PDA

View Full Version : Non-toxic shot

cwtebay
01-31-2021, 10:34 PM
Howdy,
Is there any way to make your own non-toxic shot? The cost is getting to the point of ridiculous with my family and waterfowl hunting. I have purchased steel shot, but the savings are minimal by the time I pay for shipping.
(If this is in the wrong spot I apologise).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Iwsbull
01-31-2021, 10:42 PM
I don’t know, but think it might be a bit of an undertaking to try and form your own shot if that is what your talking about. Hopefully someone can chime in with some experience. I used to reload steel shot years ago And had really good luck with it.

cwtebay
01-31-2021, 10:48 PM
I don’t know, but think it might be a bit of an undertaking to try and form your own shot if that is what your talking about. Hopefully someone can chime in with some experience. I used to reload steel shot years ago And had really good luck with it.I edited my post - I have gone the purchased shot route.

44Blam
02-01-2021, 12:19 AM
This looks pretty straight forward...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUur4ESZKw

cwtebay
02-01-2021, 12:23 AM
This looks pretty straight forward...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUur4ESZKwThat's pretty much my set up for lead, I'm looking for something like bismuth (or alternatives) that would be legal for waterfowl.

Johnch
02-01-2021, 12:51 AM
I cast Bismuth shot for duck & goose hunting in a custom mold
The mold was made by a friend
It looks just about the same idea as the Lee Buck Shot Molds

I just have to cut the pellets apart after I cast

I only cast the Bismuth shot to use in OLD Pre Steel shot shotguns
As the casting is not that hard to do
But it is slow
Also the pellets are not 100% round
As the spots where I cut the pellets apart have slight flat spots
So IMO the cast pellets "Should Not " pattern as well as perfectly round pellets
But I have never tested this

I buy several flats of Federal factory steel loads every year
But I wait till they are closing out the years shells
Normally I buy from Graf and Sons https://www.grafs.com/
As I used to work at a gun shop and could get shells delivered from Graf and Sons cheaper than I could order them through the shops suppliers

John

cwtebay
02-01-2021, 03:06 AM
I cast Bismuth shot for duck & goose hunting in a custom mold
The mold was made by a friend
It looks just about the same idea as the Lee Buck Shot Molds

I just have to cut the pellets apart after I cast

I only cast the Bismuth shot to use in OLD Pre Steel shot shotguns
As the casting is not that hard to do
But it is slow
Also the pellets are not 100% round
As the spots where I cut the pellets apart have slight flat spots
So IMO the cast pellets "Should Not " pattern as well as perfectly round pellets
But I have never tested this

I buy several flats of Federal factory steel loads every year
But I wait till they are closing out the years shells
Normally I buy from Graf and Sons https://www.grafs.com/
As I used to work at a gun shop and could get shells delivered from Graf and Sons cheaper than I could order them through the shops suppliers

JohnCan you explain your bismuth casting technique please?

Johnch
02-01-2021, 06:16 PM
I use Bismuth from Roto Metals
I mix it with tin ( Lead Free solder 97% Tin - 3% Antimony ) that I salvaged from work
But any tin will work

I alloy the Bismuth / Tin alloy to 95%/5% ( I use the lead free solder as pure tin and ignore the Antimony )

The molds were made by a friend and look like the Lee Buckshot Molds
One is about #4 the other is about B maybe BB

I use a hot plate to heat the molds , I run the 2 with Bismuth alloy and 2 pistol or rifle molds with a lead alloy
Not sure of the temp , I just use #4 on the 1 - 10 settings
I use a Lee pot ( Magnum Melter ) and a dipper to pour the alloy into the molds
I fill all 8 cavities in each shot molds and set the molds to the side ( Not on the hot plate ) and cast with other molds for about 4 min ( a guess )
I then dump the strings of pellets and repeat
I found these molds cast best when HOT , so there is a cycle time for the molds to cool and then reheat

I had the Magnum Melter and it was unused so I use it for Bismuth
I would bet about any lead pot would work , BUT I wanted a unused lead pot as the local DNR has a hand held tester to check for Lead
I didn't want to chance it picking up a small % of lead in the bismuth alloy and get a ticket

John

megasupermagnum
02-01-2021, 07:37 PM
Bismuth shot works great in a shot maker. It is as easy to make as lead shot, only with different temperatures.

cwtebay
02-02-2021, 02:24 AM
I use Bismuth from Roto Metals
I mix it with tin ( Lead Free solder 97% Tin - 3% Antimony ) that I salvaged from work
But any tin will work

I alloy the Bismuth / Tin alloy to 95%/5% ( I use the lead free solder as pure tin and ignore the Antimony )

The molds were made by a friend and look like the Lee Buckshot Molds
One is about #4 the other is about B maybe BB

I use a hot plate to heat the molds , I run the 2 with Bismuth alloy and 2 pistol or rifle molds with a lead alloy
Not sure of the temp , I just use #4 on the 1 - 10 settings
I use a Lee pot ( Magnum Melter ) and a dipper to pour the alloy into the molds
I fill all 8 cavities in each shot molds and set the molds to the side ( Not on the hot plate ) and cast with other molds for about 4 min ( a guess )
I then dump the strings of pellets and repeat
I found these molds cast best when HOT , so there is a cycle time for the molds to cool and then reheat

I had the Magnum Melter and it was unused so I use it for Bismuth
I would bet about any lead pot would work , BUT I wanted a unused lead pot as the local DNR has a hand held tester to check for Lead
I didn't want to chance it picking up a small % of lead in the bismuth alloy and get a ticket

JohnNow THAT is exactly what I was hoping to fish out of this query. Our DNR has started the same, and I reallly don't want any tickets. Thanks man!!!