PDA

View Full Version : Paper Patching LEE 8mm KAR 239 Gr. for 8x56R

DonMountain
02-01-2021, 06:34 PM
As suggested in another thread I started about shooting cast bullets in the 8x56R Hungarian, I was having trouble figuring out how to get a cast bullet to about 0.334" in diameter when someone suggested paper patching a cast bullet for the 8mm Mauser. I found a container of LEE 8mm KAR 239 Gr. castings that I use in my 8mm Mausers that might work. So, my next question is, how to paper patch these bullets? They measure 0.325" now. And I have some bond paper that measures 0.002" thick, so it looks like two wraps will add 0.008" to the bullet diameter so I am up to 0.333" in diameter and my bore measures 0.332". So, any help with instructions on wrapping these bullets would be much appreciated.

wmitty
02-02-2021, 01:35 AM
What is the diameter across the lands of your Hungarian? The boolit needs to be land (bore) diameter or .001-.002” larger than bore diameter. Patch needs to be two times the diameter times pi in length ( 2 x 3.14159 x .325” = 2.04”) which should give two full wraps. The angle of your patch can vary but I use 45 degrees. The patch is a parallelogram shape with the 2.04” dimension being the top and bottom dimension with the height or vertical dimension being the length of your boolit plus however long you want the tail to be beyond the base of the boolit. Actually the patch is slightly shorter than this because you don’t patch all the way to the tip of the ogive but to where the patch is touching the leade to the lands. If you will go to the smokeless paper patch discussion below there are a number of sticky’s giving better detail and information than I have submitted.