PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 leverevolution brass and boolits?

Evoken
01-30-2021, 09:13 PM
I have a pile of this goofy short hornady brass and do have a box of their j-words, but am curious about using it for boolits. I do have some regular length brass also, but could I use this stuff?

I currently only have 2 molds for my guide gun, the lee 459-405hb and a recently acquired lyman 457191. The marlin does not like the lee boolit very much, as it does not feed well so I'm hoping the lyman will be better.

I cast up some of the lymans and PCed them and am going to load some soon. Since I am not worried about lube, could I just jump a groove to account for the shorter brass, or would this affect my neck tension? I would hate to have all this brass that is just useful with one particular projectile. Although the flex tips do seem.to be fairly good J's.

I did see one of the custom mold makers has a mold that has a double crimp groove to utilize the hornady brass, although I cannot remember which one.
Ken

dh2
01-30-2021, 10:54 PM
I just set the boolit to get the over all length to that of a normal case, I cast soft enough to crimp in to the the boolit

WHITETAIL
01-30-2021, 11:02 PM
Keep us updated.
I have a few boxes of that brass,
and would be curious to know.:coffeecom

bishopgrandpa
01-31-2021, 02:55 PM
I use several single shots so OAL is all that matters. Works fine with taper crimp. (Profile crimp from Redding)

Evoken
02-07-2021, 07:56 AM
I had a chance to get back to these and am going to load some up today. With the 457191 and the short hornady brass they hit at the next groove based on coal. I am planning on loading 3 ten shot ladders with reloader 7 at trapdoor levels based on the lyman load book. I should not have any issues with pressure as I'm still at proper case length. I should also be able to get a decent roll crimp on them for the lever gun.
It is about to get very cold here so I will not be shooting these for a few weeks, because im a sissy and hat single digit temps....
Ken