PDA

View Full Version : Cavity Depth on Lyman .224 HP Mold??

hoodat
02-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Awhile back, I acquired a Lyman 22 cal. mold #225462. It is missing the hollow point shaft and handle. I've got adequate Okie skills to create a new one, but was wondering what depth to set the cavity at. I'm interested more in accuracy than expansion, and could even set the thing to provide no cavity.

I'm wondering if any of y'all have experience with this mold/bullet. I'll be using it primarily for my 218 Bee if it works out. Appreciation in advance. jd

MT Gianni
02-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Since you are making it you can experiment with several depths. i would go somewhere between 1/3 over all bullet length and at least 1/4 oal.

hoodat
02-03-2021, 02:11 AM
Thanks Gianni. I'm prolly making too big a thing of it. Since thinking about this, I've thought of a way to adjust and lock the pin at various depths, even flush with the bullet tip if desired. jd

Bent Ramrod
02-03-2021, 10:13 AM
When I make replacement HP pins, I set them to the depth of the top of the first band on the boolit shank.

That adjustable pin idea may work, if your ultimate depth isn’t too great. I find I need at least a little draft on the pin in order to pull it out of the boolit. Pulling a full-depth pin back out to make a flat nose might allow a little flashing past the nose. Your top punch should squish it back down when you run it through the lubrisizer, but I don’t know how it might affect the accuracy, if that is your ultimate goal.

hoodat
02-04-2021, 02:07 AM
Thanks for that advice. I'm thinking maybe a T-handle instead of the wooden knob on the original pin. Don't know if heat might become a problem. jd