PDA

View Full Version : who's made a shot dropper

wywindsor
01-31-2021, 08:42 AM
Has anyone here made one? What did you use for the tray and the nozzles? I have a pretty good idea on the tray. i think a 1/4'' plate steel bottom with 2'' sides will work. Size would be 12'' on the nozzle side and taper out to 18'' on the back. Total length of 24''. Not sure of the angle yet. i thought i would use my turkey fryer burner.

Show what you built and the size nozzle you use for shot size.

Thanks

Rcmaveric
01-31-2021, 10:01 AM
I made a redneck one out of a cookie sheet. The front bent up, slightly creased like a taco. It held 4 pounds of molten lead.. pin hole the bottom for a dripper. A short small price riveted on for a ramp. For heat I used my turkey fryer.

My coolant was dollar store fabric softener. Use a cheap couple dollar aquarium pump to keep the coolant moving. The container was a big and deep ammo can like we use for the Flares or smokes.

Not only does whole size affect shot size, but so does the heat and head pressure. More pressure and and heat the faster it drips and the smaller the shot. Vice versa as well.

Worked very well. I seives I bought from McMaster. Or screens I use as serves. Works great to great to grade the shot. I spend a week once a year and make about 120 lbs of shot. You can barely tell the difference between my shot and store bought. Mine isn't perfectly round. Its till patterns well. Bust clays and kills rabbits.

They are designs on line if you got a welder let me activate my Google foo and see if I can find them. I dont have the facilities or skills to make a nice medal hearth or ladel as they are some times called. I used to see them for sale. But not in a few years. I should have bought one when I saw it. I want a nicer set up.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
01-31-2021, 10:03 AM
For nozzle you drill a hole through the middle bolt except the last 8th of an inch. Then through the bolt head sides you drill with your desired shot hole size. Look at ebay for dripper nozzles. It tells tells you the shot size and hole so you know what hole to drill.

Rcmaveric
01-31-2021, 10:10 AM
Found it..
https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/236543-shotmaker-dimensions/

And making the drippers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0VHwsv5TjR8

farmbif
01-31-2021, 10:24 AM
let us know how it comes out when you complete it. ive heard its easier to make smaller shot sizes than larger stuff

wywindsor
01-31-2021, 10:17 PM
I only plan on 8, 7 and 5 shot sizes. I need to pattern 2 shotguns and may only want 7 and 5 shot sizes. The 5 shot is only for the 12 gauge. The 8 for trap and I hunt with 7 with the 20 and 28 gauge.

wywindsor
01-31-2021, 10:18 PM
Bigger stuff would be? If you mean buck shot I would use a mold.