45 Colt. I know the LCT will handle it, but I prefer the hands on approach. I use the Rockchucker for 44mag and 45 Colt (and rifle). The Partner press is collecting dust for now (lack of bench space).

I believe anyone just starting to reload should start with a good strong single stage press. It will always have a use.

Mk42gunner
02-02-2021, 10:21 PM
I like a single stage press for trying variables. Much easier to change one thing when you don't have several other task that can be interdependent on a progressive loader.

Now, if the prospective new loader is only going to load one or two calibers with one load-- I would recommend a Dillon Square Deal with an extra tool head.

I have a Lyman T mag turret, but it gets used as a single stage with the other dies already set up; which makes it a great press for those experimental loadings. But after I decide one the one load, I don't see it as any better than a single stage press.

Different tools for different processes, a single stage reloading press with the capability of heavy case conversions or light bullet swaging such as an RCBS Rockchucker may be the most versatile, but for normal loading of ammo you don't need the potential everyday.

Robert

Tim357
02-02-2021, 10:23 PM
What Fred said.

richhodg66
02-02-2021, 11:02 PM
All I've ever used is single stage. Got a Lyman All American Turret last year, gonna eventually dedicate it to .45 Colt or .357, but it's as close as I'll ever get to a progressive.

Pete44mag
02-02-2021, 11:11 PM
The reason I started with a single stage press was I didn't know anything about reloading and didn't know if I would like to do it or not. I now load for 7 different pistol and 4 different rifle calibers. If there wasn't such a shortage of supplies I would add 2 more rifle calibers. Point being that the Rockchucker that I started with still sits next to my 2 Dillion 550's and gets used on a regular basis to load my rifle cartridges and work up new ladder loads for my pistols. To me learning on the single stage and then being able to apply it to the progressives was big help.

gifbohane
02-02-2021, 11:13 PM
After tumbling I size/deprime in one step. Then I remove the case and clean the primer pocket and ream the case. Then Prime, all done on a SS. Next I expand the case mouth. It is generally recommended that you Do NOT powder on a Turret. (See Highboy and the T-7) So I powder and then place the powdered case on the press and seat and lite crimp.

This all means that taking the case on and off the Turret eliminates the benefit of the tool. A turret does allow you to keep 6 or so dies ready for use. That is just me.

Gtrubicon
02-02-2021, 11:53 PM
Every one who reloads should have a single stage, period. When loading pistol it comes in handy to hang my hat on, seriously though it is another tool that has many uses and I feel needed for certain processes.

onelight
02-03-2021, 12:01 AM
After tumbling I size/deprime in one step. Then I remove the case and clean the primer pocket and ream the case. Then Prime, all done on a SS. Next I expand the case mouth. It is generally recommended that you Do NOT powder on a Turret. (See Highboy and the T-7) So I powder and then place the powdered case on the press and seat and lite crimp.

This all means that taking the case on and off the Turret eliminates the benefit of the tool. A turret does allow you to keep 6 or so dies ready for use. That is just me.
I put a clean unprimed case in my turret and the next time it comes out of the shell holder it is a finished loaded round that is one of the ways my turret was designed to operate . That is no different than a powder measure on a progressive.
Someone new folks may be safer charging off the press until they get all the operations down .
But run your process in a way you are comfortable with. The turret I use is the Lee I don't know what is recommended for the T7 I have not used one.

Garyshome
02-03-2021, 12:29 AM
Everyone should have at least 1 ss press, usually 2 or 3 are much better.
Dillon:drinks:

David2011
02-03-2021, 12:58 AM
So often a single stage press is recommended to every new reloader.

The typical reason is to learn the process. You can thread a die one time and learn the process on a turret or progressive. Watching one case on a turret or progressive is not significantly more difficult than batch loading one at a time. So do not reply with learn the process.

Please note, the subject line says handgun. Rifle is a different animal with advantages to hand crafting rounds for precision long distance. So please don't go off subject.

Always finding a use for a Single Stage is often mentioned. Maybe for rifle. But the Turrets and Dillon 550 work as a single stage. So, please don't bring this up.

The volume of a turret or progressive is significant over a single stage. Many choose a single stage kit to get started. Some manufacturers sell Turret Kits. So they end up as a second press collecting dust once they realize their single stage cannot keep up with their shooting.

I cannot see a single stage for handgun loading. An inexpensive Lee Turret for Handgun seems much more productive and enjoyable.

Let's watch how many people did not read this being about handgun only, learning the process not valid and always finding a use for a Single Stage as not a reason.

Lots of answers so I'll just give my reasons for having a single stage press in addition to my Dillons.

I do not agree with your premise that a Dillon 550 works well as a single stage press. It does not, particularly when raising the handle. There is a vast difference between the inline pull on a single stage shell holder and the off center load on the shell plate in a 550. I would not load big magnum cartridges like the .480 Ruger and .500 S&W on the Dillon because of the sizing loads when the case comes out of the die. The .500 takes more effort to size than any other cartridge I've loaded, handgun or rifle. I've only loaded .500 for one gun so the experience of others may vary.

I started with a single stage so I still have it; up to 3 SS presses now.

Processing surplus military brass is IMO easier on a SS. OTOH, .45 ACP brass is plentiful enough that there's no compelling need to swage crimped primer pockets on it.

Bullet pulling with a collet style puller requires a SS press. Yes, I have used a collet puller with jacketed handgun bullets.

Sometimes something with a cartridge or a loaded round needs to be fixed and that's far easier in a SS.

Due to the amount of time it takes to set up for a new cartridge, bullet (J or cast) or load, it's faster to load a small batch (defined by me for myself as 60 or fewer) on a SS.

My minimum batch size on a progressive is 100 rounds due to setup if i don't already have a toolhead and powder measure set up for a particular load.

Load development is a ROYAL PITA on a progressive, especially the powder charge. All of my load development is done with a SS press.

All of my .44 Mag and most of my .45 Colt gets loaded on a SS anyway. I don't shoot enough .44 Mag to even have a cartridge conversion for either of my Dillons. Most of my .45 Colt is Ruger/Contender only loads so they're in the same category as the .44 Mag. Only my standard .45 Colt loads are loaded on a progressive. All of this is based on volume; not the power of the loads.

boommer
02-03-2021, 01:04 AM
YA Buddy P Flados if I was to have only one press single stage would be it ! and it really is my go to press to work up loads a progressive is just to slow change up and work up loads and working up loads big part reloading.

slim1836
02-03-2021, 01:56 AM
Some of us simply are not in such a big hurry. I started out with a single stage. Still have it. NO plans to upgrade.

Same here, just don't shoot that much anymore, sucks getting older but I'll take any day. I'm going to play with .177's during this shortage and the press is under tarp. And yes, my press is a single stage.

Never shot competition anything, not a high volume shooter, just enjoy shooting.

Slim

bimus
02-03-2021, 02:23 AM
Some people buy the progressive because they don't want to learn to reload they just want to pull the handle and make lots of ammo one person I know did no even want to buy a manual he just some one to set up his Dillon for 44 magnum . I like helping others but setting up his machine is not helping .

CraigOK
02-03-2021, 02:51 AM
They're portable and flexible, they only thing they give up is speed. They don't take as much space. They are cheaper. As a new reloaded it had me do 1 task at a time. This helped me to focus on the 1 task at hand and increases safety. It gave me the opportunity to set up my dies over and over as I switched tasks. If intentions and needs change it continues to be useful. I depcap all my pistol brass on it even though it gets loaded on a 550. It can be mounted upside down as a push through sizing boolit press.

JM7.7x58
02-03-2021, 02:52 AM
Pistol only per the OP’s strict parameters.

Versatility.

I can swage pistol bullets on my Lee classic cast.

I can bulge bust 40 s&w.

I can swage primer pockets.

I can do everything. It’s just slower.

JM

Greg S
02-03-2021, 03:28 AM
Started reloading in 86 with an RCBS Master Kit. Shortly thereafter, moved up to a Dillon 550 when they came out. I still use the RC, whether for depriming, case forming, re-sizing rifle brass, small batches, load development, swaging primer pockets ect.

The progressive is only used for large batch production of an established tried and true pistol load, minus; 500, 475, 45 Colt and 44 Mag and bolt action LR 400m+) ammo. If doing a production run of rifle blasting ammo, I FL resize on a RC and hand prime and then run through the 550 for smoother operation.

Now, I also have Redding Turret which I thought would get more use but just sits with my bolt action rifle flavor of the month dies set up.

My opinion is there is always a need for a Single Stage Press and it is a controlled learning process.

Walks
02-03-2021, 03:39 AM
I like to do it that way.
Started on a Lyman Comet in 1959.
Use a RC most often these days, Take a Lyman Spar-t out to clamp onto a picnic table sometimes.

7,000-10,000 a year.

Three44s
02-03-2021, 05:18 AM
The flexibility and economy of a SS Press is undeniable.

I began at age 19 in 1975 with a RCBS Jr. It was my only press for 35 years. I loaded HG (mostly rifle though) on it but was not a volume shooter.

After the Lee Classic Cast Turret came out, I got on sale. It’s a great press but as I say not a volume shooter in any one caliber.

The Sandy Hook incident occurred and I bought a Hornady LNL as insurance to things going sideways. It mostly sits.

The Lee CT ...... mostly sits.

Do I have other presses, yes. I still have that original JR and a second one migrated in here. I even have the three ram Pacific and a Lyman ST (turret).

What I do use?

A Redding Boss. I wanted compound leverage for easier sizing motion.

But what about that beginner Pistol only shooter?

Well who among us when beginning knows where they will end up reloading? The best choice in a “vacuum” is a single stage because it does it all and will never get tossed even if it’s sitting alongside a Dillon 1050 someday.

We who have been there are not playing a broken record of the same song.

If somebody wants to throw the money out there right off the bat and go higher level then by all means just go for it.

Three44s

762 shooter
02-03-2021, 08:03 AM
I started with a Spartan single stage press that came in my first kit.
Then I got a Dillon 550B to load more rounds. Then I got a 1050 to load more rounds faster.
Then I got a Rock Chucker RC single stage.

Seems like I was fiddling with the progressives a lot when they weren't cranking out rounds at 110 miles per hour.

There is something to be said for looking at and into every round you are going to fire near your head. The purpose of a progressive is you don't have to do that.

Brass prep is the time stealer in reloading. If you have your brass prepped and primed ahead of time, you can load 200 rounds in less than an hour.

In my old age I have a policy that every round I load I would bet my life on to be safe and to fire 100% of the time. I also bet my son and brother's life. I can't do that with a clear conscience on a progressive.

Jack Stanley
02-03-2021, 09:20 AM
Would I suggest a single stage for handgun only? Sure , One can turn out a fair amount of ammo on one . The only thing between the operator and ammo is time and ambition .

Jack

Big Wes
02-03-2021, 09:21 AM
I started loading 25 years ago, taught myself on a Dillon 550b. Since then picked up a SDB in 45 acp & a 650 set up for 308 & 223. I've been thinking about getting a single stage just for small runs of ammo. I've been looking at the Mec Metalic Press $209.00 plus the stand for like $50.00 more, or a Rock ChuckerJust, can't make up my mind.

Petrol & Powder
02-03-2021, 09:24 AM
Full disclosure, I didn't read all the posts in this thread. I did read the first post.

As to why single stage presses are frequently recommended for new reloaders of handgun cartridges comes down to budgetary reasons.
A true progressive press or even a simple turret press is far more useful when loading large amounts of handgun cartridges BUT most new reloaders are either reluctant to shell out a lot of cash OR simply cannot afford a lot of gear. So, the compromise to get them into reloading is a less expensive single stage press.
You say, "but wait; a turret press is only slightly more cost than a single stage and offers far more functionality". While many people do advance to a progressive press the issue isn't where you start but rather, where you finish. By starting your reloading career with a single stage press, you set up a situation where you will always have a single stage press.
Yes, you could start with a simple turret press and add a true progressive press later but then you would end up with a large collection of toolheads that may or may not be compatible. Like say if you had a Lee 4 hole turret press and a Dillon 650.
A single stage press is just a simpler foundation to begin a reloading hobby.

One argument is, if you're reloading handgun ammunition you are likely to end up with a progressive press eventually, so why not start with a progressive press"? The flaw in that argument is not everyone ends up with a progressive press.

ReloaderFred
02-03-2021, 01:56 PM
I'll just throw out one more thing here. I currently load for thirty-five (35) different calibers, and of those, twenty-two (22) are handgun calibers. Some are low volume, and some are high volume. For me, a single stage press will always be on my bench. In fact, there are three single stage presses mounted to my bench at the current time, with another a couple more on the shelf. In the middle is a progressive press (Hornady LnL), which is used for my high volume handgun calibers.

My single stage presses can do things progressive presses can't, such as swage primer pockets, form brass for calibers that aren't available otherwise, and the various steps in swaging handgun bullets from cartridge brass. They're also used for case trimming, sizing and sundry other steps that a progressive can't handle with any reliable accuracy.

When I first started loading in 1963, it was for one caliber, .30-06, but I quickly added a second caliber, .357 Magnum/.38 Special. I had no idea at that time what my little hobby would morph into in the year 2021, but suffice it to say I had no clue in the early years where my hobby would end up. Without that first used Hollywood Senior press, purchased from one of my college professors for $25.00, none of what I have today would have been possible.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BamaNapper
02-03-2021, 03:50 PM
My personal reason? Space. I don't have much of it. Less than 4 feet dedicated to reloading. It's a hobby, not an infection, and I can keep it from spreading. With that much real estate I leave the SS set up all the time and do every step of any caliber I wish. To be completely honest I do swap it out with the lube-sizer for one caliber, but that's maybe once a year. If I used a turret or progressive I'd have to move it for rifle rounds, boolit sizing, pulling, etc. I'm lazy.

For years I had even less space but I was only loading for a couple calibers. I had a bench where I could bolt the press. My whole SS setup fit in a 20mm ammo can under the bench. A second can held my consumables and casting gear.

I've been using the same press for 40 years. I have never had an instance where I couldn't put together enough ammo to shoot as much as I wanted. It's a matter of how much time you want to spend on the hobby. If you're only willing to spend an hour on Tues nights, a SS is not your tool. If you're looking for a hobby to fill a couple nights a week and maybe a rainy Saturday, give you a chance to listen to some music or a podcast or two, a SS is more than capable. As mentioned above, if you have your cases prepped, 200 rounds an hour is normal. Think about the numbers. One evening in case prep, and a second evening for loading. At 2-3 hours per that's 500 rounds a week without breaking a sweat. How much are you going to shoot?

Petander
02-03-2021, 04:44 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/NMhr0Tf9/IMG-20210203-223706.jpg

Petrol & Powder
02-03-2021, 11:29 PM
SO,

The Op's question was, "Why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading?"

The question is NOT, what do you use.

The question is ...." WHY would you recommend..........."

monadnock#5
02-04-2021, 03:07 AM
Back in the early 80's a single stage press is what the reloaders I knew recommended to me. I didn't have a teacher to show me the ropes. Just me and my Lyman manual. Primarily loading for revolvers. Never felt handicapped by low round count or the time invested.

A single stage press isn't necessarily what I would recommend to a new reloader today however. With all the videos and online services available, everything needed to setup, run and troubleshoot a progressive is at our fingertips. For the newbie shooting semi auto pistol rounds by the bucket full, I'd be okay with that.

This of course assumes that equipment and components again become available at reasonable prices and youtube doesn't shut us out by changing algorithms.

500aquasteve
02-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Single stage, for me starting first loads 3 weeks ago, allow fine tuning case flair and roll crimp. I also used cases varying 0.004" in length per batch, no need to trim cases if I am still finding the sweet spots.

Once I have the ideal settings that work for the load (500SW), then there will be 0.001" case uniformity with whatever progressive system I choose to use, depending on supply.

Minerat
02-04-2021, 11:14 AM
SO,

The Op's question was, "Why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading?"

SO, sometimes what you use explains why you would recommend it. I think recommending a single stage over progressive promotes safer reloading and allows one to observe and stick to detail. Sure progressives help eliminate double charges but they can also cause no charges, high primers or no primers and for beginners it does not promote component inspection or a firm base understanding of the reloading process like a single stage can. I use a single stage for pistol loads. But admit to having a piggyback for use on when I feel lazy and want some blasting fodder. Then I might do 300 rounds over one setting.

onelight
02-04-2021, 11:42 AM
One recommendation for a single stage is that no matter what press you have in 10 years the single stage will still be an asset even if you have a turret or progressive .
If you want to see how true this do a poll on how many still have uses for single stage in addition to a turret or progressive ,excluding press collectors a different game. For handgun rounds a turret does double duty for a lot of things but progressives don't without a lot more setup time .

high standard 40
02-04-2021, 12:10 PM
All beginners should start with a single stage press. There is much to learn and get a feel for when it comes to setting up dies. Many times you can "feel" an issue when raising the ram and a potential problem presents itself. A new loader needs to learn to identify these issues by feel. With a progressive press and three or more dies being used at once, it becomes harder for an issue to be noticed and identified. I've been loading for about 45 years. I started with a Rockchucker and it is still my only press. I've never felt the need for anything else and I load 1000s of rounds a year.

375supermag
02-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Hi...
I reload almost all of my big bore revolver rounds on my RockChucker.
I process the brass in stages and load in batches from 50-500 depending on available brass and the load.
I resize and deprime and then flare the case mouth. I prime the cases on an RCBS APS bench mounted priming tool. Magnum primer cases are stored separately from standard primer cases. I then dump powder charges and seat bullets.
With resized, reprimed and flared cases, I can fill as many loading blocks with charged cases as I want to load and then seat and crimp bullets. With processed cases Ican generally dump powder and seat bullets fairly quickly. I can charge and load several hundred rounds in a few hours.
I actually enjoy loading big bore revolver cartridges on my RockChucker.
Is also do my .38Spl cartridges on my RockChucker. I usually do them in batches of 500 a few times a year.
Big bore revolver cartridges are loaded just about every week.
Despite the relative slowness of reloading on a RockChucker, I usually manage to go through about 2000 cast bullets per month in .41Mag, .44Mag, .45Colt, .45AutoRim and .44Spl total.
Is know that because I am buying about that many cast lead revolver bullets each month

My son and I load all of our auto pistol and .357Magnum ammunition on Hornady LnL progressive presses.

bigwagon
02-04-2021, 01:01 PM
I have a turret, a progressive and two single stage presses on my bench, and feel like I could still use one more SS for what and how I reload. I absolutely would recommend any new reloader start with a single stage for all of the reasons previously stated, and it will never be a waste of money to have one nor a waste of time to have learned on one. No matter how many rounds you load through progressives or other types of presses, there are still too many reasons that a SS is useful to have to even list.

VariableRecall
02-04-2021, 01:38 PM
I'd have to say as a reloader who just started this August that recommending the Lee Hand Press was one of the most important parts that helped get my reloading adventures started. A lot of us young folk don't have the luxury of a garage or the ability to drill something like a reloading bench due to lease agreements. There's always the table-top option from Inline Fabrication (looks neat too!) but that's also a large investment of space and cash that we don't have much of.

When it comes down to a tabletop press to get next, I'm thinking the best solution is going to be a Lee Turret Press. It's compact, newbie proof, and I like the notion of not dealing with excessive set up times.

You can also greatly speed up the process of reloading on a single stage by preparing all other "dry" or non-powder charging/bullet seating steps ahead of time. I'm bundling all my brass in batches of 50 that have the same number of times fired, and state. (Primed/Unprimed)

Another essential, if you have someone else handy, is having a buddy perform non-press actions that assist you while you're making use of the press. For example, I have a buddy charge the cases with my Lee PPM (after we calibrate the thing of course), seats a boolit, and hands the ready to complete boolit over to me. That way, it saves me the trouble of putting the press down to do those actions.

I'm certain that I won't have a progressive press until I have a home to myself. Which could take a long while.

1hole
02-04-2021, 06:45 PM
I have a buddy charge the cases ..... seats a boolit, and hands the ready to complete boolit over to me.

To quote good 'ol Charley Brown, "ARRRRRGGGGG!" ( ;) )

Murphy
02-04-2021, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a single stage for handgun loading to a beginner. There is a learning curve when it comes to reloading. It's better to learn and observe what each stage does during the reloading process. Better to produce a few rounds and find out you've made a mistake, than having several hundred you now have to break back down into components and start over.

Anyone else ever loaded up a couple hundred rounds of .38 Special semi-wadcutters and discovered they wouldn't chamber? Oops, seems that seating and crimping at the same time thing really can create an issue. Better to find out after running of 50 on a single stage than 500 on a progressive. Just my 2¢ worth.

Murphy

megasupermagnum
02-04-2021, 07:59 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/NMhr0Tf9/IMG-20210203-223706.jpg

It looks like you didn't flare the brass, and didn't seat the primers hard enough. I don't see how that is any fault of the press.

VariableRecall
02-04-2021, 08:16 PM
To quote good 'ol Charley Brown, "ARRRRRGGGGG!" ( ;) )

Don't worry, We've gotten to the rhythm of the process. He's not going to hold onto the boolit and charged brass combo and yank it out of my press as I operate the lever.

When I reload alone, I charge all the cases, inspect them, and seat boolits to the charged cases when I'm satisfied with the results.

oley55
02-04-2021, 08:33 PM
I'd have to say as a reloader who just started this August that recommending the Lee Hand Press was one of the most important parts that helped get my reloading adventures started. A lot of us young folk don't have the luxury of a garage or the ability to drill something like a reloading bench due to lease agreements. There's always the table-top option from Inline Fabrication (looks neat too!) but that's also a large investment of space and cash that we don't have much of.

When it comes down to a tabletop press to get next, I'm thinking the best solution is going to be a Lee Turret Press. It's compact, newbie proof, and I like the notion of not dealing with excessive set up times.

You can also greatly speed up the process of reloading on a single stage by preparing all other "dry" or non-powder charging/bullet seating steps ahead of time. I'm bundling all my brass in batches of 50 that have the same number of times fired, and state. (Primed/Unprimed)

Another essential, if you have someone else handy, is having a buddy perform non-press actions that assist you while you're making use of the press. For example, I have a buddy charge the cases with my Lee PPM (after we calibrate the thing of course), seats a boolit, and hands the ready to complete boolit over to me. That way, it saves me the trouble of putting the press down to do those actions.

I'm certain that I won't have a progressive press until I have a home to myself. Which could take a long while.

I recon you would need one of these handy dandy go anywhere wood Lee Turret Box/press platforms. I'm guessing they are rarer than hens teeth though. Those are pics of the brochure that came with my Lee Turret circa 1985, ordered through Shotgun News I think.

Landric
02-04-2021, 08:34 PM
I always enjoy the posts that say basically:

"Don't use the reasons you might want to do X and then tell me reasons why you might want to do X."

The OP basically discounts the reasons to start with (or stay with) a single stage and then wants us to tell him other reasons that might exist. He has made up his mind that there isn't a valid reason to use a single stage in the circumstances he describes. I don't feel any need to try and convince him otherwise. For some reason I'm still posting here. Go figure.

Mk42gunner
02-04-2021, 09:59 PM
I've already responded, but I thought of a few analogies:

For the same reason my dad started my brother and I with a single shot .22 rifle. To learn the basics.

The same reason I taught my daughter to drive a manual transmission, even though she may never own a vehicle with one. Just in case she needs to know how, i.e. the basics.

Robert

PS, I spent many a night weighing charges of IMR-3031 with an RCBS 502 scale, dribbling powder from a teaspoon, and filling .22-250 cases while my buddy seated the bullets. We made quite team loading and coyote hunting.

R

W.R.Buchanan
02-04-2021, 11:36 PM
I would recommend this tool which is a singe stage press that fits in a tool bag with the rest of your stuff. it will do anything any of the bolt down bench mounted presses will do but takes up much less space. So if Space is a consideration then you need one of these.

There are no progressive machines that will fit in a tool bag. This tool will and it will load any brass round smaller than .50 BMG at home, in your camper or tent.

So yes I would recommend this tool over a progressive even for only loading handgun rounds,,, depending on your circumstances.

just sayin'

Randy

VariableRecall
02-06-2021, 05:38 PM
I recon you would need one of these handy dandy go anywhere wood Lee Turret Box/press platforms. I'm guessing they are rarer than hens teeth though. Those are pics of the brochure that came with my Lee Turret circa 1985, ordered through Shotgun News I think.

Now that's neat!

W.R.Buchanan
02-06-2021, 06:18 PM
I always enjoy the posts that say basically:

"Don't use the reasons you might want to do X and then tell me reasons why you might want to do X."

The OP basically discounts the reasons to start with (or stay with) a single stage and then wants us to tell him other reasons that might exist. He has made up his mind that there isn't a valid reason to use a single stage in the circumstances he describes. I don't feel any need to try and convince him otherwise. For some reason I'm still posting here. Go figure.

Maybe you should just convince get him to buy one of mine? At least one of us would be happy! :mrgreen:

Randy

nhyrum
02-06-2021, 08:12 PM
I would recommend this tool which is a singe stage press that fits in a tool bag with the rest of your stuff. it will do anything any of the bolt down bench mounted presses will do but takes up much less space. So if Space is a consideration then you need one of these.

There are no progressive machines that will fit in a tool bag. This tool will and it will load any brass round smaller than .50 BMG at home, in your camper or tent.

So yes I would recommend this tool over a progressive even for only loading handgun rounds,,, depending on your circumstances.

just sayin'

RandyThat would be a GREAT tool to bring to the range and do all the load work in one go! Man I might pick up one of those

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

perotter
02-06-2021, 10:35 PM
Personally I won't recommend a single stage in such a case. Kind of falls into the area of "pennywise, pound foolish".

I figure a person is going to reload a bunch of ammo or decide not to reload at all. A lot of people find it to do tedious to do repetitive hand labor. And if the new reloader does like repetitive hand labor, he'll dream up a way to add work to using a turret or progressive press.

Three44s
02-06-2021, 10:39 PM
I would suggest any newbie that must have a progressive for a first press to go ahead.

Then report back after you have gone that way and tell us who suggest SS presses as a first press how wrong we were.

Three44s

GT1
02-07-2021, 12:36 PM
I always tell them to go ahead if they are certain sure reloading is for them. If they can change their own car tire, do basic service on their vehicles, or thread an old sewing machine, they can certainly run a progressive press.
If they don't or can't do those things, then do more studying.
I absolutely can't stand that standard antique advice to start on a SS press. That shtick is from many decades ago when there was basically a star, and everything else, and it should be tossed.

Scrounge
02-07-2021, 02:05 PM
I always tell them to go ahead if they are certain sure reloading is for them. If they can change their own car tire, do basic service on their vehicles, or thread an old sewing machine, they can certainly run a progressive press.
If they don't or can't do those things, then do more studying.
I absolutely can't stand that standard antique advice to start on a SS press. That shtick is from many decades ago when there was basically a star, and everything else, and it should be tossed.

That's kind of funny. I can't stand the silly advise to start with a progressive. Most people don't need a progressive press. Heck, most shooters don't really shoot enough to justify an expensive single stage press. Maybe it makes sense for someone like my brother. He shoots a lot, and proselytes reloading like a Mormon Elder. I believe he's got 3 Dillons, but he still has a couple single stage presses, too. They are more versatile. It is a pain to set up a Dillon for a different caliber, and you need a bunch of expensive stuff to do it. With a single stage press, you need a set of dies. Period, dot, end of message. IIRC, he does his load development on the SS presses, then sets up one of the Dillon's. Makes perfect sense for him to do things that way.

The thing is, not everybody does the same stuff. You cannot generalize a progressive press as necessary for every shooter. But every shooter can use (not necessarily needs, but can use) a SS press. If you shoot one caliber, one load, one bullet weight, and one set of components, you could probably be quite happy with a progressive press. Once you've developed that load, anyway.

Not to mention "basically a star, and everything else..." I've been shooting and reloading on and off for over 55 years. Never owned a Star anything. Dad had, IIRC, Herters and C&H reloading equipment when I was a kid. I don't remember sizing boolits, and do remember pan lubing. For best accuracy, sizing is good, but if your molds throw good boolits you can get way with as-cast. Especially if you're mostly shooting old worn out guns. I don't think he shot a lot of J-words, but I didn't live with him full-time from age 4 until 15. Summers and other vacation times, we'd often be at his place, and helping him reload, or out in the desert at our step-grandfather's homestead shooting those old worn out guns. There are still a lot of folks who would do fine with a SS press for all their reloading needs. For those folks, it's still good advise. The investment won't kill their budget even if they eventually decided they do need a progressive or three. And it will still be useful if they get another gun in a different caliber, since all they'll need to develop a load will be a set of dies and a mold. You can do that with a progressive press, but the die set is going to be more expensive. Fine if you really need it, but a waste of serious money if you decide you don't like shooting that gun.

For me, BTW, if I need something I can't find or afford, I can probably build it. Recently wanted a sizing die for a 91/30 Mosin Nagant with a way oversize bore. Shoots well with properly sized boolits, and not worth a darn with j-words. I could shoot as cast. I've miked the cast boolits at .3165. I've made a .316 sizing & lubing die for my Lyman 450. I've still some work to do on the shop to get where I can get crazy about casting and shooting again. I have a fine little Spar-T SS turret press. It's plenty versatile enough, and I've had it for about 40 years or more. Now I'm retired, I may someday find the need for a progressive press, but I'm not in any hurry about it. And I do not see that it makes sense to buy a thousand dollar press for a new reloader when you can get a SS press and everything else you could need to reload for that same money or less, even buying new. Judicious purchase of used equipment could get you going for a couple of hundred dollars all in. Every one is different. There is no one way to do things. Everyone is going to need to figure out what they want, need, and can afford. You ABSOLUTELY do not need a progressive press. IFF you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year in one caliber. You may need one if you shoot thousands of rounds a year, even in only one caliber. If you're a nut case like my brother, and shoot thousands of round a year in several calibers and encourage and help others to do so as well, you probably do need several progressive presses. And, I maintain, at least one SS press. YMMV!

BTW, "IFF" is not a typo. It's Boolean for "If, and only if." Not everyone is going to like reloading. Even if they are mechanically inclined. Oh, and I'm a nut case, too, just not in exactly the same ways my brother is. ;)

Echo
02-07-2021, 02:30 PM
I ALWAYS recommend a single-stage as a first reloading press. I helps the tyro learn about in's & out's of reloading. After they have reloaded maybe a couple thousand shells, then maybe they are ready for a progressive. And I'm not talking about a turret press - they are just fancy single-stage presses...

Livin_cincy
02-07-2021, 02:50 PM
SO,

:lovebooli

ascast
02-07-2021, 03:01 PM
I personally know two ( that's 2 ) people who ruined guns by using progressives presses. They were not experienced reloaders. They did not know to check powder levels, primers etc. Of course it was the presses fault, not theirs'. I made the same mistakes when I got a progressive; just caught up in the excitement of cranking out ready to go ammo in mere minutes. I never ruined a gun, but I missed powder once or twice. The second reason is cost. An old Pacific from the 30's will make very good ammo. Maybe the new guy finds shooting is not his thing, fine, he's not out a lot of money.

Shawlerbrook
02-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Agree that a single stage press is a great way for a novice to learn and will always have a use. Besides, it will make your primers and powder last longer in these days of craziness( sarcasm).

Garyshome
02-07-2021, 03:35 PM
Because I only needed to load 6 rounds[smilie=b:
If you are going to shoot very much pistol or semi auto rifle you NEED a progressive. But everyone should have at-least 1 ss press if not 4 or 5[:killingpc]

Der Gebirgsjager
02-07-2021, 04:09 PM
I'm with the "it's still a good idea" crowd. We're talking advice for a beginner here, not an experienced expert. I started on a used Lyman Spartan loading .38 Spec. wadcutters. I had no idea what an extensive hobby it would become, and therefore no idea about what an investment it would eventually become. It was not originally a matter of big volume, just a box or two for practice. As my interests spread so did my collection of dies, but I rarely found it necessary to load more that a box or two for anything. Today I own 3 single stage presses and one Lee turret press, all of the Lee LoadAll shotgun presses, and a MEC .410 press, and they serve my purposes well. Yes, if I expended thousands of rounds of 9mm or .45 ACP annually in practice I would likely find a progressive press to be an asset, but I have no need. Therefore, I feel that starting a newbie off with a single stage press is still good advice, because his investment is limited and one does not know where his interests will take him, or if a year later the press will be abandoned. Also, he gets a much better grounding in the basics by handling each round, rather that just pulling a handle and filling hoppers.

DG

Livin_cincy
02-07-2021, 10:44 PM
so,

the op's question was, "why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading?"

the question is not, what do you use.

The question is ...." why would you recommend..........."

roflmao !!!😆😂😉

Scrounge
02-07-2021, 11:10 PM
I ALWAYS recommend a single-stage as a first reloading press. I helps the tyro learn about in's & out's of reloading. After they have reloaded maybe a couple thousand shells, then maybe they are ready for a progressive. And I'm not talking about a turret press - they are just fancy single-stage presses...

Yes, they are! Though a very convenient SS press, sometimes. ;) Like when you have a couple or three calibers you load for very frequently.

Green Frog
02-08-2021, 04:05 PM
I spent about an hour or so loading 49 usable 38 HBWCs on a dirty, out of adjustment Dillon Progressive Model 550 press because I didn’t want to spend a couple of hours to tear it down completely and rebuild it to run a small batch (and this doesn’t count the 8 rounds that came through without primers nor the 10 that came through with ruined primers upside down or sideways - let’s not talk about that cost!)

Sunday afternoon I spent less time loading 50 rounds of 327 Fed Mag on a single stage RCBS Jr.

I’m sure glad I don’t have to limit my loading to a fast, efficient progressive press! YMMV!

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
02-08-2021, 04:45 PM
My take on this question is that unless you are going to do batches of ammo of more than 100-200 rounds frequently a progressive machine is pointless.

A while back I loaded 200 ea. .30 cal. Carbine rounds in 2 hours with my Hand Press. They were loaded for a friend and he will never shoot them all.

The vast majority of people who shoot, don't shoot enough in one year to justify the expenditure for a Progressive Machine like a Dillon. If you are loading in batches of 20-50 you can get by quite nicely with a Lee Classic Loader, a Plastic Mallet, and a small tool bag with a few other tools to make loading easier. You also don't need a dedicated reloading bench taking up room in your garage or spare bedroom.

All I use my D550B for is loading .45 ACP, 40 S&W and .223 rounds because they are the only ones I shoot a large enough volume of to justify using the progressive. I'm loading upwards of 1000 rounds each of those on each run and only will do it maybe once a year.

Everything else I load is done on my Hand Press at the kitchen table. It is as fast as any other single stage press, and it is a helluva lot more comfortable to use sitting at the table watching TV.

I load .308, .30-06, .30-30, .303 Brit, .45-70, .44 spec/mag and really anything else that comes up because it is doubtful there will be more that 50 to do of any given caliber at any given time.

There is a practicality component here as well, and just because you want something doesn't mean you need it .

However,,, if you are needing to load for High Volume Pistol or Rifle shooting then the Expense would be warranted. It would also be the right tool for the job. A Progressive Machine is NOT the right tool for loading 20 rounds for hunting next year, a Lee Loader is the right tool for that job!. A Single Stage Press is a luxury for that type or reloading and the cheapest one you can find is the best one for the job. Lee has one for $57.

However all Lee Reloading Presses are currently out of stock! So that should tell you something about the current status of Reloading in this country and the world. I am shipping one of my tools to an Island in Norway that is so far North that the sun doesn't shine until late March! Apparently they have the internet there, cuz that's the way they got ahold of me..

My .02

Randy

jim147
02-09-2021, 10:11 PM
The question should be why not to recommend a single stage press to a new reloader. Pistol or otherwise.

If they enjoy reloading they will keep it forever and learn the ins and outs. They can progress from there.

perotter
02-09-2021, 11:58 PM
I think most people start reloading for cheap ammo to shoot and aren't looking for a new hobby. That's why I recommend either a Lee loader or a progressive. But I do help them get set up and going.

Look at how many guys who want to do a bunch on trap/skeet/etc start with progressives right away.

If making a recommendation on anything, the first thing one needs to know it what does the person expect for an outcome.

Me I started reloading when I was 10 years old. Got a .410, a box of ammo, a Lee loader, a 100 primers, #1 of 2400 and a bag of shot. If I wanted to shot more than the 25 rounds, I had to reload. Only got a new box of ammo when the 2 1/2" .410 cases were 2" long.

But for one of my uncles reloading was a hobby. He used to buy every new powder that came out and tested it in his rifles.

PS. FWIW. I still use that same Lee loader for all my .410 needs. Never needed to move up from it. But my brother shoots a lot of .410 so he bought MEC.

Elpatoloco
02-10-2021, 01:16 AM
I've never loaded metallic on anything but single stage presses. Ran 3 at once with different operations when the boys were small.
I do 99% of my loading on an old RCBS partner press on a make shift bench on top of the coffee table in front of the t.v. during the evenings anymore.

I hunt with handguns and load for accuracy. Even my plinkin ammo.

W.R.Buchanan
02-11-2021, 02:35 PM
I think most people start reloading for cheap ammo to shoot and aren't looking for a new hobby. That's why I recommend either a Lee loader or a progressive. But I do help them get set up and going.

Look at how many guys who want to do a bunch on trap/skeet/etc start with progressives right away.

If making a recommendation on anything, the first thing one needs to know it what does the person expect for an outcome.

Me I started reloading when I was 10 years old. Got a .410, a box of ammo, a Lee loader, a 100 primers, #1 of 2400 and a bag of shot. If I wanted to shot more than the 25 rounds, I had to reload. Only got a new box of ammo when the 2 1/2" .410 cases were 2" long.

But for one of my uncles reloading was a hobby. He used to buy every new powder that came out and tested it in his rifles.

PS. FWIW. I still use that same Lee loader for all my .410 needs. Never needed to move up from it. But my brother shoots a lot of .410 so he bought MEC.

Yeah, that .410 Lee Loader is worth it's weight in gold right now. Have you seen the prices for them on Ebay?

I load all my .410's on a Pacific DL266 cuz I shoot skeet with them.

Randy

perotter
02-11-2021, 10:16 PM
Until just now I hadn't looked at the price of them on Ebay in about 10+ years. People certainly do still want them. I like having Lee Loaders around for when I want to load up a few for simple testing when my presses are setup for something else. The loading is all done in less time then changing over one of my presses. The .410, .308 and .357 mag where all I used until I was until I was about 23 years old.

On my fraternal mothers side, they reloaded their ammo since the late 1800's(Great Grandpa). It is expected in my family that one reloads all their ammo. When I was about 5 when visiting a Great uncle I seen the reloading equipment. I know the shotgun stuff wasn't much different than a Lee Loader. But I don't what they had for rifle as I was to young and nobody wanting to answer my dozens of questions.

When I see used ones in gun shop at a reasonable price I buy them. Even when what they are for is something I don't have, but someone I know does. I don't even know what ones I all have. But I know I have all of the shotgun ones, including the deluxe 12 ga.

My brother is on the home place dairy farming and shots at something every day rain or shine. Living or a target. Mostly the .410 unless it's something that requires a rifle.

kmw1954
02-13-2021, 01:42 AM
If I am advising a New person to reloading I would certainly ask them many questions. First question would be why do you want to do this and the second question would be what do you expect to achieve or gain from this..

For someone that wants to specifically reload just pistol ammunition as I did at the time I would not suggest a Single Stage nor would it be a Progressive. A true single stage is too time consuming for most pistol loading and unless doing a couple hundred at a time every time a progressive isn't needed either.

I have read all the comments and I keep seeing and hearing that the Turret is more costly than a single stage. HOGWASH! FS Reloading offers the Lee Value Turret press for under $84.00 every day while Titan Reloading offers the same press for just $95.00 every day. The Lee Challanger press retails for around $75.00/$95.00 while the Lee Classic Cast single stage retail for around $150.00/$198.00, RCBS Rock Chucker $200.00 So that blows that theory out of the equation.

The lee Value Turret press was designed as a pistol caliber press, hence the lighter weight and the over-all shorter height and no need for compound leverage to resize pistol brass. I see no need for a Rock Chucker of Big Boss press to reload lowly 380acp or 9mm., heck not even for 38Spl!!!

The average pistol reloader is not going to be swaging bullets or reforming brass to a different caliber.

Now to be certain to everyone that I and not biased to one type of press I have an RCBS JR3, Lee Value 3 hole, Lee Pro1000 and a Lee Pro4000 ABLP and yes I use each and every one of them regularly. Right now because I am developing ladder loads for a 223 I am mostly using the JR3 and the Value Turret presses.

Then if I had to recommend a single stage press to reload pistol only rounds I would offer the smaller RCBS JR presses for their shorter frames and simple linkages or the old fashioned C press..

gnappi
02-13-2021, 09:08 AM
Gads, so many conditions for a reply.

OK, don't use one...

Bent Ramrod
02-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Most people who start out reloading want to save money over the cost of factory ammo. The single stage is the most cost-effective way to begin, if they’re loading any more than a few at a time.

Most people are not going to “learn the process” by watching a shell go into a single die on a progressive. Those buying them want to yank a handle and watch the loaded rounds fall out. This is not necessarily usable ammo. I know some full-auto guys with roomfuls of Dillon reloaders who experience lots of failures-to-feed in the stuff they crank out, and these are not beginners, either. Tearing through belts, drums and sticks full of reloaded rounds points these failures up in a way no other shooting venue can.

It also isn’t necessarily safe ammo. The newbies on the SASS site who wanted to start out reloadin’ cuz th’ cost o’ thet faktry ammo was breakin’ thim were encouraged to start off with one o’ thim thar Dillions. It might be coincidence that the threads on revolver blow-ups started proliferating on the site, or, of course, it might of been thet thar SEE thang, whar if a necked-down, overbore rifle case loaded with a mere 90 grains of progressive-burning powder instead of the normal 100-grain starting load would detonate, then certainly 3 gr of Bullseye instead of a normal 5-gr charge in a straight case would also release vast, destructive energies when lit off by the primer. Maybe so; I dunno. Sounds like a lot of rationalization to me.

Most people use a turret press just to store their dies, using it as a single stage for the individual parts of the prep for all the cases, then turning the turret to the next stage. Really using the turret on an individual case until it is a fully loaded round again is a pretty tiring operation (for me, at least) and requires a lot more concentration than the individual stages on a whole box of empties. A real expert, doing this, looks like that Hindu god with all the arms doing so, if he’s getting the full speed benefit out of his turret press. Aside from not having to screw dies into and out of the single stage, a turret won’t do much for a beginner. Except cost more, of course.

There is, also, the very real possibility that the new prospective reloader will get tired, or bored, or the cost of ammo will come back down, or he’ll find some pal to reload for him. The cheap single stage gathering dust in the corner is at least less costly and so easier to unload than the turret or progressive that is gathering dust in the corner. Fewer parts and auxiliaries to get lost while sitting around, too.

If the beginning handgun reloader is already shooting several thousand rounds a year, he doesn’t need any advice from me.

smkummer
02-18-2021, 11:48 AM
I have always recommended single stand to a new reloader. They all have both handguns and rifles so I tell them they will need for bottleneck rifle anyway. They are pleased when their ammo works. And I can’t watch them all the time. If you make a mistake on single stage, it’s easy to remover that cartridge and and stage of its process. It’s also easy to do a safety check on powder charges.

GasGuzzler
02-18-2021, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't. Everyone needs more than one press. Most people should start on a single. I said most...

Lee's LCT can have the case advance disabled so one can learn single then go kind of progressive.

2A-Jay
02-18-2021, 09:03 PM
I have both a single stage press (Rock Chucker) And a 6 station Turret Press (Lyman Spar T). I use both for Hand Gun Ammo. I also use both for Rifle Ammo. It really all depends on my mood and how much time want to spend on a particular reloading session.

I started out with a Single Stage (I only had one Pistol at the time) I still use the Rock Chucker for Handgun Ammo more often, but that is just me.

gbrown
02-20-2021, 09:45 PM
I can load all day long on a SS. Kinda peaceful, solace like feeling. One activity at a time. Resize, deprime numerous, bell mouth, drop powder, seat bullet, crimp. Very satisfying. Just where in life. In a hurry, get a progressive. Just where you are at with life. My SS? A 406 CH I got off a clearance table in a long forgotten department store back in 67 or 68 for the princely price of 19.00. On my reloading bench as we speak. Love that thing. I can still get the plates from modern C-H. Great for loading precision hunting loads. BTW, I also have a Dillon 550 and a SDB sitting there.

Three44s
02-20-2021, 10:03 PM
I spent about an hour or so loading 49 usable 38 HBWCs on a dirty, out of adjustment Dillon Progressive Model 550 press because I didn’t want to spend a couple of hours to tear it down completely and rebuild it to run a small batch (and this doesn’t count the 8 rounds that came through without primers nor the 10 that came through with ruined primers upside down or sideways - let’s not talk about that cost!)

Sunday afternoon I spent less time loading 50 rounds of 327 Fed Mag on a single stage RCBS Jr.

I’m sure glad I don’t have to limit my loading to a fast, efficient progressive press! YMMV!

Froggie

Take that down to a load development project instead of doing a load block of ammo.

That load development project becomes a royal pain on a progressive, but a breeze on a single stage or turret press.

Three44s

jim147
02-20-2021, 11:50 PM
I've never tried but how does a progressive do at sizing boolits?

M-Tecs
02-21-2021, 01:44 AM
I've trained and helped equip maybe 4 dozen new reloaders or low experience reloaders. The first question when approached is what is your experience level with reloading? Second is what your expectations are? Third what are your actual needs? From that intelligent recommendations can be made. A generic one size fits all recommendation is not an intelligent recommendation. A recommendation that fulfills their actual needs and expectations is an intelligent recommendation. Experience level is not part of the equation. If their actual needs and expectations lean towards a single station that is what I will recommend and train them on. If their actual needs and expectations lean towards a progressive that is what I will recommend and train them on.

The same basic operations happen on a single station the same as a progressive's. Only real difference is that on a progressive they normally happen at once but they don't have to. When I train a new reloader on a progressive the progressive is used as a turret press until they have a very solid understanding of how each station functions. No different than on a single station or turret.

I did have one individual that I had to flat out tell reloading was not for him regardless if it was a single station or a progressive. Sometimes the student is not equipped to learn but mostly it's the instructor that is not equipment to teach if the student fails to learn.

I am mostly around competition shooters and new competition shooters. At least 50% of them started on a progressive's press with zero issues. If you don't understand what you are doing on a progressive you don't understand what you are doing on a single station. Properly taught single station and progressives are equally safe or unsafe.

I also do most of my load development on a 1050 or a 650 and it's generally still quicker than on one on my single stations. And yes when a single station provides an advantage I will use it.

Froggie

How does one get a 550 that dirty and or out of adjustment??????????

At the first minor indication of any issues those issues should have been dealt with at that time??????????

I keep all my empty primer boxes behind each machine until I have a maintenance stoppage for round count. A maintenance stoppage is any type of hangout or glitch that is more than a case feeder dropping a case upside down.. With the 650's that on average is one per 6,000 and on the 1050's that is about one per 9,500 rounds. I do keep a vacuum and compress air at the machine I am using.

David2011
02-21-2021, 01:50 AM
I've never tried but how does a progressive do at sizing boolits?

I wouldn’t on my Dillons but I have single stage presses and lube sizers. The load on a single stage is centered but on progressive presses it’s a very lopsided load.

tbpollard
02-23-2021, 10:33 AM
To each their own, people laughed at me when I started casting and loading 9mm. Not so much laughing going on about it these days. If you are considering getting into handgun reloading, and you plan on doing a decent volume of shooting, the progressive will save you allot of time over a SS.