PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Mold Handles

dddddmorgan
02-01-2021, 07:04 PM
As the title states, I have come up with a nice single cavity Ideal brand mold and I'm wondering what handles fit?

I have RCBS (large) and Lyman (small and large).

Thanks

MT Gianni
02-01-2021, 07:43 PM
Ideal or Lyman single cavity unless it is a 45 rifle caliber. If it is Lyman DC handles fit it. If it is a later Lyman then DC handles but if Ideal then only Lyman or Ideal sc handles fit.

Evoken
02-03-2021, 08:06 AM
I bought an ideal sc mold from.a member here. To make the lyman sc/dc handles work I had to sand the inside of them down until the mold closed and i still had some air space between the wood.

dddddmorgan
02-03-2021, 08:16 AM
I should have stated, it's a nice little round ball mold for my B.P. revolver, single cavity. I will have to look around at the gun show this weekend. I have three or four other molds that don't have handles, I don't mind swapping but would like another set. The local establishment has some but the prices are astronomical.

Green Frog
02-09-2021, 10:49 AM
The original Ideal designed single cavity handle sets were designed for that size blocks and should nearly always be expected to fit without any problem. They have the advantage of heating up relatively quickly and not causing undue fatigue... the disadvantage is primarily that they cool off rapidly too.

I like my small single cavity blocks with small handles when I need to cast 451 round balls for my repro Cap-&-Ball Remington, but I have to admit than when I’m casting a lot to get ready for a new season of competition, I double my production rate with a 2 cavity mould.

Froggie