PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Model 51 22LR parts wanted for project

slim1836
02-02-2021, 12:54 AM
Looking for front sight, rear sight, receiver peep sight, and 15-round tubular magazine with guts. Looks like it deserves some attention. I want to try if I can. I can't seem to find a schematic of the rifle that I can zoom in on and read either.
Anyone here that can help with parts before I surf the evilnet a little more? I think the tube and peep sight was still out there, have not found the front and rear sight assemblies or screw sizes and screws for rear sight and peep sight. The front sight is dove tailed, single screw for rear sight and two screws on left side of receiver for the peep sight. It's drilled and tapped for a scope on top along with at a 45* on the left side. I believe those on the side are also factory drilled for a side mount scope. I believe this rifle was made in 1939 and perhaps Mossberg's first style of semi-auto rifle.

If nothing else, it will work as a diversion rifle on the wall or gun cabinet.

Thanks for looking,

Slim

Any info on the side mount and scope appreciated.

oldhenry
02-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Try havlinsales.com

Havlin was/is ? the driving force behind the Mossberg Collectors Association. I was a member long ago, but I'm not UTD on current status.

Hope this helps.

slim1836
02-03-2021, 07:55 PM
Try havlinsales.com

Havlin was/is ? the driving force behind the Mossberg Collectors Association. I was a member long ago, but I'm not UTD on current status.

Hope this helps.

I've talked to them already and they have the complete inner tub and front sight which I'll order tomorrow. I'm bidding on the rear sight on evilbay and it ends in 4 days. Already bought the No.4 peep. Havlin has a side scope mount they make if I choose to go that route but I really want to use original parts if possible. That's probably all I need now until I clean her up and see how she shoots.

Still looking for info on the scope that may have come on it and the side mounts for it.

Mossberg made this rifle for the Spiegel Company. In 1939, 1,025 Model M51's were manufactured for the Spiegel Company per one comment on another forum I've seen. I would love to find the advertisement in their Spiegel catalog.

The rifle probably shoots the way it is but I still need to clean her up first. If it shoots well I'll keep it.

Thanks for the reply oldhenry, it's appreciated.

Slim

oldhenry
02-03-2021, 08:13 PM
I have a Mossberg 4X scope that was on my 151K with a top mount (the 151 had "dove tail" grooves). If you come up with an original side mount & want a Mossberg scope, let me know.

My 151K came from Montgomery Ward in 1954: my 15th birthday present.

pete501
02-06-2021, 04:28 PM
This is a No.8 mossberg mount. Its stamped steel, I had it on the 26C single shot. Not a mossberg scope but a weaver g4.

The rifle was from borrowed from a neighbor when I was young. It was used to dispatched 100's of skunks, opossums, and foxes. The widow gifted the 22 when her husband passed. It was my first firearm, the one that started it all. Its a cherished possession and rings the 85 yard gong time after time.