PDA

View Full Version : Model 617-1 22 lr.

bigted
01-31-2021, 10:51 PM
Looks like I won a bid on a S&W model 617-1 6 shot revolver with a 6 inch barrel.

Know practically nothing but the YouTubes I have watched on them. Can hardly wait to get it. Looks like a great revolver and just right for excursions in the cascades. Squirrels, rabbits and quail or grouse will decorate my camp fires ... I can see em roasting now.

Any info I can garner would be really appreciated. As mentioned, never thought I would be able to own one of these very cool lookin revolvers. It should be a great little sister to my Dads 586 in 6 inch.

Anyhew ... thanks in advance for what ever experience or suggestions you can give.

dimaprok
01-31-2021, 11:07 PM
Looks like I won a bid on a S&W model 617-1 6 shot revolver with a 6 inch barrel.

Know practically nothing but the YouTubes I have watched on them. Can hardly wait to get it. Looks like a great revolver and just right for excursions in the cascades. Squirrels, rabbits and quail or grouse will decorate my camp fires ... I can see em roasting now.

Any info I can garner would be really appreciated. As mentioned, never thought I would be able to own one of these very cool lookin revolvers. It should be a great little sister to my Dads 586 in 6 inch.

Anyhew ... thanks in advance for whatever experience or suggestions you can give.

Congrats, I have one too, been wanting to get one for about 20 years ever since I shot one in the gun range as a rental and I also won in the action few years ago at a good deal ($500). One thing I don't like about it is that after shooting some rounds the empty shells don't want to eject freely due to soot, have to push the eject rod hard with the palm and as you can imagine it's not pleasant. One day I am going to treat with silicon oil, there is an article I've read it really helps with 22 suppressors to clean the leading and carbon later.

JimB..
01-31-2021, 11:39 PM
Great guns! Did you get the square or round grip version?

tazman
02-01-2021, 01:21 AM
I have a 617 but am not sure of the dash number. Accuracy is excellent as well as the trigger.
I have had the problem with ammo getting sticky to eject after several rounds but it depends greatly on the particular ammo used. Some brands and types are much dirtier than other and will present a greater problem. I had mine at the range last week and put 80 rounds through it without any difficult ejection issues. Different ammo will give different results.

slide
02-01-2021, 02:45 AM
I have one of the stainless steel 10 shot models. Also had the sticky ejection. I sent my cylinder to Dougguy and after he did his magic I can shoot all day long and no problems ejecting empty cases regardless of the ammo.

Pressman
02-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Mine is a pre-18, 4 inch model 17. Beautifully made, and accurate beyond what I can shoot today. I have had it for 50 years and hope my daughter can keep it for that long.
My best shot with it was 90 paces across a new, spring corn field at a ground squirrel. It flipped him end over end. Pastor and church deacon were there to witness it.

Ken

pietro
02-01-2021, 12:29 PM
My best shot with it was 90 paces across a new, spring corn field at a ground squirrel. It flipped him end over end.

Pastor and church deacon were there to witness it.

Good thing..... ;) (nice shootin', BTW)

Mk42gunner
02-01-2021, 10:19 PM
No personal experience with one, but I would treat it like a stainless K-22 and expect it to shoot better than I can hold. Keep it clean and it should out last your grandkids grandkids.

Robert

AZ Pete
02-01-2021, 10:27 PM
My M-17 and M-18 have tight chambers, which I like. Winchester ammo is problematic, but not Federal or CCI.

Pete44mag
02-01-2021, 11:17 PM
Have had one with a 4" barrel for about 6 years now. The gun is more accurate then I can hold, bench resting proves it. Really crisp trigger, great for small game or plinking. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have and use it in happiness and good health!

monadnock#5
02-02-2021, 12:06 AM
I keep a cheap aluminum pistol rod and a .22 bore brush in my range bag for the sole purpose of sweeping the dirt out of the cylinder of my 617. A dry brush works fine for maintaining the mechanism while at the range.

tazman
02-02-2021, 05:06 AM
I actually own three S&W 22lr revolvers. A 617 with a 6" barrel, a 17 with a 6" barrel, and a 34 with a 4" barrel. All three will shoot dime sized groups at 15 yards from a rest for me. I wish I could hold them steady enough to approach that without a rest.
All of them have snug chambers but not terribly tight. All will get sticky after a while when using dirty ammunition.
Certainly easy enough to remedy with a brush and a chamber mop.
Thorough cleaning comes after I get home from the range.

sparkyv
02-02-2021, 07:40 AM
My M60 also had the problem with ammo getting sticky to eject after several rounds. My Dad grabbed his drill, a small wood dowel and some Emory cloth and quickly lapped the chambers to my great satisfaction.

curdog
02-02-2021, 09:37 AM
I have a 617 6 inch and it is very accurate with cci mini mags and I think you will like it very much..................Curdog

ATCDoktor
02-02-2021, 11:33 AM
I have all barrel lengths in the 617, six shot 8 3/8ths, six shot 6 inch and a 10 shot 4 inch:
https://i.postimg.cc/QxTsGkzL/C3-D76-C68-118-B-45-C3-9-E64-7-FF9-A40197-E0.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I have used the 8 3/8ths version to great effect on small game as it shoots like a rifle:
https://i.postimg.cc/YS4TYpB5/B640819-D-4268-4865-BBA9-8-B03-EE2-B9-BCE.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Burnt Fingers
02-02-2021, 01:42 PM
I'd love to find a good 17.

I do have a 35 which is not that common. But those tiny I frame sights.....they are hard to see.

I'd even trade a case of primers for a good 17 or 41 right now.

Murphy
02-02-2021, 02:04 PM
I've a couple of pals who both owned 617 4" versions back in the 80's. They sure were sweet shooters. I've always leaned more toward the Model 18 and Model 17. I wasn't shooting the Model 18 often and needed some room in the safe, so I sent it down the road. My 1948 pre-model 17 is another story. It ain't going no where. No telling how many shot's it's fired through the decades, and it doesn't show any signs of letting me down in this lifetime.

Murphy

bigted
02-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Wow, thank you for all the reply's. I look forward to getting my grubby hands on it all the more. I anticipate great times with it up in the cascades and western coast range. Seems like a great companion on these outings.

Jack Stanley
02-04-2021, 03:55 PM
I had a model 18 years ago , the high velocity ammo was a little more sticky than using standard velocity . So if you have standard velocity try that .

Jack

Forrest r
02-05-2021, 07:56 AM
Owned a lot of different s&w rimfire firearms over the years. I put a lot of rounds thru this 617-1 shooting double action, speed shooting/practice drills.
https://i.imgur.com/t3rAWw4.jpg

Ended up selling that 617-1, but still had these laying around to use. left k-22 5-screw/center model 41/right k-22 4-screw
https://i.imgur.com/3TAA9Wf.jpg

Eventually either sold them all off or traded them for something else. Bought this NIB 17-3 to sell
https://i.imgur.com/qPQ45p1.jpg

Never did take a picture of a model 35 I bought to re-sell. Bought it and 2 days later took it to the ohio collectors and traded it for a USMC 40x and a still in cosmoline MAS 45.

I don't have any rimfire s&w revolvers right now and need to be watching for another 617.