PDA

View Full Version : Casting/bullets for multiple revolvers

jason280
01-31-2021, 11:25 PM
How do you decide on a bullet/mould/sized diameter when shooting multiple revolvers of the same caliber? I'm wanting to decide on a couple moulds and bullets to use, but don't want to have to get into multiple moulds for different revolvers. Basically, I want to get 1-2 moulds each for .357, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt/.454 Casull. I also don't want to get into having to size bullets differently between revolvers, but I do understand I may be limiting myself somewhat. I now ideally I should be slugging each one, but I'd like to keep things simpler if possible.
Majority of my revolvers are all Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawks, but I do have a couple Mag Research BFR's in .45 Colt & .454 Casull.

Tips or suggestions?

CraigOK
02-01-2021, 12:19 AM
Have the cylinders honed out to the same diameter for each caliber. Maybe Doug does a volume discount ��

onelight
02-01-2021, 12:35 AM
The way I do it is depending on boolit style you have to size for the tightest throats so they will chamber in all I use a plain base for light loads and a gas check for heavy . I don't keep guns long that require much oversize to shoot , like a 45 colt that needs a .457 bullet . I find on bullets that are not a perfect fit powder coating or Hi-tek are more forgiving and I also pick bullet weights in the standard 250 grain to higher for a cartridge like 45 colt to maintain power at lower velocities than you need with lighter bullets .
Not saying this is the best way , but to make cast to use the same loads in multiple guns you are going to compromise .

Duckiller
02-01-2021, 04:15 PM
Slug the guns. Only way to know if you can use the same mold for different guns. Or just shoot them and not worry about size.

higgins
02-01-2021, 05:09 PM
Based on my experience: 150 gr. SWC for .357, 240 gr. SWC for .44 mag., 250 gr. SWC or RNFP for .45 Colt. I haven't seen large variations in 38/357 chamber mouths, but if your .45 Blackhawk is an older one it may have larger chamber mouths than later production, but an unsized .454 bullet should work in it.

mdi
02-01-2021, 05:26 PM
I have 5, 44 magnum guns and 4, 9mm pistols I cast for. My solution for varying barrel diameters/gun requirements is purchase Lee sizing dies and hone for "custom fit". I use 3 for my 44s, .430" (Contender), .432" (Ruger SBH, S&W 629, Dan Wesson 44H), and .433"+ (Puma Carbine). For my 9mms I use .356" .357", and .359". No need to modify any guns and no big deal customizing loads/bullets for different guns (I like reloading!).

onelight
02-01-2021, 05:45 PM
I have 5, 44 magnum guns and 4, 9mm pistols I cast for. My solution for varying barrel diameters is purchase Lee sizing dies and hone for "custom fit". I use 3 for my 44s, .430" (Contender), .432" (Ruger SBH, S&W 629, Dan Wesson 44H), and .433"+ (Puma Carbine). For my 9mms I use .356" .357", and .359". No need to modify any guns and no big deal customizing loads/bullets for different guns (I like reloading!).
This is the best way for sure .

gun toting monkeyboy
02-02-2021, 02:56 AM
Try out some small quantities of store-bought bullets in your guns to see if there is a shape that works or doesn't work. This isn't as vital in revolvers, but can make a great deal of difference in semi automatics. Several of the bullet companies offer small packets of 20-30 bullets.

Next consider what you are going to be using the bullets for. If you are just plinking, a simple round nose might be just fine. If you plan on shooting targets, some sort of WC or SWC would probably be in order. If you are looking at hunting or self defense, consider a HP.

Then look at what bullet weights are "traditionally" used in the cartridges you are considering. That may have a great deal to do with your choice. Like for .38 caliber, you might look at 158 grain and 125 grain bullets, as those are both reasonably common for loads in several different. 38 caliber cartridges. The same can be said for .45 caliber, with 200 and 230 grain projectiles.

As the others noted above, you can get Lee sizing dies. I use the same molds for many of my .38 caliber cartridges. Some need the bullets sized down to .358". Some prefer them to be .360-.361". The sizing dies let me use the larger diameter cast bullets in the guns that have tighter bores.

Finally, learn to cruise ebay. You may have the molds you want, but sometimes oddball molds show up for cheap on there. And you may end up picking them up for a song. Just remember to do a quick Google search BEFORE you buy something. There have been a few molds over the years that have, for one reason or another, sucked. These tend to end up on ebay again and again. A quick search will give you a heads up if you are looking at one of the problem molds.

-Mb

jason280
02-02-2021, 04:54 AM
Slug the guns. Only way to know if you can use the same mold for different guns. Or just shoot them and not worry about size.

My plan was to pick up a set of pin gauges to use, seems like it would be the fastest/easiest method for checking multiple cylinders. Does anyone know if anyone is still offering custom pin sets for specific calibers?

onelight
02-02-2021, 08:44 AM
The magnums are going to be the ones that make this harder to make work unless you get lucky.
I shoot a lot of commercial cast Hi-Tek for light loads in mine in 700 to 900 FPS . They will lead if driven to hard because of the poor fit and hard bullets.
But for my magnums I use my cast where I have control over fit and alloy.
Get a Lewis lead remover it will make you life easier if you take this path as has been mentioned shooting fast loads through cylinder throats that the bullets don't fit you are going to get some leading , you just won't know how much until you try it.

Targa
02-02-2021, 09:04 AM
The pin gauges are a good idea. Once you know what your revolvers like head over to NOE buy this https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/sizing-tools/bushing-push-through-size-die/push-through-size-die-body/001-push-through-size-die-body/, the different size bushings you need https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/sizing-tools/bushings/ and then the push rod https://noebulletmolds.com/site/?s=Push+rod&search_id=1&post_type=product. So easy even I can do it...:smile:.
Just make sure that whatever mold you get doesn't cast undersize bullets or all of the above is useless.

The Lee’s are outstanding sizers as well it is just that IMO buying the bushings for what you want is easier and NOE has a greater variety of sizes.

fredj338
02-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Pretty simple request. Just find a bullet style you like in each caliber. I size to fit all my guns, which means larger is better. I would rather fix the gun, opening throats, than size diff bullets. I go 0.358" for 357, 0.411" for 41, 0.431" for 44 & 0.452" for 45. It seems to work fine.